Subaru WRX Forum banner

New York State Emissions Testing!!!!!!

4K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  SD_GR 
#1 ·
Does anyone know what I'm going to need to pass ****ty new york emissions on my 2004 WRX it currently has an HKS catless up and down pipe. I bought the car from texas. Just need to know what the best catted downpipe is or if i should just have a cat welded to the downpipe? It currently is running a Forced Performance ported 16g turbo at 18psi. Need something that isn't going to cause turbo creep.

#3 · (Edited)
Look into an EWG setup (I plan to get the Grimmspeed one, because it has a bracket that holds the wastegate closed, and doesn't require you to weld the wastegate on your turbo). The HKS is not an ideal DP because of the flat-plate design (you may as well run a gutted stocker) which blocks the wastegate. This will cost about as much as a catted DP, but will give you more power.

If you don't want to go the route of EWG, I'd suggest getting a Bosal and a gutted stock 3rd cat. This will allow you to run catless, but still pass a visual inspection.

NY doesn't do a sniffer test, but it does require a visual inspection of the cats - a shop can lose its license by not doing the visual inspection. I would get a stock exhaust system and put it on the day of your inspection, then put the aftermarket one back on once you pass.

Just know that removing any factory cats is illegal, and you can be ticketed for it.

#5 · (Edited)
wrx0131 said:
You can just find some1 that will pass you for a few extra money....thats what i did.....i payed 80 bucks and they passed me
As I said before, the shop runs the risk of losing their license by not doing a visual inspection

#6 ·
Thanks for all the help. I think I'm just going to go with welding a cat to the mid pipe. Doesn't sound like a half bad idea. The only thing is this car is loud. And I know working in Ithaca there is a law that only allows 90dB which i'm sure this is much louder. lol all I need is to pass the inspection and avoid turbo creep.

#7 ·
Incidentally, an external waste gate (EWG) violates every emissions law known to man, the Geneva Conventions, and the Magna Carta. It is effectively a catless exhaust.

I'm not saying you won't get away with it, or that you will fail a test (the emissions from the EWG aren't sniffed, after all, since they don't exit at the tailpipe). I have no idea if an inspector with a keen eye will call the national guard on you. There's an easy way to find out though.

#9 ·
Sounds like a plan. You know, there are "shorty" pipe options that allow you to weld flanges on a cat, and swap the cat in for testing purposes. I follow all emissions laws in my state, but thought I would mention it so you know what options might be available to you.

#11 ·
Bosal Shorty Downpipe - Exhaust
for example.

Another thought is to buy somebody's used stock setup and have it handy. Takes little space up in the rafters somewhere and is less than an hour to bolt on when needed.

#13 ·
SD_GR said:
Incidentally, an external waste gate (EWG) violates every emissions law known to man, the Geneva Conventions, and the Magna Carta. It is effectively a catless exhaust.

I'm not saying you won't get away with it, or that you will fail a test (the emissions from the EWG aren't sniffed, after all, since they don't exit at the tailpipe). I have no idea if an inspector with a keen eye will call the national guard on you. There's an easy way to find out though.
Yes, an EWG is illegal (though, he's running catless to begin with, so obviously this isn't an issue). I was simply throwing that option out because an exhaust like the catted Invidia would be similar in cost, yet the EWG will yield higher power (both in and of itself, and due to the wastegate being blocked by the HKS DP).

SD_GR said:
Another thought is to buy somebody's used stock setup and have it handy. Takes little space up in the rafters somewhere and is less than an hour to bolt on when needed.
I would go this route. You can get them for $50-100.

#14 ·
To be fair, I remember in the 90s a German maker decided to use EWGs in their regular road cars and they went as far as putting cats on the EWG dump tube -- or so I read. In any case, the aftermarket EWGs don't go that far, and I'm now off topic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.