Redline vs Mobil 1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Redline vs Mobil 1 within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok So went to buy Redline and got sold on the Mobil 1 75w-90. How good is the mobil one ...

Redline vs Mobil 1

Ok So went to buy Redline and got sold on the Mobil 1 75w-90. How good is the mobil one fluid? I want to run an 80/20 mixture with syncromesh since i have a crappy syncro in 2nd. Im going to put it in on Sunday so tell me what you think before i use this stuff so that if i need to buy something else i can.
    2003 Platinum Silver Metalic Sedan
    VF-34 Powered
    My Mods
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian
    Even if your car was stock, your chances of warranty coverage are about as good as a retarded chimp trying to do a calculus problem while high on pcp.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

first of all, what is it about the mobil1 that made you buy it over redline? imo redline is great stuff; i've been using it for years and have good luck with it. mt-90 in the trans and 75w90 in hte diff
    07 WRX TR | 03 mazda6
    man a whole mess of nachos sounds good right now
    ***Hawk-Eye Alliance #95*** Kachow!!

your talking the GM Syncromesh right?

id go Redline over Mobile one any day of the week.
    wagon...thats right

Well I have been using mobil one motor oil for many years, and the shop no longer carried redline. So he sold me into the mobil one. Is there going to be any problems by running it? And yes i was going to run 80/20 with GM Sycromesh
    2003 Platinum Silver Metalic Sedan
    VF-34 Powered
    My Mods
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian
    Even if your car was stock, your chances of warranty coverage are about as good as a retarded chimp trying to do a calculus problem while high on pcp.

You screwed up man, I assume by now, if not soon you will find out about why many people on this board don't like the Mobil 1.
    clutch, shift, gas, clutch, shift, gas, shift, clutch, gas, clutch gas, shift... oops!

I've been running Mobil 1 in my trans for a few months. It is absolute crap and I am draining it as soon as I get some Redline 75w90ns. I may throw in a bit of synchromesh as well.
    2003 WRB Sedan. Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by scooby-x
    OMG!!! Do you want me on my knees or bent over? I love you

is there anything wrong with running 100% syncromesh?
    dude one time i tried to put the trailer bully into the coiler, and I got all messed up

Its not a GL-5 oil...its GL-4 if I remember correctly. Of course adding synchromesh to a GL-5 oil technically makes it less than GL5.
    2003 WRB Sedan. Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by scooby-x
    OMG!!! Do you want me on my knees or bent over? I love you

Amsoil

Anyone run amsoil in any of there cars? I am running amsoil in motor oil, and plan on switching my diffs and tranny to amsoil as well. Just wondering if anyone else is doing that? by switching to Amsoil motor oil I gained 2 mpg with no change in my driving, my car starts smoother and idls at a little lower rpm and it runs just a touch cooler. Let me know what you guys think.

Bill... dont quote me on this but i have heard that Amsoil is garbage for the trans. Most people go with a mix of GM syncromesh and mobil 1 for the tranny (not sure about the diff). Do a search though it will tell you more than I can...
    dude one time i tried to put the trailer bully into the coiler, and I got all messed up

Okat, Thanks I will do some more research first

Well i switched to.....Amsoil Severe Gear Oil about 6000 miles ago ...and all i can say is that the tranny shifts better than it did off the showroom floor....it glides into gear perfectly each time...also there is much less gear whine / chatter noise when decelerating in second gear from 4000 rpm and above....on stock fliuid it sounded like the tranny was gonna shred it self....now with the Severe gear Oil it is a lot quiter and there is very little bucking when letting off the gas in second gear....

Then again im using Amsoil Severe Gear Oil instead of the regular Amsoil Smurf oil

Cool thanks for the info on the sever gear lube. Are you running any other amsoil products in your car?

I just got back from getting my tranny and diff oil replaced. I went with a 66/33 mixture of Redline 75w90NS and MT90 in the tranny, and 75w90 in the rear diff. I took it out on a twisty back road that I could row through all the gears and it feels great so far. I was starting to get an occasional grind going from 1st to 2nd quickly, like from a stop light. We'll see if this mix solves that problem.
    '02 Alpine White WRX Wagon - PDXTuning EcuTek Stage 2 + TMIC
    Some stuff that makes it cooler, unless you work for Subaru, in which case it's completely stock.

I run amsoil series 2000 20w50 in my tranny in the wrx and also in the eclipse. Seems to work pretty well in both.

When I change the fluid in the wrx again I'll probably go with redline shockproof lightweight, I liked that better during cold mornings, currently the tranny is like pudding when its first started and I don't remember that with the shockproof, thats my only complaint.

Jay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast