Change To Syn Gear Oil Now! - Page 6
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Change To Syn Gear Oil Now! within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Changed to Mobil1 last night. It does seem to shift smoother, especially down-shifts. That plus the new Momo Race Air ...

Changed to Mobil1 last night. It does seem to shift smoother, especially down-shifts. That plus the new Momo Race Air Leather shift knob are GREAT!!! WOOHOO

Btw, there was a coating of metal on the magnet in the drain plug. But nothing excessive and no big chips.

Leo
    "Stupid should hurt."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

10W30

for those of you using mobil1 or motul 300 are you using 10w30??? I am using mobile1 10w30 syn on the engine, would it be ok to use the same oil?
    thanks!
    2002 Blue WRX w/ Factory Body Kit

-UTEC TXS Tuned @17 PSI
    -Samco Hoses
    -MRT Catless Uppipe
    -BPM 3" Turbo Back Exhaust
    -Whiteline Front and Rear Strut Bar

239.9 AWHP 246.4 AWTQ
    Graphs here:
    http://community.webshots.com/album/70782887sLVXId

my few cents

All my vehicles, and bikes have run "Redline" fluids in them. I allow a small breaking in period with regular OE oils, and then switch to the good stuff. I personally think there is a significant difference on feel and performace. Much smoother shifting (I use MT90), less gear noise, and better gas milage (although I really don't care about the latter). The differnce is always more noticeable in the higher performace enigines and trannys I use Redline in, especially on my bikes. Just thought I would chime in..... I'm out...
    03' WRX, 00'ah6

ElectronBlueSi,

The transmission uses Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant .

Leo
    "Stupid should hurt."

Oops, double post. Sorry.

Leo
    Last edited by MtnWRX; 02-06-2003 at 09:25 AM.
    "Stupid should hurt."

I wanted to contribute more feedback regarding the Synchromesh since I've driven with it in the tranny for a few weeks. All I can say is props to Balkamp for recommending it. My grinding/synchro problem is gone. I've made several high rpm shifts into fourth and fifth gears without any problems whatsoever. I have also made several fast shifts into fourth, which also gave me problems with the previous oils, and I can not get the gear to grind at all. It's amazing that one type of oil can make such a dramatic difference.
    Last edited by Flyboy; 02-05-2003 at 04:42 PM.
    2011 SWP Premium Hatchback
    Flapatax Mud Flaps
    Kartboy STS with front and rear bushings
    Cobb AP Stage 1 (for now)

thanks!

-UTEC TXS Tuned @17 PSI
    -Samco Hoses
    -MRT Catless Uppipe

239.9 AWHP 246.4 AWTQ
    Graphs here:

Originally posted by Flyboy
    I wanted to contribute more feedback regarding the Synchromesh since I've driven with it in the tranny for a few weeks. All I can say is props to Balkamp for recommending it. My grinding/synchro problem is gone. I've made several high rpm shifts into fourth and fifth gears without any problems whatsoever. I have also made several fast shifts into fourth, which also gave me problems with the previous oils, and I can not get the gear to grind at all. It's amazing that one type of oil can make such a dramatic difference.
    is this the sycromesh fluid you speak of?
    http://www.pennzoil.com/penn/product...omeshFluid.pdf

it says it's for gm trannys!???

-UTEC TXS Tuned @17 PSI
    -Samco Hoses
    -MRT Catless Uppipe

239.9 AWHP 246.4 AWTQ
    Graphs here:

that may be the same stuff, I don't have a bottle handy to compare the part #'s or specs.

Glad that those who have tried it have had good success.

I've been around long enough to not believe any panacea-claims when it comes to additives or lubricants. HOWEVER, this is the only stuff i've poured in a car aside from nitromethane that ever elicited me to say "wow".

happy shifting

j.p.

Re: my few cents

I just switched to Redline MT90 in my '02 WRX. It had about 2k miles on it. It was very cold today in my garage (-2F). I couldn't believe the improvement. It's still not what I would call great but it's a lot better.

I can now actually shift the tranny 1st to 2nd when it is cold without double-clutching it and with no graunching. I am hoping that with time it will get even better. Even my wife noticed right away how much quiter the tranny was. I no longer get that incredible whine. I also did the rear diff too. It made a difference there too. It was definitely worth the $40 or so I spent on the lube. Cold winters here are a drag but it just make the superiority of the WRX all that more apparent over the normal FWD cars.

-Tim

Originally posted by braticus
    All my vehicles, and bikes have run "Redline" fluids in them. I allow a small breaking in period with regular OE oils, and then switch to the good stuff. I personally think there is a significant difference on feel and performace. Much smoother shifting (I use MT90), less gear noise, and better gas milage (although I really don't care about the latter). The differnce is always more noticeable in the higher performace enigines and trannys I use Redline in, especially on my bikes. Just thought I would chime in..... I'm out...

I just changed my tranny oil and rear diff a couple of days ago. Damn, it's very smooth. I like it alot. I used Royal Purple 75w90 and it worked like a charm. I hardly had any metal shavings at all. I did change it @ 25k though so yeah.

Motul Tranny Oil

I'm probably the only one using Motul, but it works flawlessly; then again the only problem tranny problems I've had have been the gear whining while decelerating and difficulty getting into reverse. The Motul greatly minimized the whine and improved shifting.

It is the only synth trans fluid I have not heard anything negative about.

Well im changing my Tranny fluid this weekend

So whats the final word which is better?

Ive been gettting a little grind going from 3rd to 4th at high rpm
    2002 Impreza WRX
    Aspen White
    (Not Stock)

Originally posted by WRC WRX
    Well im changing my Tranny fluid this weekend

So whats the final word which is better?

Ive been gettting a little grind going from 3rd to 4th at high rpm
    i changed to mobil one man gear oil...can't tell any difference than stock...i would try the motul or syncomesh....

-joe

-UTEC TXS Tuned @17 PSI
    -Samco Hoses
    -MRT Catless Uppipe

239.9 AWHP 246.4 AWTQ
    Graphs here:

Go with Motul 300!

I have over 2K on the Motul and no problems whatsoever. It is the only tranny fluid that I have not heard a negative comment on. The Subaru WRC team seems to be doing OK with it also.