Subaru snow driving tips for n00bs and everyone! - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Subaru snow driving tips for n00bs and everyone! within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; +1 Thread of the winter. I think that just because the wrx is 'rally inspired', some think that they can ...

+1

Thread of the winter.

I think that just because the wrx is 'rally inspired', some think that they can just go out there and be rally drivers.

a BIG +1 on stopping distance. The car still weighs the same - if not more (some people don't know or are just too flipping lazy to clean the snow and ice on their cars)

AWD systems are very useful in the snow and rain, however.

Thanks, muppetmaster.
    LET'S GO COLTS!!!
    I have 5 infraction points. What do you have?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    Oh, and don't drive like a d1ck!
    i resent that....

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by efmd3 View Post
    i resent that....
    I knew you would

I knew you would
    i'm such a d1ck...i should legally change my name to d1ck instead of ****.

then i wouldn't get censored so much...on this site at least.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by efmd3 View Post
    i'm such a d1ck...i should legally change my name to d1ck instead of ****.

then i wouldn't get censored so much...on this site at least.
    That's sig worthy

That's sig worthy
    wow. it was almost...automatic

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxlude View Post
    I think that just because the wrx is 'rally inspired', some think that they can just go out there and be rally drivers.

What the do you mean?? I <3 my rally car, its crazy the looks people in minivans give you when you implement the flick on public roads.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

I'm glad it didn't snow while I have this:

1994 Leggy L 2.2L 2WD loaner car [same paint and pinstripe but w.o spoiler]
    2007 OBP 2.5i Special Edition 4EAT
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #080
    Current Mods: SuperBrightLED 194W 6-cluster parking lights; 7443 15-cluster brake lights,'05 WRX rims, WRX axleback, DRL disable, Perrin replacement Filter, 8000k HID kit, intake silencer delete, RA UR flaps, OEM foglights, and Shock Sensor

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Clin10 View Post
    I'm glad it didn't snow while I have this:

1994 Leggy L 2.2L 2WD loaner car [same paint and pinstripe but w.o spoiler]
    What are you talking about?
    Ive passed Jeeps and tahoes putting on chains in my slammed integra on summer tires, FWD is great in the snow you just have to know how to drive.

for the record I made it to mt hood 10+ times in ice and snow on street tires.
    Ive seen sooo many suby wrecks cuz people think the awd makes them fast.
    All it does is get them in trouble because they accelerate fast but stop and turn slower due to the added weight.
    KNOW HOW TO DRIVE AND YOU CAN GO ANYWHERE!

Here is me in a 1980 Yota pickup 2wd gettin it done. NO SANDBAGS BTW
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...02018661377045
    Last edited by low430; 12-14-2007 at 09:52 PM.

well it can also be preference. for me, I am more used to AWD since I put 15k miles on my Impreza in 8 months, so I know my cars' handling characteristics better than most other cars I get a chance to drive. the Altima died before I for my lisence, so I didn't really drive it in snow except to move it around the block. the Tracker 2.5 LT was easy because I was used to the 4WD system on it, so when I got the Subie, it was second nature of what to do in the snow, it is just lower, and weight transfer is different [althoguh the Tracker for me is better] I am just used to 4WD/AWD, and takes me a GOOD while to get used to FWD [case-in-point, this Legacy they gave me] I am still not used to turning and not even really touching the throttle in dry weather due to it having bad tires, and an open diff, so the wheel just takes over when it wants to and starts spinning enough to be audible. in my mind, I am still in my Impreza, and I know that is a bad thing, but if I had to be behind the wheel of a 2WD car as much as I have been under my car, then I would've easily made the transition.

on a good note: I do love the boxer sound in it, lol. EJ22e Phase I FTW!

~Clinton
    2007 OBP 2.5i Special Edition 4EAT
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #080
    Current Mods: SuperBrightLED 194W 6-cluster parking lights; 7443 15-cluster brake lights,'05 WRX rims, WRX axleback, DRL disable, Perrin replacement Filter, 8000k HID kit, intake silencer delete, RA UR flaps, OEM foglights, and Shock Sensor

Needless to say, only my white car will be driven in the snow or ice... and only if I have to, and only at a max of 10mph...

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    Tip #1 and the most important

YOU ARE NOT INVINCIBLE BECAUSE YOU HAVE MIGHTY AWD!!

2. AWD only enhances traction on acceleration

- AWD does not enhance braking distance
    - AWD does not enhance turning

The only time AWD helps is when you foot is on the GAS!

AWD golden rule, if you find yourself in trouble GAS GAS GAS, touch the brakes and your done.

Subarus dont have mighty powers they turn and brake the same as any car.

Subarus tend to turn in the snow like a front wheel drive car, push push also known as understeer, you can not turn in at 20 mph in the snow and expect the car to snap into action, it will push right out to the apex and not turn. Usually putting you into a curb.

Subarus steer out of turns much like RWD cars. The back end will slide out just like a RWD car, the tip is to keep you foot on the gas because the front wheels will pull the car out of the slide into its proper path.

Always turn in slow and accelerate out, the more you accelerate out of the more oversteer you will get and the more you will have to coutersteer to keep the car inline.

That said, all inputs to the vehicle, GAS, STEERING and BRAKING should all be done in a smooth manner not modular, ON/OFF will get you in trouble real fast.

ALWAYS look where you want the car to go not what the car is sliding towards. If you are looking at the curb while the car is sliding towards it you are going to hit it, because your hands follow your eyes. Always look where you want the car to go no matter what!

Keep your eyes on the road at all times, do not fiddle with the radio or heater controls, do that when you are stopped. One glance down can spell disaster.

Keep a good following distance as we already learned above, AWD does not enhance stopping distance.

Make sure the tool behind you isnt following to close either, and if he/she is pull over and let them pass.

Most of all be safe and have fun, keep it controled and out of the ditches, stay away from heavily traveled roads and parked cars.

Watch out for hidden curbs in parking lots you are unfamiliar with.

Everyone be safe and enjoy the winter wonderland

OH and if you have all seasons, stay off the road!!!

---thank you to 'munkis' on nasioc
    Why are you so wise! Young grasshopper thanks you for imparting this knowledge to teh unlearned. lol
    He grows so strong...he can kill our admins.

WRC > //////NASCAR

Bugeye Mafia #155
    Military Militia#187

people needed to read this before this crap shoot that was driving in southern new england yesterday.

And one more tip from me. Assume everyone you see sucks at driving in the snow, and give them enough space. This has saved me from a few fender benders.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    I know driving in the snow seems like fun when you're young. It really isn't. It's stupid and dangerous. Stay off the road when you can. If you really have to go somewhere, try not to go there rush hour. During rush hour your chances of getting hit are HUGE. Most people during rush hour don't want to be there, and are petrified of driving in the snow.
    Thursdays storm wasn't nice where I was - I had no issues maintaining control of my car (with proper driving), but I got nearly hit three times by people being retarded in their cars and coming into my lane while trying to turn on to the road. Though, I was driving at 8pm and 4am (the trip back to the apartment was probably due to them being drunk).

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    Don't rush. Keep it under 40 on snow packed highways, under 25-30 on well traveled side roads, and under 15-20 on side streets. If the roads are ice covered, cut those speeds in half.
    You should never rush on the roads. If you get pulled over or get in an accident, you're going to lose more time than you'd have made up. Go the speed limit, or if you must, a few over (I have a friend who goes to school in Boston, and driving below 80-90 in MA is impeding traffic, so I understand going 5-10 over lol).

@low430 - links are broken
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast