So how much is this citation gonna cost me?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on So how much is this citation gonna cost me? within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; The story for those interested: It was about 1:30 this morning and i was on my way home from a ...

So how much is this citation gonna cost me?

The story for those interested:

It was about 1:30 this morning and i was on my way home from a friends who lives 30 minutes away from me. I was cruising down Rt. 663 at 35 mph, posted speed limit of 30. I see a police car pass me going in the opposite direction and thought nothing of it. Out of no where, this cop pulls a u turn, throws on the lights, and proceeds to pull me over.

Cop comes up, gets my information off me, and asks me "Do you have any weapons, alcohol, or illegal substances in the car?" (asks me this 2x more). I respond no, there's nothing in the car (literally nothing). He goes back to the cruiser for about 15 minutes. He comes back, hands me my information and a form. Tells me that he's cutting me a break, but i need to have my tint off in 10 days, or a citation will be issued. He also showed me that my tint was too dark by shinning his flashlight through it . I'm tired so i just take it and drive off.

To cut to the chase:

I've got 20% tint on 7 windows in the wagon. There's no way I am going to remove my tint, as this is the first time I've had any problems or been stopped in 8 months of having it on. Plus, i think its BS that he could even tell my windows were tinted driving past me in the opposing lane at 1:30 in the morning.

Any one have experience with this type of citation? Any idea how much it'll cost me?
    ~Stan
    '04 WRB WRX Wagon (Build) - Hard Parked, AutoX Toy
    '08 WRX ~ Daily Beaten ~ '86 BMW 325es ~ "The Chump"

"I was raised knowing there is a replacement for displacement, it's called engineering."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If your tint is legal wait until a ticket is issued and fight it in court.
    I personally would never tint my windows legal or not because I've met too many people that were pulled over just because of it.
    I hope it goes well for you.

i have 30% on mine and never had a problem. he probably just gave you the ticket bc he felt dumb bc you didnt have any weapons, drugs, or you werent drunk.

i think my friends had to pay 100 bucks? not totally sure. they didnt take the tint off. just kept getting caught and paid the fine.
    stage2. cobb ap2, spt cbe, invidia dp, perrin up

Registered User Death To Ricers's Avatar
    This is the kind of stuff that makes me mad. I was pulled over a few weeks back for going 5 over. Now tell me, why do you think they are really pulling us over? Maybe to let us know they are in power? /rant
    2006 WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    You could vote to fix me a sammich.

It's not even a ticket it's a fix it ticket which means that if you show the court you got the tint remoed it's like 10 bucks.
    When you do things right people wont be sure you've done anything at all.

Crabcakes and football thats what Maryland does.

I Support ClubWRX
    NY is $75
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

A person in the know advised me that the cops in some of the local towns are in competition to see who can give out the most DUIs. Basically they will pull you over for no reason after midnight just to see if you are drinking or have drugs. As darkmantedge pointed out this cop had to come up with some bs reason that he pulled you over because he didn't find anything. It sucks but it is happening.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rexbro
    A person in the know advised me that the cops in some of the local towns are in competition to see who can give out the most DUIs.
    It's not so much a competition in that regard, but a DWI/DUI is a very expensive citation, so the city gets a good chunk of revenue, which would be why they want to give them out as much as possible.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Ballpark of $100ish
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

Quote Originally Posted by rexbro View Post
    Basically they will pull you over for no reason after midnight just to see if you are drinking or have drugs. As darkmantedge pointed out this cop had to come up with some bs reason that he pulled you over because he didn't find anything. It sucks but it is happening.
    Agree 100%. I guess I'll just have to limit my late night driving and stay on the major roads if i need to go out.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmm06 View Post
    Ballpark of $100ish
    Not too bad, considering new window tint is around $200. I think i'll just pay the citation after the 10 days are up. This is my first time having a problem after all...

Thanks for the replies.
    ~Stan
    '04 WRB WRX Wagon (Build) - Hard Parked, AutoX Toy
    '08 WRX ~ Daily Beaten ~ '86 BMW 325es ~ "The Chump"

"I was raised knowing there is a replacement for displacement, it's called engineering."

Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post
    It's not so much a competition in that regard, but a DWI/DUI is a very expensive citation, so the city gets a good chunk of revenue, which would be why they want to give them out as much as possible.
    From what I was told it is a competition between local police departments and there are police officers that pride themselves in giving out the most DUI citations. I also heard that it is a way to justify extra funding for evening patrols.

