keep foot down on clutch pedal = bad?

This is a discussion on keep foot down on clutch pedal = bad? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i was talking on nasty-yok about downshifting and someone told me that if i keep my foot on the clutch ...

keep foot down on clutch pedal = bad?

i was talking on nasty-yok about downshifting and someone told me that if i keep my foot on the clutch to long while im at a light it can hurt my throw out bearing? like what i do is instead of downshifting i put th eclutch down go into nuetral and jsut keep my foot down on the clutch and "coast" and when im at a light i keep my clutch down on the foot..............is this really bad? wouldnt it be worse if lifted of the clutch? im so confused help me
    Fadi....
    04' WRX, Stage 4 with fmic R.I.P
    05' WRX STI, 325whp 346wtq @17psi
    MODS
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailboss
    Enough of the bloody titties show.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yes, holding in the clutch pedal puts excessive wear on the throw-out bearing. This will lead to premature clutch failure.

Waiting at a light you should shift to neutral and take you foot off the clutch pedal. This will not wear you clutch plate as there is virtually no difference in tranny vs. engine speed.

I go to neutral every time I think or plan to stop for more than 4-5sec.
    Silver -02 Impreza WRX

Ok.. I have been driving stick for all my life and think I got it right

When coming to a red light I can do that in 2 modes..
    1. Cruising mode
    2. Agressive mode
    ----
    Mode 1.
    -I apporach the light, release throttle and uses the gears for breaking.. Apply break if needed..
    -When rpm drops to under 2k I usually press the clutch, put shifter in neutral and relases the clutch while still breaking easy, coming to a complete stop at the red light..
    -When I see the light shift to green I shift into first gear and drive off..

Mode 2.
    -I apporach the light (or more often a turn or crossroad), breake late and hard, toe and heel shifts into next lower gear, repeate the prossedure if needed..
    If it's a redlight I still shift into neutral, relase clutch. When I feel or see it's getting green I shift into first and gets the revs up

In both senarios I in most cases go to neutral...

Hope this helps
    Silver -02 Impreza WRX

i usually leave my clutch pressed in when i stop. if its a long light i let off and put it in neutral. ive never heard of problems with it. you learn something new everyday...

Registered User GetawayInBouldr's Avatar
    The throwout bearing is not a continous load bearing. Keeping it compressed for extended periods of time will cause premature clutch failure. When your at red lights, release the clutch pedal after shifting into neutral; your clutch (and pocketbook) will thank you for it!
    ~ Silver Wagon Club ~

true dis
    Fadi....
    04' WRX, Stage 4 with fmic R.I.P
    05' WRX STI, 325whp 346wtq @17psi
    MODS
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailboss
    Enough of the bloody titties show.

great info...i'm in LA and consistently in traffic...my car thanks you and the forum

odd. i've never heard this before. i've also got 65K on my car, with no real clutch wear issues. (occasional cold shudder in the mornings)

dR

I'm not saying your clutch will be worn out. But it's better to be on the safe side
    I have no problems with my wrx, but the again I never sit in a redlight holding down the clutch..

I once broke a clutch on my old BMW. It was my first car, and I used it daily to deliver newspapers.. I was never shifting to neutral, just depressed the clutch in first gear when stopping at a mailboks.. After 1.5 year of doing this everyday the clutch failed..

My mechanic told me that it was my fault because I was holding down the clutch to much.. (He was a friend and knew that I was using the bmw for my newpaper route)

Don't know if it's fact or not.. But I'm going to neutral because of what he and my driving instructor learned me..
    Silver -02 Impreza WRX

After hundreds of thousands of miles with multiple manual tranny vehicles I've never lost a clutch, despite my best efforts. I keep the clutch in at lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Downforce
    After hundreds of thousands of miles with multiple manual tranny vehicles I've never lost a clutch, despite my best efforts. I keep the clutch in at lights.
    Upon further reflection yesterday, I do take the car out of gear and let up on the clutch if I'm at the light for any amount of time.

Just don't ride the clutch. Don't toss it into neutral at a light and slow down with the brakes. Just downshift. Unless you're afraid of singeing someone behind you cause you are running catless w/ a atmospheric BOV. Different story.

Quote Originally Posted by EtherealWRX
    Just don't ride the clutch. Don't toss it into neutral at a light and slow down with the brakes. Just downshift. Unless you're afraid of singeing someone behind you cause you are running catless w/ a atmospheric BOV. Different story.
    Brakes are the cheapest and easiest to service part on the car, use them as much as possible. If you're downshifting to slow up, you're using the engine and the clutch to do the brake's work.

Quote Originally Posted by KoreanBeefcake
    i usually leave my clutch pressed in when i stop. if its a long light i let off and put it in neutral. ive never heard of problems with it. you learn something new everyday...
    '02 WRB WRX
    '92 Civic Si