Subaru snow driving tips for n00bs and everyone!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Subaru snow driving tips for n00bs and everyone! within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Tip #1 and the most important YOU ARE NOT INVINCIBLE BECAUSE YOU HAVE MIGHTY AWD!! 2. AWD only enhances traction ...

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

Post Subaru snow driving tips for n00bs and everyone!

Tip #1 and the most important

YOU ARE NOT INVINCIBLE BECAUSE YOU HAVE MIGHTY AWD!!

2. AWD only enhances traction on acceleration

- AWD does not enhance braking distance
    - AWD does not enhance turning

The only time AWD helps is when you foot is on the GAS!

AWD golden rule, if you find yourself in trouble GAS GAS GAS, touch the brakes and your done.

Subarus dont have mighty powers they turn and brake the same as any car.

Subarus tend to turn in the snow like a front wheel drive car, push push also known as understeer, you can not turn in at 20 mph in the snow and expect the car to snap into action, it will push right out to the apex and not turn. Usually putting you into a curb.

Subarus steer out of turns much like RWD cars. The back end will slide out just like a RWD car, the tip is to keep you foot on the gas because the front wheels will pull the car out of the slide into its proper path.

Always turn in slow and accelerate out, the more you accelerate out of the more oversteer you will get and the more you will have to coutersteer to keep the car inline.

That said, all inputs to the vehicle, GAS, STEERING and BRAKING should all be done in a smooth manner not modular, ON/OFF will get you in trouble real fast.

ALWAYS look where you want the car to go not what the car is sliding towards. If you are looking at the curb while the car is sliding towards it you are going to hit it, because your hands follow your eyes. Always look where you want the car to go no matter what!

Keep your eyes on the road at all times, do not fiddle with the radio or heater controls, do that when you are stopped. One glance down can spell disaster.

Keep a good following distance as we already learned above, AWD does not enhance stopping distance.

Make sure the tool behind you isnt following to close either, and if he/she is pull over and let them pass.

Most of all be safe and have fun, keep it controled and out of the ditches, stay away from heavily traveled roads and parked cars.

Watch out for hidden curbs in parking lots you are unfamiliar with.

Everyone be safe and enjoy the winter wonderland

OH and if you have all seasons, stay off the road!!!

---thank you to 'munkis' on nasioc
    Last edited by Weasel 555; 12-13-2007 at 05:50 PM.
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    Thanks weasel. This is highly useful information and I hope people can learn from your wisdom. I wish I didn't think I was invisible. That type of thinking lead me to lose control and wreck into an innocent person.

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post

Watch out for hidden curbs in parking lots you are unfamiliar with.
    A big +1 on this. I got to replace a control arm the first winter I had my rex for this very reason.

Some great advice weasel. Maybe add something about the scandinavian flick? Very useful in the snow.
    ~Selah

Quote Originally Posted by Not-EWRX View Post
    Thanks weasel. This is highly useful information and I hope people can learn from your wisdom. I wish I didn't think I was invisible. That type of thinking lead me to lose control and wreck into an innocent person.
    Yeah I become wreckless also when I am invisible
    Last edited by BigB007; 12-13-2007 at 06:12 PM.
    Bugeye Mafia #141 Military Militia #007 Hawkeye Alliance #126 The Stink-Eye Mob #92
    03 WRB WRX - Sold
    07 WRB STi - Sold
    11 SWP WRX - Current

i R in teh colllllegez

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB007 View Post
    Yeah I become wreckless also when I am invisible
    Awwe damn it all to hell. I was trying so hard to. Spell check FTL

Awwe damn it all to hell. I was trying so hard to. Spell check FTL
    Thank you come again
    Bugeye Mafia #141 Military Militia #007 Hawkeye Alliance #126 The Stink-Eye Mob #92
    03 WRB WRX - Sold
    07 WRB STi - Sold
    11 SWP WRX - Current

Quote Originally Posted by BigB007 View Post
    Thank you come again
    AHAHAH
    2004 WRB WRX Stage2+ << SOLD
    2004 PSM STi << FOR SALE
    Blobeye Syndicate # 32
    Dirty Crew # 32
    Quote Originally Posted by RealDealTarheel View Post
    They're usually way too busy popping their BOV's at me anyways. If I put an anti-neon sign on my FMIC I'd really never get to grocery shop in peace.

after driving in the ice and slush yesterday, and NOW I read this. I started to slide todards a outside curb, and I was lighlty on the thorlttle, stupid me, lightly got on the brakes and made it worse, then I just slowly reached 35-40% throttle to power out of it, and of couse, started drifting....past a cop that gave me a thumbs up, hahaha!!!

