will a turbo back exhaust pass a ny inspection

This is a discussion on will a turbo back exhaust pass a ny inspection within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; does anyone know if a turbo back exhaust strait from the box would pass a new york inspection and if ...

will a turbo back exhaust pass a ny inspection

does anyone know if a turbo back exhaust strait from the box would pass a new york inspection and if not how would you go about making it pass a new york inspection
    thanks
    i live my life a 1/4 mile at a time

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Catted Downpipe
    Catback Exhaust w/highflow cat
    Stock Uppipe (Aftermarket Uppipe is not necessary since 06+ does not have a cat)

Thats what I would do...but I am not from NY nor do I know its emissions requirements. You should review NY's emmisions requirements before you make any purchases, as you may fail inspection on sight just based on the aftermarket exhaust.

NYS DMV - Vehicle Safety, Inspection, Repairs and Dealers
    Last edited by c2bcoolwrx; 09-03-2008 at 05:56 PM.

^^^ This will pass the sniffer test most likely but not a visual inspection.

I Support ClubWRX
    Removing a catalytic converter violates Section 203 of the CAA - this is a federal offense, so do so at your own risk.

NY requires a visual inspection of the catalytic converters - pinting out a copy of the inspection checklist and showing my NYSDEC badge got me a free exhaust when I bought my car (even though I got it at "cost" and they ended up losing $$ on the deal because of it).

Most cars only have a single cat in the exhaust, so as long as you maintain at least one, you should be fine. Most inspectors will not expect more than one cat in your exhaust, and will be fine with passing you as long as you have one (military "don't ask, don't tell" policy).

In NY, I'd recommend getting an exhaust with a HFC at the very least, to prevent any inspection issues. Technically, they have the right to remove your inspection sticker when they begin the process, and can hold your car until it can legally pass - this means you can have to buy an OEM exhaust before you can take your car from their premises (you can't drive without an inspection sticker).
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC