what to replace differential fluids with? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on what to replace differential fluids with? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i run redline 75W90 in the rear diff and Heavyweight Shockproof in my tranny never, ever, had an issue. gobs ...

i run redline 75W90 in the rear diff

and Heavyweight Shockproof in my tranny

never, ever, had an issue.

gobs and gobs of rally stage miles.. not one issue.

Jamie

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ok so what is the difference between running the shockproof and the normal red line 75w90NS? and whats the difference between the 75W90 and the 75W90NS? my wife is the primary driver of the car and doesnt really drive rough at all. i drive it sometimes and i drive harder than she does but no where near rally or track wear and tear. my intentions is to keep this car until it either gets totalled or rusts into nothing so i just want something that is gonna improve the shifting quality and make my drivetrain last as long as physically possible
    It is better to have others think that you are a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

02 WRX 44k - sold 2/28/5
    96 Corolla 128k
    92 Corolla 160k
    88 Accord 208k
    90 Voyager 242k

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyL
    im at a little over 40k and stil on stock differential and transmission fluid all around. what is a good replacement? preferably something synthetic
    Chocolate Syrup
    --Chris
    2011 DGM WRX hatch - Kartboy SS

04 WRX wagon - 304whp Mods - SOLD
    LISC #3
    www.longislandsubaruclub.com

good article
    It is better to have others think that you are a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

02 WRX 44k - sold 2/28/5
    96 Corolla 128k
    92 Corolla 160k
    88 Accord 208k
    90 Voyager 242k

So far the best and longest good feeling fluid in my tranny has been dyno 75w90 with synchromesh, second Redline 75w90NS + shockrproof, third regular dino 75w90, fourth ShockProof Lightweight, and lastly the Royal Purple that felt way too thin in the end. I also run shockproof in the rear dif. For now I will stick with regular dino that I have to use to flush out the green stuff .

The guy that changed my rear dif fluid last time tightened it too much as I can't budge it to do it myself. I'm going to have to go back to the mechanic to change it again and this time ask them to use a torque wrench .
    clutch, shift, gas, clutch, shift, gas, shift, clutch, gas, clutch gas, shift... oops!

I did what Cobb said MT90 and was very happy. 1st gear had gotten unavailable to downshift untill 10 mph. MT90 and just like 11000 miles when the tranny finally broke in. I will swap it again in the spring and 75w90 ns in the rear.

I dont do too much racing, but i drive my car hard maybe twice a week, but mostly commuting, and no autox for me or track days... would the redline 75w90ns in the rear diff and redline MT-90 in the tranny be a good combo? because after reading cobbtuning, they seem to have MT-90 for tranny and 75w90ns for rear diff , but...

Quote Originally Posted by scooby24
    I just asked this question to Redline

75w90ns for the tranny

75w90 synthetic for the rear diff.
    redline says this? Also if I were to go with the above combo... where did you guys find your 75w90 synthetic... I cant seem to find that one online, all i see is mt-90 and 75w90ns

I drive my car hard once in a while, but not extreme like autox or the track, i just want smooth shifts and good protection... gas mileage isnt as important... basically a good balance combo of oil
    Last edited by MisterFast; 01-18-2005 at 12:40 PM.

i guess its safe to go with what cobbtuning said on its site.

check redline's site for vendors of what you are looking for. That's what I did. May not be cheapest but sometimes....

i read on jscspeed.com that the mt-90 was a GL-4... isnt that bad for our trannys? cobbtuning said its ok to use mt-90 but... i dunno which site is correct... cobbtuning says its ok to use mt-90... but then again jscspeed said mt-90 is a GL-4 and people say we shouldnt use GL-4 in our trannys... who am i supposed to believe.

should i just go 75w90ns in both tranny and rear diff...

well as for the rear diff... i think im gonna go with the redline 75w-90ns.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    All of the contradictary info on the sites, contradictary info in the threads- NS worked great/it sucked, MT worked great/it sucked, vodoo on mixtures of different formulas- al lead me to the shockproof. I never have read a complaint w/ anyone using it.

From a warranty standpoint I can see the point on the color though- this stuff is not your "typical" looking gear lube.

Big Sky
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12