Want To Buy Turbo for 06 WRX upgrade..haven't decided which yet..what you got? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Turbo for 06 WRX upgrade..haven't decided which yet..what you got? within the Tri-State Local For Sale Only ! forums, part of the Tri-State category; I plan on getting a custom pro tune anyway cause I have the front mount and catless TBE. You think ...

I plan on getting a custom pro tune anyway cause I have the front mount and catless TBE. You think my tranny can handle a mild to moderate 20G tune if I upgrade injectors and pump?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX
    Sinister would need to put his input on that question. The catless does not mean anything, I run catless and worse case scenario you see a boost spike. I haven't yet and I even called cobb to ask about it before I used the vf39 map.

How much power are you honestly looking for? A vf39 has plenty of power for a DD, IMO.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

I Support ClubWRX
    The amount of power that you'll gain with a "mild" 20g tune (I'm assuming you mean a td05 20g if you're not looking for a ton of power) isn't going to be worth it in my opinion. You'll have to get an upgraded clutch, upgraded injectors, etc.

I feel like anyone and everyone should have a protune that is past stage 2. The gains are worth it. Let's put it down on paper:

used and in good condition VF39: $350 dollars
    install: Couple hundred
    Off the shelf accessport map: free
    VF39 tune: $200-$400 dollars depending on tuner
    power: 280 - 300whp

20g: $1200-1600
    install: Couple hundred
    850cc Injectors: $550
    Install of injectors: depends on shop.. look at several hundred dollars (300-500)
    fuelpump: $100
    install: $50-75
    clutch/flywheel upgrade: $900
    clutch/flywheel install: $500-$750
    Dyno Tune: $200-$400
    Power: 330-340whp

Until you want to go big... the VF39 is the best way to go.

I just got a 6spd installed so I can get a TD06 20gXT and run it on E85... that turbo can touch 400whp... but it's not the same as your mild setup that you're wanting. If you look for TD05 20g dynos online they hit 335whp regularly.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I love my 16g
    278whp 286tq blouch 16g @ 17.5psi
    "My 02 wagon build" http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/everyd...gon-build.html
    Operation Iraqi Freedom x3
    WRX wagon MAFIA #68

Thanks Kevin. Only reason I asked about the 20g is because I found a used Blouch 20g with under 5,000 miles that on Craigs list that the kid just wants to get rid of. Asking $450, offered him $400 and I know they run over a grand new which this one practically is. Aside from the fact I wouldn't have to pay labor as I can do the work myself(aside from the clutch) just cause I hate doing them on anything other than RWD vehicles and would rather pay someone), I see your point with the minimal gain I'd get in return. Just a hard deal to pass up, especially since it's a Blouch.

You've definitely talked me into the VF39 for what im currently seeking, only negative I see is the cracking problem...just indecisive and worried about wanting more power in the future. I should just buy 20g and flip it for a few hundred more to pay for my VF39..haha..Thanks for all your help guys.

Vf39 or look into into a Blouch PnP TD04...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Thanks for the advice man...Although I am learning a ton and welcome free advice and information, I think this thread is being mistaken for a "need help" thread instead of a WTB.

Let me clarify because i was vague in the OP...I welcome any and all advice and information..however I am looking for a turbo too so let me know what you got...

EDIT: I'm pretty set on a VF39 or VF43

Unless a better deal on something else comes along then I'd definitely consider it.

I Support ClubWRX
    You should start a brand new thread with a WTB for VF39 or VF43 in the title. And post it in the main forum instead of the tristate forum. You'll get a better turn out. I got a new in plastic vf39 for $375 shipped. Miracles do happen!
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

ha..nice...yeah i've spent the entire day yesterday and today doing nothing but researching and searching...there should be a separate "Turbo Sale, Want, and Trade" Sticky like people do for trunk and tail lights...seems to be just as popular of a supply and demand item...just a thought...

I Support ClubWRX
    Most people don't trade turbos though
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    Most people don't trade turbos though
    I just meant more of "Looking for" and "Have for Sale" Sticky. Trade I just meant for people trying to go back to stock to trade in or sell. Not so bad on here, but NASOIC could definitely use the feature.

I Support ClubWRX
    If there is one thing I've learned from being a member of this website for 5 years... Not a Single Person Looks at Stickies!!! lmfao
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

haha...Use the CAPS LOCK on them...I always look the ones with uppercase words in them, they demand more respect..lol...there's a little tip That one's free..haha

I Support ClubWRX
    How much will the tip on fixing my girlfriend's jetta cost? Lol.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast