Want To Buy Turbo for 06 WRX upgrade..haven't decided which yet..what you got?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Turbo for 06 WRX upgrade..haven't decided which yet..what you got? within the Tri-State Local For Sale Only ! forums, part of the Tri-State category; Looking for a bolt on turbo upgrade for my 06 WRX...have a FMIC and full TBE already w/ Cobb AP ...

Turbo for 06 WRX upgrade..haven't decided which yet..what you got?

Looking for a bolt on turbo upgrade for my 06 WRX...have a FMIC and full TBE already w/ Cobb AP stage 2, and would like to not have to upgrade my fuel system minus maybe the fuel pump...

There are so many conflicting threads and opinions of which turbo to buy, I can't decide.

It's my DD so don't want anything too crazy. I'd be happy right around 300whp with a quick spool that doesn't taper off too quick.

So come at me with whatever you have and I'll go from there...

Thinking VF34, 39, or 43. or some form of 16g, 18g with 8cm.

Let the fun begin.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    what's your transmission situation? And do you care about upgrading your injectors?

If you don't want to upgrade your injectors... the vf39/43 is your best bet.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX
    Lucky you don't have to upgrade your fuel injectors for a vf39, I had to...
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    what's your transmission situation? And do you care about upgrading your injectors?

If you don't want to upgrade your injectors... the vf39/43 is your best bet.
    i Have an 06 Wrx with the stock 5spd tranny...not opposed to upgrading the injectors..can find them cheap and often, never done it on a subie though..how much a pain are they to do?
    I just feel like since i already have the AP, front mount, headers, uppipe, and big Catless TBE i should utilize them and put something bigger than a VFxx on...although Cobbs OTS maps for the VF39 and FP TD05 18g aren't much different and the 18g only adds like 5hp as per their OTS maps...

In a nutshell...

Best turbo in your opinion for minimal lag/bog down at low rpms that doesn't leave me hanging around redline, fairly smooth power band for daily driving, noted reliability, that will get me between 275-350WHP with a fairly moderate pro tune, (injectors and pump if needed), and the mods i have currently while not blowing up my 5MT tranny?? Is that even a realistic goal? LOL..

Thanks for your time man, you've already been a lot more helpful than one of the moderators on NASIOC.

I've also been told the VF series and the 16g are almost too small for the 2.5l...I've never researched an upgrade that had soooo many conflicting opinions....my head is spinning..I'm about to just throw them all into a hat and pick one at random...ha

I Support ClubWRX
    Vf series are not too small for a 2.5l. Sinister has a vf39 with a 6 speed, and it is amazing. I also have a vf39 in my 2.0l, which is awesome. I guess its a matter of opinion.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

Quote Originally Posted by yamaha_rider619 View Post
    ...I guess its a matter of opinion.
    I know, that's the problem..ha..i just want to only have to do it once, at least until it blows up in the distant future...

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't think the VF39 is too small. They're cheap. And it's about the max you should be putting on your stock transmission.

I got 300whp and 350 wtq out of mine, (293 and 346 actually)... and that's a good amount of power out of a car that started at 180whp
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    The 18g only adds 5whp per the OTS maps, but it's because the OTS map is limited for your stock injector size. You can get a lot more airflow out of that 18g than you can the vf39, but you'd need 650cc injectors to handle it.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Thanks man you've helped me narrow it down to 2...VF39 or 18g with a moderate tune...VF39 sounds pretty good, cause if you got 300 from it starting with 180whp i can definitely hit that if not a little higher cause i believe the 06's start with 202whp right?

I love that I found the most help so far in my WTB thread and not one of the appropriate threads..ha

Sinister,

Is $350 shipped for a VF39 with about 12,000 miles on it a good price? sounds like a steal.

I Support ClubWRX
    Sorry I am not sinister but: one thing that is with the vf39 is they can get a wg crack. Many people say they are fine with the wg crack, but i would not buy something with a crack in it. $350 is about average for what used vf39s go for with that kind of mileage. I bought mine 3 months ago, about 10,000 miles with no wg crack for $350 shipped.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

thanks for the reply and info...i've heard about the cracks, and this one did not have it...i am finding good prices on used 16g'sand a great price on used blouch 20g, just dont know if i wanna go that big...found it for around $400 i think it was with less than 5,000 miles

I Support ClubWRX
    I read you said you wanted to use a cobb ots map, you can only use a vf39 or a FP18G with the cobb accessport.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast