NJ inspections.. Help!!

This is a discussion on NJ inspections.. Help!! within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Does anyone here lives in NJ ( somerset / edison ) area? I got a hard time from the NJ ...

NJ inspections.. Help!!

Does anyone here lives in NJ ( somerset / edison ) area? I got a hard time from the NJ inspection station in Edison Kilmer Ave.
    How do you guys with Mods. pass Inspection in NJ.
    I just moved from NY.. I knw ppl in NY that pass modified cars.
    But in Jersey.. I'm nobody. I failed tinted windows .. exhaust..
    PLEASE HELP!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by VinWRX28 View Post
    Does anyone here lives in NJ ( somerset / edison ) area? I got a hard time from the NJ inspection station in Edison Kilmer Ave.
    How do you guys with Mods. pass Inspection in NJ.
    I just moved from NY.. I knw ppl in NY that pass modified cars.
    But in Jersey.. I'm nobody. I failed tinted windows .. exhaust..
    PLEASE HELP!!
    Front tinted windows will never pass. Emissions, you need at least one Cat in your exhaust system...so either of those fail= automatic fail.

Best thing to do is find a ma and pa shop and see if the will "overlook" those issues. That or remove the tint and put on a stock/catted DP at least for the inspection...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Does anyone in NJ knows any mechanic shops.. or outside inspection shops that will over look thes items?
    C'mon so many moded subie.. u all pass inspection??

Does anyone in NJ knows any mechanic shops.. or outside inspection shops that will over look thes items?
    I don't need inspection until 2010 in my STI. New cars FTW!!!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

my experience is very limited but ...

I believe that NJ state inspection places won't pass you if you're tinted in the front or over the rear brake light; the same if you don't have a cat from the turbo back and most def. if you have CEL issues. Someone told me that private inspections cost you but may pass you unless you're having CEL issues.

Perhaps, if you have no CEL issues, you might check out local private inspectors if you want to keep your tints.

OFF TOPIC: I dislike NJ tint and front plate requirements.
    '07 STI UGM: Protuned Cobb DP, Walbro, Prodrive BCS; Cobb heat shield; extra stock rims with Hankook iPike W409's; Subaru hitch mount; a Limited roof and wing
    '02 WRX PS: quick & trouble free but sold with 110K miles
    mods

I never had a problem finding a shop who would pass me when I had a civic. Most independent shops will only check the emissions, and won't bother with the rest. Find a local shop and "hint" at your dilemma, see if throwing some cash their way will help.
    Hawk-Eye alliance #052

I'm also into photography!
    Check out my photos: My Flickr

Here's what you need to do.

Find a tint shop - give them $50 for a reciept saying that they installed your tint 2 weeks from today. Take this reciept and find a small mom and pop type inspection center and have them perform your inspection. Show them that reciept so that they can say you didn't have tint on the car at the time.

Good luck.

Oh, and if you have any CEL's, then I doubt anyone is going to pass you. FWIW - I'm catless, and I pass. You don't need to have any cats on the car to pass, you just need a cat sensor to report "ready". I believe you can stick a resistor in the O2 sensor plug to do it. I think that's what was done on my car, but I really don't know, since I don't do any of my own work anymore. I don't do the tint thing anymore either, too much attention from cops. Plus I've yet to see a perfect tint job that didn't have at least one or two bubbles somewhere. Tint doesn't clean as well as glass, and that always bugged me too.
    Last edited by Micah; 09-25-2007 at 09:19 AM.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

guys any private shop inspection .. recommandation?? on RT1? RT27? or RT18?? In edison // n.brunswick area?

guys any private shop inspection .. recommandation?? on RT1? RT27? or RT18?? In edison // n.brunswick area?
    Do you have any CEL's?
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."

No cell.. only tints..

No cell.. only tints..
    I can probably get you inspected at my friends place. How noticable is the tint? I'll be heading there either late this week or early next week. You may have to take the tint off the front wndows - I'll ask and find out when I'm there for my alignment (had a leaking strut, sent to Tein for overhaul, now just waiting for the part to be sent back), so bump this thread in a week - and hopefully I'll have an answer for you.