Help STi RA trouble
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Help STi RA trouble within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Whats up everyone... Sti RA gearset is in. Me = not happy. Gears 1-4 are great. 5th gear, doesnt work. ...

Help STi RA trouble

Whats up everyone... Sti RA gearset is in. Me = not happy.
    Gears 1-4 are great. 5th gear, doesnt work. gear pops out under throttle. Guy who built it thinks the hub for 5th might be upside down. dont know what im gonna do... i guess synchros can only be put on one way, so its either a hub or an unsolved mystery.

Callin rallysport tomorrow to see, what exactly could be the deal.
    Im glad i only gave a small deposit, and not the whole 1600 bucks.

Really hope i dont have to pull the whole trans assembly to fix 5th, since its not in the main case...

If anyone could lend me some subaru gearset knowledge, id be very gracious

till then, me = depressed
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    STi RA gearset October 4th,STi Trans Mount
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Did you ever get this solved?
    Creeping up on creeping for a decade.
    Bugeye Mafia V2 #322

Well at least it seems that it is an installation issue (once again) and not a problem with the gears themselves....

what kind of shifter do you have on your car? i've seen the perrin cause something similar to this once, reverting back to the stock configuration for the shifter resolved the issue. . . but it was with second gear not fifth.

update... filled the car up with gas, dropped my liability insurance, got on the waiting list for a new set of STi RA gears. My subaru joined the Disabled List, till a new set of gears come over to Rallispec. could be month(s).

I want a fresh RA set installed in MY transmission, because i know that i bought a trans with mixed early 2002 and late 2002 parts.
    One particular bearing appears to be the problem.

Here are my options

1: Wait for a new set from japan, and have rallispec install it

2: have rallispec pull the RA gears, speedo gear3/4 shift fork, and shift rod out of the the tranny that isnt working....(mixed model year parts) Start from scratch, and have them install above parts into MY transmission (all 03 parts).

anybody have a suggestion? ive got plenty of time to think on it
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

SBW
    ouch that hurts, forgive me but I don't understand what exactly happened with your first tranny that had the RA gears.

It sounds like it was a piecemeal box put together with different model year parts that you bought with RA gears already in it? Or did you take your own box out and have RA gears installed? Was it by Rallispec?

Im pullin my hair out... i dont know what to do... but yea its confusing...

I paid 600 bucks down on a transmission (02 case with RA gears)
    I spent 650 some odd dollars to pull my busted OEM trans, and install the 02 case and RA gears.

I plan to trailer my car to hainseport with my oem 03 tranny in the backseat, have Rallispec pull the malfunctioning RA box, and do one of the following

1) Install fresh gearset into my 03 trans, and upon returning from jersey, give the other guy his trans back in exchange for my deposit i gave him (600) problem is... a LONG BACKORDER, could be months before i get to schedule an appt

2) Open both cases, and pull all the RA parts from the 02 trans, and have my 03 trans built with those RA gears, (Rather than wait on a list for months...) If everything worked and Rallispec was confident, then i would give the other guy another 400 bucks, and an empty 02 case with misc parts.

RA gears for a grand is a deal, but ive already blown 600 bucks in labor and ive gotten nowhere...
    03 MBP WRX Sedan

Personally I'd feel a lot more comfortable starting from scratch with brand new RA gears and your 03 box, taking the hit and just letting the car sit for the time being. If you've already cancelled some insurance and put her away, waiting for the right parts will certainly not be that much of a hassle considering that you'll know it's getting done properly this time.

$.02

SBW
    I think Rallispec doing the box would be in order at this point. I don't think installing the gears would honestly be that bad or hard for an experienced shop to perform though. It seems that the shop who put the 02 box in was the same people you bought it from. Only you know if you really trust them, but as for me, I'd be sketchy about dealing with them again at best.

I have an appt at Rallispec for the 28th of September, so maybe I'll see you there!

SBW
    either way Rallispec is installing RA gears into my 03 box.

You got an appointment already? what are you getting done?
    03 MBP WRX Sedan

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.