Change To Syn Gear Oil Now! - Page 8
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Change To Syn Gear Oil Now! within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; the link you posted is for a aftermarket subaru vendor. I would not consider this to be a "recomendation" from ...

the link you posted is for a aftermarket subaru vendor. I would not consider this to be a "recomendation" from subaru. The redline oil is the same description from the redline site.

just my 0.02

If anyone knows what material our synchros are made of this will answer the question.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by squeeler
    the link you posted is for a aftermarket subaru vendor. I would not consider this to be a "recomendation" from subaru. The redline oil is the same description from the redline site.

just my 0.02

If anyone knows what material our synchros are made of this will answer the question.
    GL-5 is recommended in the owners manual, page 11-24 and 11-25

As for the link and description, I was just trying to help point out some of the differences between GL-4 and GL-5 fluids. Sorry for the confusion
    Last edited by bdoug; 03-27-2003 at 09:17 AM.
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Ah ok thanks. You cleared up my question too. Thanks for looking that up

Do you know if the factory uses gl-5 rated oil?

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes, they do.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

At 36,000 miles, I put in synth 75w90 tranny oil in yesterday. It's marvelous!

the gm fluid works great I got it for 8.63 a quart
    GDB clone

The Synchromesh is still performing beautifully. The tranny seems to get smoother the longer I have the fluid in. I have no grinding noise at all no matter how fast I shift or at what RPM I shift.

Unfortunately, now I'm starting to develop the infamous clutch shudder. I just had a new clutch installed last year by Subaru because of the infamous clutch decel noise. I wish they could get these clutch problems straightened out in this car. I'm thinking about just installing a racing clutch since I'm eventually going to need one anyway.

Spend the $10/quart for the Synchromesh, you won't regret it.
    2011 SWP Premium Hatchback
    Flapatax Mud Flaps
    Kartboy STS with front and rear bushings
    Cobb AP Stage 1 (for now)

YAY! Flyboy's chit hasn't blown up! IR vindicated!! This stuff is the real deal. Glad you guys gave it a shot & it's working out for ya.

j.p.

Originally posted by balkamp
    YAY! Flyboy's chit hasn't blown up! IR vindicated!! This stuff is the real deal. Glad you guys gave it a shot & it's working out for ya.

j.p.
    Second that I'm going to have to give that GM fluid a try.
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

I figured if it's good enough to hold a GM tranny together then it must be pretty good stuff. This is the fourth fluid that I have tried in the tranny. Others have improved the grinding slightly, but the Synchromesh has totally eliminated it. It has also made it easier getting the car in first gear while coasting to a stop. My car had to be almost at a dead stop before it would go into first gear but now it slides in sooner and easier with the Synchromesh.
    Last edited by Flyboy; 04-06-2003 at 06:40 PM.
    2011 SWP Premium Hatchback
    Flapatax Mud Flaps
    Kartboy STS with front and rear bushings
    Cobb AP Stage 1 (for now)

I'm going there, too. First gear is still a problem for me with the Mobil 1.

X

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Flyboy
    I figured if it's good enough to hold a GM tranny together then it must be pretty good stuff.
    LMAO!
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Cmon now GV27! I'm making poopy unhappy faces now. GM autoboxes frag with almost the regularity of Ford slushboxes, But their manual transaxles are pretty darn reliable.

I'll give GM credit for not engineering their transaxles to within an inch of their life like Subaru has with the REX. The fragility of our gearboxes is imho, unexcuseable.

Are you some kind of GM hater? omg!.... <----- massive sarcasm

j.p.

Is that GM Synchromesh a GL-5 lube ... ?

No, it's a GL-4 fluid.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.