Really Bad Experience at Precision Dyno Tuning

This is a discussion on Really Bad Experience at Precision Dyno Tuning within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; JUST TO CLARIFY, THIS POST IS ABOUT PRECISION DYNO TUNING. THIS IS NOT ABOUT PRECISION TUNING... THEY ARE DIFFERENT SHOPS. ...

Really Bad Experience at Precision Dyno Tuning

JUST TO CLARIFY, THIS POST IS ABOUT PRECISION DYNO TUNING. THIS IS NOT ABOUT PRECISION TUNING... THEY ARE DIFFERENT SHOPS.

well, i wasnt going to post this, but i really should let everyone know whats going on, and the guy over there just pushed me over the edge... here's my story...

a dyno day was set up for a group on tristatetuners.com but the details are really not important. here's the copy/paste from the response i just typed over there...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [everyone buckle your safety belts, and get ready for some lengthy but interesting reading...]

lets start at the beginning, which is about how nick knows nothing at all about the UTEC (my engine management). he told me a few things that he believed to be true about its limitations which didnt sound right to me so i posted them on nasioc asking what the deal was. you can read that thread here http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=771110 , but let me just summarize and tell you that the majority of responses were that i should absolutely not have my car tuned by him. I also heard from a handful of people in the area that they would not feel comfortable telling me to have my car tuned by him.
    However for some reason, I figured i'd show him around the unit and software, he'd take things slow, and we'd come together with the ideas that we have to get a good tune that i'm comfortable with. not everyone wants to go balls to the wall, some are more interested in a safe tune and i was assuming that he'd take the customer's needs into consideration.
    on the day of nick could only talk about money all day long, and how not as many people as originally planned were going to come and that he wasnt going to make any money. he also told me when we were sitting in my car that he'd recommend that i come back for a real tune at another time because for this little amount of money he wasnt really going to do all that great of a job. tuning should only be done well in my opinion, no half assed jobs allowed.
    i'm getting ahead of myself though, lets start with the little cronie who pulled my car onto the dyno. i didnt plan on anyone getting driving lessons in my car that day. i asked him to pull it up slowly and he proceeded to launch my car forward and scrape the hell out of my beloved bumper. then he burned my clutch up the rest of the ramp before getting stuck at the top and having to get some lessons on how to get it up the rest of the way. thats a real good way to begin a dyno run... Rolling Eyes
    now lets talk about how nick didnt ask me a thing about my mods. intake, upgraded turbo, ic? even the octane of fuel i was running? nope...
    we did a baseline pull and he saw i was making about 10.8 AFR through the powerband, and popular belief has it that thats a conservative, but good place to be on a WRX. i told him i wasnt really concerned with my fuel but more my timing however he said he wanted to 'tweak' a few things. now you would think that the way to tune would be to go into an already existing map, and raise or lower the values already there, right? yeah, thats the logical thing to do... well nick went in to my fuel map, erased ALL of the values from roughly 50%-100% load and 3000-6000 rpm and filled them back in with 0, 1, 2, 3. the values used to range from -2.5 to 5 roughly, being that fractions of numbers did make a noticeable difference here.
    we did another pull and my AFR was hitting 12.5 which is suicide for my engine. i told him i wasnt comfortable with my car running there and i just wanted to use the fuel map i already had on there. i suggested that we just work on timing instead. nick gave me an ultimatum... either trust him to know what he's doing or not tune the car. i obviously didnt trust what he was doing, so i told him that. he told his cronies to "get this car off my dyno now!" and even though i asked him nicely to do a few pulls just to see where I was at he said no that he wanted my car out of his shop. I wanted to pay to do some pulls, but apparently I was no longer welcome to.
    So there ya go Nick, I gave you the garbage that you wanted. And so everyone knows, I didnt stretch a thing here. I'm not going to say that everyone that day was unhappy, but I can guarantee that the majority of those there were not impressed at all and you wont be seeing them again. The general lack of professionalism at the shop, and nick's *no cursing!* attitude is something I would never want anyone to have to deal with again.
    Bryan
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel lucky that I got off that dyno when I did. Of course the mustang dyno is great to have in the area and thats why I was there, but that was definitely a mistake. Anyways, hopefully nobody else takes their subaru there to get beat up on.

Bryan
    Last edited by Wrinkleboi; 06-07-2005 at 02:54 PM.

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Precision Dyno tuning is different then Precision Tuning, who indeen still owns every other shop in NJ.
    Last edited by 302@12psi; 06-07-2005 at 01:19 PM.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Is this Precision Tuning in Brick, NJ or Precision Dyno Tuning, a different company?

I think it is important that you distinguish between the two (or if its the same company and I'm an idiot)

Thanks.
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

indeed, it is important to note that Precision Dyno Tuning is who I am talking about. I am not talking about Precision Tuning, who I have heard nothing but excellent things about.
    Bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

Wow,
    that guy sounds like a complete jackass, and a "noob" for that kind of stuff.

Sorry you had that happen.

Did you mention the front lip to him?
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

yeah this is def not Precision Tuning in Brick , NJ ....they dont have a dyno....still awesome place, i believe best in this area, i hope nobody gets mixed up here....

and sorry about your bad experience, that really sucks man.

Now I know why I thought Precision Tuning in Brick NJ did tuning. I was kind of shocked when I talked to them and they said they didn't even have a dyno. Two companies with close to the same name in the same area.

Glad you cleared that up cause I would have thought is was Precision Tuning..

I just called Precision Tuning and got a quote of $750 for my turbo install, not bad but I didnt read all the post and thought they had a dyno but they dont.

Yipes. Sounds almost as bad as my experience with the self-appointed all-knowing "master tuner" Jim N aka PlatinumWRX. UTEC butt-dyno tuning while you wait. We dont need no steeenking dyno. Or wideband. Or grasp of basic mechanical concepts...