NOTE: this is my first ever winter in the Subie and learned to drive in snow with a Altima [R.I.P.] and Tracker

verdict...snow is fun...ice....is, um.....not

~Clinton
    Last edited by Clin10; 12-14-2007 at 11:10 AM.
    2007 OBP 2.5i Special Edition 4EAT
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #080
    Current Mods: SuperBrightLED 194W 6-cluster parking lights; 7443 15-cluster brake lights,'05 WRX rims, WRX axleback, DRL disable, Perrin replacement Filter, 8000k HID kit, intake silencer delete, RA UR flaps, OEM foglights, and Shock Sensor

im guessing this thread was posted from the 5 or more people saying how they wrecked their cars. haha nice tips though!
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

Banned
    Some good links for people shopping for snow tires
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh weasel
    just get the size recomended for the wheels your going to use.

Also as for snow tires, check discounttiredirect.com or tirerack.com , unless your local tire places have good deals.

Nokian Hakka2's:
    http://www.tirefactory.net/Hakkapeliitta%20Q.htm

Blizzak LM22's:
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=Blizzak+LM-22

Dunlop Wintersport M3's
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....inter+Sport+M3

Hankook W409 ipike (imho best choice)
    http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fin...d=007040&ar=55

I Support ClubWRX
    Awwe damn it all to hell. I was trying so hard too. Spell check FTL

You spelled invisible right. Unfortunately, you meant invincible.

I would not want to be responsible for teaching some of the inexperienced drivers here to "flick". Sounds like trouble to me
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

luckily for me I'll never need snow tires down here.
    if it ever snows here I'll personally shoot Al gore and say "where's your global warming now, bish?"
    unfortunately, it hasn't snowed here in years...

I Support ClubWRX
    A few more tips:

Never think "It won't happen to me". It can, and it will.

Never think you have complete control over your vehicle. You don't, and your car will show you that any chance it can.

I know driving in the snow seems like fun when you're young. It really isn't. It's stupid and dangerous. Stay off the road when you can. If you really have to go somewhere, try not to go there rush hour. During rush hour your chances of getting hit are HUGE. Most people during rush hour don't want to be there, and are petrified of driving in the snow.

Leave TONS of distance in front of you. You don't realize how much room you'll need when an emergency stop is in order. You stand a good chance of having to performing one too. Many people can and will lose control in front of you.

Don't rush. Keep it under 40 on snow packed highways, under 25-30 on well traveled side roads, and under 15-20 on side streets. If the roads are ice covered, cut those speeds in half.

Try to drive in the ruts made by vehicles in front of you. The snow in those ruts is more shallow. Most people won't use the fast lane in the snow, and it will be deep and treacherous. If the fast lane hasn't been traveled very much, stay out of it. If you question why, just look at all the crash marks on the divider. Try to change lanes as little as possible. When changing lanes grip the steering wheel firmly. While changing lanes the ruts wll pull you all over the place. Most accidents on the highway are caused by this. (I believe this is what Erik did)

When stopping, you have a choice. Steering or brakes. You cannot do both at the same time unless you have a really good feel for the brakes (which most inexperienced drivers don't).

Oh, and don't drive like a d1ck!
    Last edited by Trainrex; 12-14-2007 at 12:29 PM.

have to totally agree, i took my suby in a curb on an off ramp the first month i got it. It was raining and i went into the turn 40mph over the suggested, im sure the rain didnt help. The only mistake i made when i started to slide was to tap the brakes. From there it all went down hill. Lets just be said again GAS GAS GAS argghh brakes!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.