Tranmission Fluid mixing?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Tranmission Fluid mixing? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I checked my transmission fluid the other night, and it looked a little low (right on the lower dot). So ...

Tranmission Fluid mixing?

I checked my transmission fluid the other night, and it looked a little low (right on the lower dot). So I looked up in my manual for what kinda oil to add, and I noticed that it warns against mixing different brands of tranny fluid. Unfortunately, it doesn't say what brand the car comes with stock. Does anyone know if mixing fluids would actually be a bad idea?
    --Ben
    2005 WRX Cobb Stage 1

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

No it shouldn't be a problem. Check the bottle to be sure but most will say on them that they will mix with other brands or synthetic/non-synthetic ok. You could also go to Subaru dealer and buy some fluid from them at overinflated prices.

Quote Originally Posted by tarbaj
    No it shouldn't be a problem. Check the bottle to be sure but most will say on them that they will mix with other brands or synthetic/non-synthetic ok. You could also go to Subaru dealer and buy some fluid from them at overinflated prices.
    Yeh, gotta love those dealer prices. Maybe I'll call and ask them what they sell and then go buy it somewhere else. Our trannies come filled with non-synthetic, correct?
    --Ben
    2005 WRX Cobb Stage 1

I got the same problem. Were there any issues when you mixed the transmission fluids?

If you have never done your transmission fluid before, you've got two choices. You could just throw some more in and keep chekcing it while your car is running and at operating tempurate....Or you could drain and fill. If you have a manual transmission you're supposed to be doing that anyway every 30k about. And it's the same thing as differential fluid

Every 30K! Shoots, I'm behind. I just bought 4 qts of Valvoine 85w-90 (dino juice). Thanks for the info.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.