warranty clutch/trans work?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on warranty clutch/trans work? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; A bit after changing my trans/diff oil, I've started to have grinding getting into 1st gear sometimes. It's not often ...

Angry warranty clutch/trans work?

A bit after changing my trans/diff oil, I've started to have grinding getting into 1st gear sometimes. It's not often enough that it's a serious worry, but I want to make sure there's nothing wrong with the car. I bought it used from the dealership, and I think that the previous owner may have abused the car a bit.

I took it to the dealership to have them look at it, but they told me this: before any clutch or trans work is done, a SOA rep needs to take the diff and clutch apart and make sure there's no "abuse". If they find any, I lose my warranty and get charged for the work they just did. That work is 6 hours (just for teardown and putting it back together) at $88/hour. If there's nothing wrong with it, I owe them for the 6 hours anyways.

What should I do? I really don't want to drop ~$500 for them to take a look at it. I haven't abused the clutch or trans at all, but I don't know what the previous owner did to it. They said that any abuse would have shown up before now, but I somehow don't trust them.
    2003 White Sportswagon
    Mods: Cobb stg 2 (STX map), Whiteline strut braces, SRBs and swaybars, Kartboy rear endlinks, 04+ rear swaybar mounts, Hawk HPS brake pads meeting Powerslot front rotors, Bridgestone Potenza RE-01Rs, some stereo
    Pending: some more stereo. Front endlinks?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Damn dealers. I used to get grinding going into first all of the time. Some people will tell you to rev match others will tell you to use a different transmission fluid. I put a quart of penzoil synchromesh and the rest vavoline 75w90 and the grinding has yet to come back after 20k miles. I would say change your fluid first, then make a decision.

You can use Penzoil or GM synchromesh fluid. You can find the GM at any GM dealer and some auto parts stores carry the Penzoil stuff.

GM Synchromesh = the bomb. If the dealer told you that garbage about your clutch take it to another dealer. My car brand new after 6k miles and many many many many launches started to have some grinding issues into third(syncro goin out). I had uppipe/downpipe/catback, took it in to my dealer, the replaced the clutch(worn to crap), two synchros and two gears. They said I should get one free clutch under warranty so they just hooked me up while they were in there and showed me how beat to piss my old one is. You are getting ripped off. Feel free to use my case from DuTeau Chevrolet/Subaru in Lincoln Nebraska if they give you any grief, or try to take it to another dealer. Plendy of my friends have gotten free clutches/synchros with mods and abused trannies in this area.
    07 Mercedes-Benz E350
    Saks Fifth Ave Edition

04 WRX VF34+TMIC SOLD
    12.62@108 1.7 60'
    295whp & 302tq on Mustang Dyno
    MODS

Quote Originally Posted by Cavadini
    GM Synchromesh = the bomb. If the dealer told you that garbage about your clutch take it to another dealer. My car brand new after 6k miles and many many many many launches started to have some grinding issues into third(syncro goin out). I had uppipe/downpipe/catback, took it in to my dealer, the replaced the clutch(worn to crap), two synchros and two gears. They said I should get one free clutch under warranty so they just hooked me up while they were in there and showed me how beat to piss my old one is. You are getting ripped off. Feel free to use my case from DuTeau Chevrolet/Subaru in Lincoln Nebraska if they give you any grief, or try to take it to another dealer. Plendy of my friends have gotten free clutches/synchros with mods and abused trannies in this area.
    The dealership told me that the days of 1 free clutch/trans is over. Can anyone vouch for otherwise (in which case I'll just go to another dealership)?
    2003 White Sportswagon
    Mods: Cobb stg 2 (STX map), Whiteline strut braces, SRBs and swaybars, Kartboy rear endlinks, 04+ rear swaybar mounts, Hawk HPS brake pads meeting Powerslot front rotors, Bridgestone Potenza RE-01Rs, some stereo
    Pending: some more stereo. Front endlinks?

unless they changed this in the past few months the days of 1 free cluitch are still goin on
    07 Mercedes-Benz E350
    Saks Fifth Ave Edition

04 WRX VF34+TMIC SOLD
    12.62@108 1.7 60'
    295whp & 302tq on Mustang Dyno
    MODS

Quote Originally Posted by Cavadini
    unless they changed this in the past few months the days of 1 free cluitch are still goin on
    If this is the case at every dealer than i have to make a visit to mine too. I'd love to use new clutch, and first gear synchro because it grinds as MOFO
    I actually worked it out, when you're in neutral, car running and you depress the clutch and put it in 1st right away it grinds a bit but goes in, if you put it in neutral again and put it to 1st again fast it grinds again. It doesn't grind only when you hold it against 1st for a second and allow synchros to "catch up", but hell, it souldn't take this long. And forget about regular shifts from 2 to 1st.
    Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.