Moving to Jersey...emissions what?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Moving to Jersey...emissions what? within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Hey guys im moving from Michigan to Morristown New Jersey in a couple weeks. In Michigan we don't have emissions ...

Moving to Jersey...emissions what?

Hey guys im moving from Michigan to Morristown New Jersey in a couple weeks. In Michigan we don't have emissions testing, I have a catless uppipe and downpipe, I know I wont pass Jersey Emissions...but I know there are catless subies in Jersey so what are my options here?

Is there a fine you can pay or do u just get the cats installed just for emissions or what? Is there anything I can do to stay catless???? also i have 20% tint all the way around its illegal in Michigan too but I've only been pulled over like 2 times in the past year and a half...how strict are they on tint in Jersey??

Thanks guys, take care.

Derek

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dekewrx
    Hey guys im moving from Michigan to Morristown New Jersey in a couple weeks. In Michigan we don't have emissions testing, I have a catless uppipe and downpipe, I know I wont pass Jersey Emissions...but I know there are catless subies in Jersey so what are my options here?

Is there a fine you can pay or do u just get the cats installed just for emissions or what? Is there anything I can do to stay catless????
    I don't believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) NJ requires a visual inspection of the cats, so you should be fine as long as you don't throw a CEL - if they do, then just call around and tell the shop that you're catless and you need an inspection and see if any will take you (it'd be a douche move if they failed you for it after you called). If that doesn't work, you could probably pick up a stock exhaust for ~$50 to swap back on every year.

Quote Originally Posted by dekewrx
    also i have 20% tint all the way around its illegal in Michigan too but I've only been pulled over like 2 times in the past year and a half...how strict are they on tint in Jersey??
    http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/NJ/

Tint is something a cop can pull you over for because they're having a bad day. If I were you, I would just adhere to the law (in NY, it's a $75 ticket, and they'll have you pulled over for 20 min - not worth the $$/time, IMO). I had the front tint removed from my car by the dealer using the excuse that it's a ticket-able offense, so they had to eat the cost.
    Last edited by EJ257; 04-13-2008 at 07:05 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I'm running completely catless. NJ is strict on emissions/car inspections in general. Around northern NJ you will see Mobile Inspectors. If you get nabbed by them the fines per cat is up to $5000(no i'm not kidding) At the same time there are plenty who don't run them. If anything if you run a good high flow cat and your engine is in good shape you should pass the sniffer anyway.

Tint's in the front in NJ are no go. I feel as though it is almost as if they feel like giving you a ticket. Sometimes they let you roll by and sometimes they nab you. Thoughwhen they get you for that they'll look for other things to get you on. I'd still rock the tint all around. Though I'd say go with a 35% It's like the borderline.

Seatbelts are a big thing. Definitely no cell phone use, get a bluetooth.

Welcome to NJ...lol

iv gotten pulled over twice in nj for my tints. my front windows arnt even tinted... as soon as i told/showed the cop my fronts were not tinted he let me go. the one cop tried getting telling me my hks was to loud, i told him it came from the dealership and he said have a nice day.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #898Military Milita #898

AP stage 2 93 oct. maddad DP. SPT short ram intake,SPT intake heat shield,HKS carbon fiber catback,boost,MAF,volt gauges,STI springs, pioneer flip screen headunit, polk audio speakers, vortex generator,STI wing,rally armor UR flaps

I Support ClubWRX
    You're moving to my neck of the woods.

Ditch the tints. You will get pulled over. It's just not worth it.

The inspection is very strict. The local shops cannot pass you if you bribe them. They can overlook lights, tints, etc, but there is no getting around plugging your OBD2 in. Yes there is a visual test. You will have to either reinstall your cats, or get some type of engine management to suppress the cels the correct way.

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    where your moving your car will be stolen before you get a chance to have it inspected
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SonicWagon View Post
    where your moving your car will be stolen before you get a chance to have it inspected
    Morristown?

Morristown isn't that bad of an area. It's a little city area surrounded by multi-million dollar homes. Lots of nightlife too.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    Morristown?

Morristown isn't that bad of an area. It's a little city area surrounded by multi-million dollar homes. Lots of nightlife too.
    im kiddin, i have been to some neighborhoods in Jersey where 10,000 sqFt is a starter home.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman

NJ has some of the nicest and some of the worst places to live.

tramix meet trainrex, trainrex meet tramix

trainrex, tramix

trainrex , tramix

trainrex , tramix

tramix , trainrex

Quote Originally Posted by SonicWagon View Post
    tramix meet trainrex, trainrex meet tramix

trainrex, tramix

trainrex , tramix

trainrex , tramix

tramix , trainrex

that's funny. I didn't even notice. I've been using Tramix forever. But nice to you.

hey i live in morris county as well my friend failed inspection with 35% tints that came on his s4. i think any tint on the front is illegal.
    bugeye !

pm me if you need custom vinlys.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.