I'm not against keeping the drunks and druggies off the roads but I do object to pulling someone over for no reasonable cause.

Unfortantly I was pulled over for the same issue this afternoon. For the most part the police officer was only looking for a reason to pull me over, and to run my plates. THis is not my first time for being pulled over for this violation. What I have been instructed to do when pulled over is to roll all of my windows down, so the police officer can see in the vehical and insure his/her saftey. Now they can go completly over board and just issue the ticket, 9 out of 10 times you will get only a warning.

I hope this helps for future police encounters

Quote Originally Posted by Hold_Fast View Post
    Agree 100%. I guess I'll just have to limit my late night driving and stay on the major roads if i need to go out.

Not too bad, considering new window tint is around $200. I think i'll just pay the citation after the 10 days are up. This is my first time having a problem after all...

Thanks for the replies.
    1) You were on a major road. (why limit your late night driving?)
    2) Do not pay a fine if your tint is legal. Take the ticket to court and argue your case. You will need to prove to the judge that you are in compliance with the law. My personal advice is lose the tint because it is only another reason to get pulled over.

Vez

PA Laws - FYI

SPEEDING: (not 100% on this, but like 90%)
    -if you are being clocked by radar, you need to be going at least 6mph over the limit since the accuracy for most radar is +/-5mph. However, if a cop is behind you, they can pull you over for 1mph over the limit since their cars are (theoretically) completely accurate (which I think is laughable). How close they are to you and how far they follow you must play a factor, but I don't know what it is.

TINT:
    http://www.dot3.state.pa.us/pdotform...ets/fs-sun.pdf

I JUST called the PA DMV and directed me to a site that basically states that you need 70% light transmittance through back windshield, front and back driver and passenger windows, as well as the "wings". (By "wings" I can only assume they mean the little windows on the doors in the back that don't open.

I was also told that this was a law since 1996. I know it was a suggestion by a non-authority to the state police as a guide while the actual law only stated you "need to be able to see in the vehicle." This is absurdly vague and I can see why they adapted the suggestion as law. As to when it was "officially" a law, who knows. The front windshield is not allowed to be tinted at all and the moon roof window can be as dark as you like.

MODIFIED EXHAUST:
    http://www.dot3.state.pa.us/pdotform.../chapter45.pdf
    Pennsylvania Code
    Pennsylvania Code

I found ALL KINDS of specifics on measuring exhaust noise...and decided it's something I really have to research. There's no chance in Hades that a cop will properly do this inspection. However, I found there is an acceptable "field inspection" but have no details to what that is. Luckily, modified exhaust tickets don't seem too popular in PA, to my knowledge.

SIDE NOTE
    : It is frowned upon to have a tinted license plate cover and will pull you over for it. Technically, I believe even clear covers are illegal since you are not allowed to have ANYTHING covering your plate.

I plan on creating a post with details covering all of this as soon as I gather all of the information. (I'm just lazy/busy)
    Last edited by Vez; 06-05-2008 at 07:04 AM. Reason: because Hooked on Phonics didn't work for me
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #081
    I'm the only person born a Pirate and trained as a Ninja; I sometimes don't get along with myself..
    2007 UGM WRX STI Ltd. #081/800

I Support ClubWRX
    Tint is illegal on the front two windows here in CA. Any tint is illegal. However in NV (because of the heat) any tint is legal so check your local laws. If the ticket was written as a "fix it" ticket, then you have the option of complying or paying an elevated fine. I had 30% on the front of my old truck and never was pulled over for it (in 6 years) but always worried I would be. As such I didn't tint the front windows in my WRX, but instead did the back 3 to 20%. No big deal.

I guess you have to ask yourself this question:

Whats worse.. Removing tint 1x and paying a $30 processing fee, or Paying an elevated fine of ~$150 several separate times because "damn the man I'll do what I want!"?

Personally I'd strip it off, piss and moan about it and fight my battles elsewhere. BTW this is coming from someone who has been to traffic court (more than once) to fight (and won 2/3x) based on principle. What I learned was that its hard to win against a stacked deck.

Heres food for thought:
    The judge whom is presiding over your ticket in traffic court, is paid indirectly from the revenue generated by your citation. I believe that is the definition of a conflict of interests. In the end I learned it just wasn't worth the stress and aggravation it causes me. Choose your battles.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast