PA Owners, emmission question
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on PA Owners, emmission question within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Hey guys, I've been looking at downpipes to go stage 2 on my 04 wrx. I was wondering how you ...

PA Owners, emmission question

Hey guys, I've been looking at downpipes to go stage 2 on my 04 wrx. I was wondering how you guys pass the emission inspections with a modified exhaust. My area uses a visual check and the gas cap test.

Is it going to be difficult/impossible for me to pass emissions/inspection with a catted downpipe? If not, how hard (ie how much time) does it take to change the downpipe out for the factory one? If I do have to change back to stock to pass emissions, would it be a better idea to just buy a catless downpipe?

Thanks guys. I live in state college, pa in centre county. Any recommendations of nearby shops that are lenient would be great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User The Black Pearl's Avatar
    Maybe you just mixed them up or its a typo, but if you want to pass emissions you would want a catted downpipe. I am in SC a lot of weekends but I do not know the area well enough to tell you of any shops that would let a catless exhaust go. I would go with high flow catted downpipe if you have the extra $$. Saves you the hassle and smell. I think catless DP's have very minimal difference in HP anyway from what I have learned on these forums. I am planning to go Stage 2 on my STi whenever I get the money. I plan on getting a Helix catted DP. They run around $330 shipped!!

I Support ClubWRX
    State College ... fun town! I miss the Ye Olde Stickies.

Go catted. As long as your ECU was not reset a day or so prior to the ODBII test you should be fine.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I have a 04 stg 2 wrx with Cobb AP & catted dp - no problem passing obd2 test in PA.
    Last edited by rexbro; 04-03-2008 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    State College ... fun town! I miss the Ye Olde Stickies.

Go catted. As long as your ECU was not reset a day or so prior to the ODBII test you should be fine.
    Yeah, state college is fun. It's like they say, when you come to state college there are 25 things you have to do. Go to all 23 bars, visit the lion shrine, and visit joepa's statue. I made it to 5 last weekend for my 21st, but after 3 nights of drinking this was me saturday night

I was just wondering if with only 1 cat in the system, if I would fail the visual inspection part. And do all aftermarket DP's require cutting the heatshield? Thanks for the help guys!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXDrummer View Post
    I was just wondering if with only 1 cat in the system, if I would fail the visual inspection part. And do all aftermarket DP's require cutting the heatshield? Thanks for the help guys!
    The visual can vary, but I have never had a real problem. I have always told the tech when I first arrive I have a single aftermarket cat. If they then take the car in they will pass it.

The heat shield will require trimming.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX
    The visual can vary, but I have never had a real problem. I have always told the tech when I first arrive I have a single aftermarket cat. If they then take the car in they will pass it.
    +1

You should be fine with a cat, but make sure you mention this before your car goes in. They will take off the sticker as soon as they bring it in the shop, and if you don't pass, you can't drive your car away. It would be pretty sleezy if a shop knowingly took your car in that wouldn't pass.

If you can get StageII done before you leave, go to Capitaland. Fred told me that as long as there is a cat (either aftermarket or stock), they will pass you. This will give you a year to find a shop down there
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post

You should be fine with a cat, but make sure you mention this before your car goes in. They will take off the sticker as soon as they bring it in the shop, and if you don't pass, you can't drive your car away.
    Yeah, good point. I will make sure I mention it to the shop before they do any work on it. That would be pretty sleezy to take my car in and fail it.

Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post
    Fred told me that as long as there is a cat (either aftermarket or stock), they will pass you.
    I wish I could do that. But I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong) that since my car is registered in PA, I have to have the PA inspection sticker and the PA emission sticker. O well, I think it's time to discover the subaru scene in central PA and see if any locals can offer advice.

Thanks Matt

Vez
    Even though I lived in State College for 14 years, I never had my STI while I was there and never was into modding. However, from what I had heard, you might want to try a little garage right on West College Ave heading towards the golf course. Heading there from town, it's on your left and just past the Suzuki dealearship. I "heard" they're cool there, but you might want to ask around since I never went ther myself.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #081
    I'm the only person born a Pirate and trained as a Ninja; I sometimes don't get along with myself..
    2007 UGM WRX STI Ltd. #081/800

Hey I know that shop!
    I think it's on the corner of W. College & Middle St.
    A purple low rider truck is always parked outside.

There used to be another shop on W. College, around the 500 block on the right side as you're leaving town.
    Lots of Porsche's, Audi's etc. I had them work on my RX7 back in the high school days. They were always very cool, but I'm not sure if they're still around. I left town 7 years ago for Boulder, CO.

Good first post. I think I like this guy.

Welcome!

Thanks man.
    I used to hang out on awdpirates.net when I lived in CO.
    Check nasioc & tst daily for parts, and met this guy Bill in a silver wrx at the last autocross event who told me about this site.
    Good 2 b here, and just got a bunch of PA drive ideas from the Fun Drives section.

Just keep your stock dp and swap it out before you take it in. For me I know people who won't even look. As long as I don't have a check engine light they don't care.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.