Do you let her run for a bit? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Do you let her run for a bit? within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; I havent had my impreza for any really cold weather yet where I live, but I'm likely to follow along ...

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
    I havent had my impreza for any really cold weather yet where I live, but I'm likely to follow along with what alot of people here have been saying. Good thread as it answered a question I had before I got the chance to ask it. lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I'll often times start the car as I finish getting ready to leave when it's cold (5-10 min). If I forget or an unable to, I wait until the temp gauge begins to rise, and then take it easy until I reach the normal temp.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

hmmmmm... i just jump in my car and drive off, i live on a long straight road and i always punch it right away. not good i guess i should stop doing that but i prolly wolnt
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #898Military Milita #898

AP stage 2 93 oct. maddad DP. SPT short ram intake,SPT intake heat shield,HKS carbon fiber catback,boost,MAF,volt gauges,STI springs, pioneer flip screen headunit, polk audio speakers, vortex generator,STI wing,rally armor UR flaps

Quote Originally Posted by wunderboy987 View Post
    hmmmmm... i just jump in my car and drive off, i live on a long straight road and i always punch it right away. not good i guess i should stop doing that but i prolly wolnt

Uhhh yeah STOP IT!! Who pays for a new motor when it breaks wunderBOY'? Why would you treat your Subie this way?.... AND admit it lol to thousands of other enthusiasts

my car never moves until it's up to normal operating temps period. Even then I just cruise to get the drivetrain warmed up. Whole process takes at least 10-15 minutes. Every morning is cold or really cold here so my baby gets the respect it deserves. I burn literally no oil at 64k and she puuurrrs like the queen kitten
    Last edited by sekretskwirl02; 01-10-2008 at 09:43 PM.
    bye bye nice white subie

wow i guess thats the reason im burning so much oil hahah, i know u burn iol when u drive fast but didnt know u burn that much more when the engine is cold. the temp guage is below the bottem white line and im going to about 60-70 in 3rd gear lol im dumb but the car is so much fun. can i but a remote starter for it? i dont know if manual cars have them or what u would have to do to get it to work
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #898Military Milita #898

AP stage 2 93 oct. maddad DP. SPT short ram intake,SPT intake heat shield,HKS carbon fiber catback,boost,MAF,volt gauges,STI springs, pioneer flip screen headunit, polk audio speakers, vortex generator,STI wing,rally armor UR flaps

wow i guess thats the reason im burning so much oil hahah, i know u burn iol when u drive fast but didnt know u burn that much more when the engine is cold. the temp guage is below the bottem white line and im going to about 60-70 in 3rd gear lol im dumb but the car is so much fun. can i but a remote starter for it? i dont know if manual cars have them or what u would have to do to get it to work

hehe yeah they have aftermarket remote starters....I think my grandmother has one for her Mercedes. She's in a wheelchair though so she has a hard time making that looong 20 step walk to the garage.
    bye bye nice white subie

I Support ClubWRX
    You can def. get a remote starter, but good luck finding someone to put it in unless you can do it yourself. Not to many shops are willing to put one on a manual because of the liability of an idiot remote starting in gear.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    Wind chill has no effect on your car's engine.

That being said, let your car idle for 30 sec to 1 min. All you need to do is give the oil a chance to become more viscous. You may then go on your merry way keeping the engine under 3K until the water/oil temp and oil pressure have all stabilized in their normal operating range.
    Your oil is still like molasses after 30 seconds - 1 minute. 3-5 minutes warmup is ideal in sub-freezing temperatures. Much longer for Diesels.

Next time you have to change your oil, wait until it's 10-20 degrees out. Start the engine for 30 seconds - 1 minute, shut it off, and drain the oil. You'll be shocked how thick it is.

Most cars won't reach optimum oil temperature until about 7 - 10 minutes of normal driving.

The extra couple minutes only uses a tiny amount of fuel, and is much kinder to your engine.

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    Most cars won't reach optimum oil temperature until about 7 - 10 minutes of normal driving.

The extra couple minutes only uses a tiny amount of fuel, and is much kinder to your engine.

what can be done in a couple minutes of driving takes much much longer at idle i would think.

so what is a decent time to let a car idle at or below freezing. how much more stress is my engine under driving at 2k to warm up as apposed to letting the car sit in the driveway for 15 minutes.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SonicWagon View Post
    what can be done in a couple minutes of driving takes much much longer at idle i would think.

so what is a decent time to let a car idle at or below freezing. how much more stress is my engine under driving at 2k to warm up as apposed to letting the car sit in the driveway for 15 minutes.
    A ton more stress. The heat and stress on bearings from driving under load are much much higher than letting it idle with no load applied to the engine.

Stop by a local engine shop and ask them to show you a main/rod bearing that they don't care about because you want to learn. Take your finger nail and scratch it. It's now shot. Normally an eye opener to people who don't understand how delicate the insides of your engine are, and how sensitive they are to no oil situations.

I'm recommending 3-5 minutes, not 15, though 15 would let everything get up to a nice operating temperature.

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    I'm recommending 3-5 minutes, not 15, though 15 would let everything get up to a nice operating temperature.
    OK thanks i will listen to you, my car never felt warmed up after 1 minutes at all.

Wunderboy987 expect your car to break driving it that way.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

Banned
    idling for too long is also not good for your engine.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...14/031492.html

If I am commuting, I let the car warm up for 30-60 sec, and then start commuting below 3K rpm, no boost. It is a 20 mph drive for me for the first 5 min. of my trip, and by then the temp gauge is above the 1/4 tick. I keep it out of boost until it gets to operating temp.

If I want to drive the car for fun, I let it come up to temp in the driveway, and then only go easy on her for a few min of driving before I get myself up to speed

Thumbs up

wow. seems like my question stirred up some good points. some good information and feedback. thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12