Bad Synchros - What are the Symptoms?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Bad Synchros - What are the Symptoms? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; How would one tell if the synchros were going bad? -snowcat...

Bad Synchros - What are the Symptoms?

How would one tell if the synchros were going bad?

-snowcat
    <---- my cat doing a hawkeye impersonation!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

grinding while shifting from one gear to another..

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Weapon wrX
    grinding while shifting from one gear to another..
    That pretty much sums it up

is this a common problem with WRX's, i just bought my car 2 days ago, and it will grind every once in a while goin into first,

are the syncros covered on the tranny warranty? cause i still have the factory warranty left.

yes its covered but when it comes to the tranny, dealers always try and screw you over saying it was from abuse... only thing i can recommend is wait til you come to a full top before going into first and/or put GM(pennzoil) synchromesh... it does wonders
    Me ni utsuru kono yo wa jigoku to iu

Quote Originally Posted by Blackpeon
    is this a common problem with WRX's, i just bought my car 2 days ago, and it will grind every once in a while goin into first,

are the syncros covered on the tranny warranty? cause i still have the factory warranty left.

Unless the usdm wrx is made of really poor parts it's no common problem on the wrx..
    Silver -02 Impreza WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Roffa

Unless the usdm wrx is made of really poor parts it's no common problem on the wrx..
    Many people seem to have trouble with the 1st and 4th gear synchros. They don't seem to have a very long life span.

Thanks for the info - just wondering as I'm going in for 15k service soon and my 1-2 shift has become guesswork. A third of the time when I shift, as I let out the clutch it's like I've pressed on the brakes and the car feels like it wants to completely stop. I don't hear or feel a grinding, but I feel resistance (not when moving the shifter, when moving the clutch pedal). Seems like weird behavior...

-snowcat
    <---- my cat doing a hawkeye impersonation!

Bring that in to get checked out quick. Your problem doesn't sound like synchros, it sounds more like a shaft or gear issue. This very well could get covered under warranty.

Good luck
    Life is just one unifinishable project

Anyone know of a place to buy a full set of WRX 5-speed synchros?

sry to raid the thread but everytime i switch from 3rd to 4th above 3.5k it grinds, bad synchros?
    Bubis
    04' Aspen White Wrx
    ~Stock Turbo~
    231 whp
    ??? tq

Same problem here had a bad grind going into first gear unless i went into second then first. ( does this align the syncros?) and above 3.5 rpm a slight grind into 4th. my 02 is out of warrenty. I jsut had the cluth replaced today back to OEM. I have a lightweight flywheel and now I dont get a grind going into first but still once in a while i get a slight grind going into fourth. This still a syncro problem? and how much to fix?

TIA

get pennzoil/gm synchromesh like said earlier in this thread. i did it along with my friend in our wrxs. It eliminated all grinds. the pennzoil version is cheaper than the gm one by half the price.

Where do i buy the pennzoil syncromesh at. I have called several auto retailers and no one carries it. I found the Redline product and they say it is just as good or better but it is 9$ a quart.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheMileHighWRX
    Anyone know of a place to buy a full set of WRX 5-speed synchros?
    I have had a synchro problem in my 2002 WRX since about 6 months after I bought it. It was one of the "test drive" cars that dealerships used to not rack up miles on all the other cars. Needless to say I gout a good price on it however, there was already damage done to the transmission. I have taken in my car about 4 previous times to have the first gear synchros fixed and the dealership would never do it quoting various reasons. My car was at 58,000 miles and I was going on a week vacation and thought what the heck, I'll try it one last time. My DAD took in the car and the dealership really didn't want to fix the problem.... but they DID! Not only did they replace the first gear synchro, but all gears and synchros 1-4!!! I couldn't believe it! Here are the part numbers used: (sorry Invoice gives no descriptions)
    32214AA610
    32605AA140
    32219AA280
    32251AA700
    32652AA012
    32001AA160
    32650AA051
    32650AA032
    32231AB011
    32614AA101

You can order parts and look up descriptions at http://www.subaruparts.com

I am very happy with Pitre Subaru in Tempe!
    Take care

Darksaga

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.