Local places that will shave tires?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Local places that will shave tires? within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Hey all, does anyone know any places in NJ that will shave tires? What do you guys who use your ...

Local places that will shave tires?

Hey all, does anyone know any places in NJ that will shave tires? What do you guys who use your car as your daily driver do if you get a flat? I don't want to have to wait for tirerack.com to have to ship out a new tire shaved. Thanks
    Just remember, capitalization and punctuation marks the difference between, "I just helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse." and, "i just helped my uncle jack off a horse"
    04 Wrx Wagon Cobb Stage 2
    Blobeye Syndicate #026

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rotorocker View Post
    Hey all, does anyone know any places in NJ that will shave tires? What do you guys who use your car as your daily driver do if you get a flat? I don't want to have to wait for tirerack.com to have to ship out a new tire shaved. Thanks
    Isn't tire rack in New Jersey? I'm in Pa and whenever I order tires they'll get here in a day or two.

what the hell is a shaved tire???
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

In this thread, shaving a tire = removing tread from a new tire to make it the same size as the other tires.

Edit : Tires installed on Subaru's must be within 2/32's of each other at all four corners. If they are not equal then there can be problems with gear bits (trans, rear/center diff)
    Last edited by SeattleJeremy; 04-01-2008 at 12:42 PM.

i would have to disagree with that. 2/32 as in 1/16 of an inch? Thats very small. Your car will have no problems running tires that are a bit more than 1/16 of an inch different. Especially if say, you have two tires at size x on the front axel, and 2 at size (x+1/8") on the rear.

If subaru's truly had to run tires with that strict of tolerances, then you would see many more subarus in the junkyard or repair shops. There has to be allowances made for change in rolling diameter due to uneven wear and varying tire pressure.

I would say if you lined two tires up next to each other, to safely run them on the same axle, you should have at most 1/8" difference, or on different axles, no more than 1/4".

Keep in mind any difference in the size of the tire will affect the car greater at high speeds. So going and topping your car out with slightly different tires could potentially do harm to your car, but for everyday driving under 75mph you'll be fine as long as you stick to the above guidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by 2.0Rs View Post
    Isn't tire rack in New Jersey? I'm in Pa and whenever I order tires they'll get here in a day or two.
    Deleware
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy96gase View Post
    In this thread, shaving a tire = removing tread from a new tire to make it the same size as the other tires.

Edit : Tires installed on Subaru's must be within 2/32's of each other at all four corners. If they are not equal then there can be problems with gear bits (trans, rear/center diff)
    Ahh makes sense now...

I am familiar with tire wear and how Subaru's are very picky on it because of the diffs. and AWD.

Thanks
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmm06 View Post
    Deleware

Their website actually says South Bend Indiana as HQ with distribution centers in Georgia, Louisiana, and Nevada.
    Just remember, capitalization and punctuation marks the difference between, "I just helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse." and, "i just helped my uncle jack off a horse"
    04 Wrx Wagon Cobb Stage 2
    Blobeye Syndicate #026

Quote Originally Posted by xsnapshot View Post
    i would have to disagree with that. 2/32 as in 1/16 of an inch? Thats very small. Your car will have no problems running tires that are a bit more than 1/16 of an inch different. Especially if say, you have two tires at size x on the front axel, and 2 at size (x+1/8") on the rear.
    2/32's is what it says in the manual. It also says to rotate the tires (front to back) every 5000 miles to keep tread wear even.
    When referring to tread depth it's always referred as x/32. I don't know why, that's just what I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by rotorocker View Post
    Their website actually says South Bend Indiana as HQ with distribution centers in Georgia, Louisiana, and Nevada.
    http://www.tirerack.com/about/whytirerack.jsp

Our relationships with the major tire brands, the most prestigious wheel makers and other performance products companies ensure we’ll always have plenty of exceptionally priced, in-stock options available. We’ll be able to offer you products that are right for your vehicle, your driving style and the conditions in which you drive and won’t be limited to a certain brand or too few in-stock options. Most of our customers are within one to two business days of our Indiana, Nevada, Delaware, Louisiana, or Georgia distribution centers for timely delivery of your purchase, too!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.