Royal Purple Gear Oil going in
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Royal Purple Gear Oil going in within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well the shifting in my transmission is really getting to me so I have decided to swap change the stock ...

Royal Purple Gear Oil going in

Well the shifting in my transmission is really getting to me so I have decided to swap change the stock fluid(24,200mi) for Royal Purple. I will be heading down to Precision Tuning for the swap. I was originally going to do Red Line Shockproof but I called the guys at Prescision and they said that from their experience, they like the Royal Purple. After hearing such wonderful things about them, Im going to trust them. It cant hurt anything and probably can only make it better so I will see how it goes. So when it is all said and done I will post an initial review and probably keep up with it as the mileage increases.

On a different note I was already impressed with the guys from PT when I called them to ask a question regarding a noise in my engine bay. After talking to them more today they sound like an awesome shop to deal with. I will post about them tomorrow as well.
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

"Days get shorter, nights get longer, snow gets deeper, life gets better."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The guys at PT recommended Royal purple for me on my first fluid change, and I've used it ever since. I've never had anything but good things to say about it and my gearbox. I think you'll be happy with it, and I have no doubt that you'll be pleased with the service those guys give.
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I just swapped into Royal Purple and I love it. My shifts are plenty smoother over the old fluid put in after tranny was replaced. I called the Subaru dealership and they said that Subaru's should never have Redline put in them because it doesn't coat the gears well enough, they recommended Royal Purple or Mobil 1 and I went with the good stuff. At $8 a qt. its kind of expensive but its worth it.

Wll all I can say is wow about this fluid. I noticed a difference the first shift off the lot. The notchiness is still there but now I do not have to exert as much effort. It jusst kinda of glides in. The car just seems to be happier as well. The shifts are smooth. When you let off the gas in 2nd gear at about 2500rpms, the car doesnt buck like it used to. I just love it.

As for the guys at PT, I was dealing with Rich today and he was one of the nicest mechanics as well as people I have ever met. Veryknowledgeable and we just BS'ed while the work was being done. I asked if they could change my oil as well since it would make my life a little easier and I was over due any way. While they were under the hood, they noticed one of my clamps, more specifically the one going from teh turbo to the y-pipe, was missing. THey replaced that and buttoned up my lower splash guard. All in all great experience with them and I would definately recommned any one in driving distance go down to them. Rich spent time with me on the phone the other day discussing my fluid options and eased my mind about the Royal Purple.

Steve. I was asking about your car. I asked him about the whole dip stick in the tranny. We kinda had a little laugh about that. Anyway...
    Royal Purple=
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

I Support ClubWRX
    Dan, I'm glad to hear you like everything! The royal purple is just great, i love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarisSnT
    Steve. I was asking about your car. I asked him about the whole dip stick in the tranny. We kinda had a little laugh about that. Anyway...
    Royal Purple=
    It's a lot easier to laugh about now that it's fixed! lol
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

pt did my tranny with royal purple so far its pretty good.

i dont have the manual, how much fluid do i need? and what kind of royal purple do I need?

I've used Royal Purple before and it feels nice at first, but it seems to degrade quicker than the other stuff I've tried. I have found a transmission oil change starts out feeling good with whatever you put in there (within reason) and then degrades slowly over time. It kind of sneaks up on you until you change it out and then go "Wow! This stuff is great!".
    clutch, shift, gas, clutch, shift, gas, shift, clutch, gas, clutch gas, shift... oops!

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxraaca
    i dont have the manual, how much fluid do i need? and what kind of royal purple do I need?
    3.71 quarts of 75w90 just buy 4 quarts put 3.5 in and go from there on the dip stick. You do have the manual transmission right?

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s
    I called the Subaru dealership and they said that Subaru's should never have Redline put in them because it doesn't coat the gears well enough, they recommended Royal Purple or Mobil 1 and I went with the good stuff. At $8 a qt. its kind of expensive but its worth it.
    Hmm... has anyone else heard this about Royal Purple vs. Redline? I'm running Redline Shockproof HD and am very happy with it so far... BTW, we're talking about transmission fluid, right?

I've also heard that Mobil 1 really isn't quite as good as say Amsoil is.

-C
    Chris
    '04 PSM WRX Sedan
    Blobeye Syndicate #8

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cannibal869
    Hmm... has anyone else heard this about Royal Purple vs. Redline? I'm running Redline Shockproof HD and am very happy with it so far... BTW, we're talking about transmission fluid, right?

I've also heard that Mobil 1 really isn't quite as good as say Amsoil is.

-C
    Redline makes a few different gear oils. I know the shockproof is good, but I've always heard people using the Superlight not the HD.

Have a gander HERE for a nice writeup on some gear oils and redline stuff in particular.
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno

Well after 2 and a half weeks and 2k miles later, the fluid is still great. The shifts are nice and the effort for each shift is significantly less. I no longer have to force any gear into place and it just glides in on its own. There is still notchiness but that is just the result of the tranny being poop. I definately will recommend this to anyone not liking their stock 5 speed but cant afford new gears.
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

I have also tried out Redline and in no way does the Shockproof have issues coating gears. I was changing out the lightweight to try something else and I had to run 2 changes of regular to clean it out... and even then I'm not so sure. My generic 80w90 seems to be hanging in there quite well, I don't know when I'll need to change it out to the 75w140 NS thats sitting under my bed.
    clutch, shift, gas, clutch, shift, gas, shift, clutch, gas, clutch gas, shift... oops!

i've heard that you could drain the royal purple, ruin it through a mesh filter and just put it back in and run good as new... or atleast thats what i've heard about a few people doing around here that run it in their drag racers/daily drivers
    Me ni utsuru kono yo wa jigoku to iu

Quote Originally Posted by EvilCerealBoX
    i've heard that you could drain the royal purple, ruin it through a mesh filter and just put it back in and run good as new... or atleast thats what i've heard about a few people doing around here that run it in their drag racers/daily drivers
    What kind of super fine mesh filter could clean that? I barely had any metal in my transmission fluid when I changed it, but the RP seemed to be like water.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.