Change To Syn Gear Oil Now!
Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Change To Syn Gear Oil Now! within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Lots of people mention the subject, but maybe it needs it's own thread. Change your gear oil to synthetic as ...

Change To Syn Gear Oil Now!

Lots of people mention the subject, but maybe it needs it's own thread.

Change your gear oil to synthetic as soon as you can. I used Mobil 1. One gentleman (he inspired me) used Redline. It might be better but its hard to find, here.

Keep the car level (no ramps, you can reach the drain) and drain every drop of the old oil. Mine only has a few K miles on it. Since my car is lowered, I needed my skinny son to get at the drain plug. Don't lose the washer!

You'll need a long a$$ funnel. Then dump in that Mobil 1.

I think the owners' manual is wrong in the capacity. It calls for 3.75 quarts. I used 4.

Then go for a drive and be prepared for a seriously dramatic change in your shifting and transmission behavior. It's hard to believe it's the same machine.

Go figure.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Russ,

Previously, I have used Amsoil in my transmission in my old Acura GSR. It was better in many ways, but I did notice that there didn't seem to be enough friction for the synchros to function properly. I found that a half and half mixture seemed to be right.

Do your synchros still function with full synthetic?

Bill

Bill,

I only have a few miles on it since I changed the oil and haven't noticed a problem yet. I'll watch out for it though.

Russ

lots of people use mobil 1 gear oil with no problems....but all the mechanics I talked to say wait till about 30K miles so the gears wear in properly.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Just ran 180 mi. to a SCCA rally (the sooby won) over some of the greatest road I've ever driven. Rt 522 Nort from Rt 60 in VA. What a road. Lots and lots of shifting. No synchro problems. Skinny son an I loved it.

I have 4 qts of Mobil 1 gear oil sitting in my garage right now. I'm gonna change it as soon as I get a chance to.

Cool gear oil

What about vibrations/noise when you down shift gears?
    does anyone think that the fluid could be related to that?

Maury red wrx

Maury,

I'm hearing less whining and the "sound like It's in reverse" noise.

Russ

HATE that "sounds like i'm in reverse" noise...reminds me of the sound the cars on the Jetsons made. bleah
    go f*** yourself

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX
    you'd be hearing alotof that sound if your car were ridin' on dog gears
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm sure this has been mentioned, but check out this article:

http://www.cobbtuning.com/tech/gearoil/index.html

I really like my Redline ShockProof Superlite - box and rear diff. We put Lightweight in my buddy's Impreza L yesterday. He says it's great but I haven't tried it yet. For him it fixed some synchro problems he was having.

edit: tried it. he's right. it's great.
    Last edited by GV27; 06-26-2002 at 03:40 PM.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

There are enough documented "grinding problems with synthetic" on i-club that I ended up putting regular gear oil back in the trans, while changing to Red Line synthetic for the rear diff.

I was also wondering if synthetic oil of mobil 1 is as good as it used to be considering that they now use "hydrocracking" to produce a "synthetic" base from petrolium. They sued Castrol for doing in the same thing with their "synthetic" oil but Mobil lost the suit, and afterwards also adopted the practice which is MUCH cheaper than producing a true synthetic base (and since the price hasn't changed, they just pocket the difference). the old Mobil 1 was rated for jet engine use...the new one is not. From what I've read, it still a better base than regular oil, but it no longer provides NEARLY the performance it used to (like extended temperature resistence since its now back to being hydrocarbon based rather than graphite) and is really not worth it anymore...and if you change your oil every 3000 miles there is NO noticable difference in wear and performance.
    go f*** yourself

Re: Change To Syn Gear Oil Now!

Originally posted by russ
    I think the owners' manual is wrong in the capacity. It calls for 3.75 quarts. I used 4.
    Sorry I didn't get to this thread sooner, but BE CAREFUL:

Overfilling your tranny or differentials can cause serious problems like blown seals and such. The cases are not meant to be completely full.

An extra 1/4 quart shouldn't hurt anything, but I just wanted to make this point clear to everyone!

-Jim

Jim,

After a day or two of running, I rechecked the level and it was 1/4 qt. high. I took the Mitey Vac and removed the excess.

Russ

Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast