Change To Syn Gear Oil Now! - Page 7
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Change To Syn Gear Oil Now! within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally posted by Natoforces I have over 2K on the Motul and no problems whatsoever. It is the only tranny ...

Re: Go with Motul 300!

Originally posted by Natoforces
    I have over 2K on the Motul and no problems whatsoever. It is the only tranny fluid that I have not heard a negative comment on. The Subaru WRC team seems to be doing OK with it also.
    How's your shifting now? Thinking about switching to Motul. Any problems with shifting to reverse?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Arrow

tried mobil 1, almost worse than stock i feel. im going to try syncromesh this weekend. the 911 mechanic inspired me to try. ill post results. hey brand new exedy clutch is the bomb.

how much did the clutch cost?
    2002 Blue WRX w/ Factory Body Kit

-UTEC TXS Tuned @17 PSI
    -Samco Hoses
    -MRT Catless Uppipe
    -BPM 3" Turbo Back Exhaust
    -Whiteline Front and Rear Strut Bar

239.9 AWHP 246.4 AWTQ
    Graphs here:
    http://community.webshots.com/album/70782887sLVXId

I've never seen a "Synchromesh" lube that meets GL5 specs. Only certain tranny's can use it, I've never seen it recommended for transaxles either.

"synchromesh" is Specified for GM FWD transaxles. You are correct, it isn't GL5 spec'd.

j.p.

Will running a GL4 oil in our trannys do any damage? I'd like to try the GM fluid, but I don't want to be replacing my tranny at 50K miles because the non-GL5 fluid did some sort of unknown damage.

I did a search for GM Synchromesh and wondered across some DSM sites. The DSM guys seem to love the GM Synchromesh, a lot of people run it and they all seem to recommend it. However, their trannys require a GL4 fluid.

Natoforces, which Motul gearbox fluid are you using?

I'm using M1 right now and didn't really notice a difference over the OEM fluid. I never had any grinding problems, but I have never been able to downshift into 2nd without a double clutch, even at low speeds.
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Bdoug, you can't downshift to second or did you mean first?

X

Yeah, I can't normally downshift into 2nd without a double clutch. Once and a while, maybe 20% of the time, it will go into 2nd without double clutching. However, most of the time it feels like the 2nd gear gate isn't even there.
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

So what's the deal on this GM Synchromesh, will it be really bad to use with the WRX since it's not GL-5?

Originally posted by KnightWRXRider
    So what's the deal on this GM Synchromesh, will it be really bad to use with the WRX since it's not GL-5?
    That's what I was wondering

Maybe Flyboy could give us an update on his tranny. He's had Synchromesh in it for over a month now.

j.p.

bumperoooooooo

*waits*
    lambosv21

Originally posted by lambosv21
    bumperoooooooo

*waits*
    I just bought gm syncromesh trans fluid. It's $10 a pop. It better be good. I'll let you guys know how it goes when I put them in this weekend.

I was doing some research into the difference in gl-4 and gl5 rated tranny oils. It seems the gl-4 is designed for antiwear purposes and is well suited for production cars. The gl-4 rated oil is stable to around 200F and can handle moderate pressures (pressure between meshing gears ect). The gl-5 rated oil is used for higher end applications such as racing. The additives used to increase its pressure rating and shock tolerance are sulfer phospherus compounds. These compounds can attack/corrode yellow metals such as brass.

Does anyone know if the WRX synchros are brass? If they are gl-5 rated oils will shorten their life.

Here is a shamelessly stolen decription

__________________________________________________ _
    What happens if API GL-5 gear oil is used in an API GL-4 gear oil application... ?
    API GL-4 and API GL-5 products typically use the same extreme pressure (EP) additive system, with the API GL-5 having about twice the concentration of a API GL-4. In service, these additives become active under extreme load and temperature when the protective oil film can be squeezed away. EP additives work by forming wear-resistant compounds with the metal of the gear tooth surface. As the gears mesh, these compounds shield the gear teeth from direct metal-to-metal contact that would cause wear and damage to the gears. If too little of the active additive is present, proper protection would be compromised. Too much of this additive could cause excessive chemical corrosion of the gear surface. If an API GL-5 gear oil is used in a application where API GL-4 gear oil is called for, chemical corrosion of "yellow metal" components may occur, such as bronze synchronizers, brass bushings, etc. This may lead to shifting difficulties or shortened equipment life.

Subaru recommends GL-5 fluid in our trannys. Maybe GL-4 fluid is too 'thin' and won't provide enough protection in the long run

Here is dome more info I have tracked down

From http://www.subarustore.com/redmtmantran.html
    GEAR AND SYNCHRONIZER WEAR PROTECTION Most manufacturers of manual transmissions and transaxles recommend an 80W or 90W GL-4 lubricant. GL-5 gears oils which are required in hypoid differentials are not used in most synchromesh transmissions because the chemicals used to provide the extreme pressure protection can be corrosive to synchronizers, which are commonly made of brass or bronze. Typically, the use of a GL-5 lubricant in a synchromesh transmission will shorten the synchronizer life by one half. The extreme pressure requirements of spur gears and helical gears found in transmissions are not nearly as great as found in rear-wheel drive differentials. A GL-4 lubricant provides adequate protection for most manual transmissions, unless a unique design consideration requires the extra protection of a GL-5
    Last edited by bdoug; 03-27-2003 at 04:51 AM.