Change To Syn Gear Oil Now! - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Change To Syn Gear Oil Now! within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; when did you look at the dipstick? maybe you just needed to drive the car around abit, then let the ...

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX
    when did you look at the dipstick?

maybe you just needed to drive the car around abit, then let the oil settle, then check the dipstick

sorta like w/ motor oil i guess...
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Dale,

I think the tranny and diffs have to be warm when checked and drained.

If you are overfull after a moderate drive, take some out.

-Jim

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, it's totally normal for it to read a bit high immediately after filling it. Take it for a short drive to get the oil into all the nooks and crannys, let it settle, then check it. If you didn't drain it warm, you didn't get everything out. No big deal, just that it'll take a bit less to fill it.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Well I changed mine last week.

And not good.

I mixed 50/50 between redline 75w90 and 75w90ns

Now I have an issue with grinding when going into 1st from 2nd. Or from Idel. Im dropping the fluid tomorrow and putting in 75w90ns only to see how it goes from there.

I've run about 2K miles on the Mobil 1.. I don't recall the weight but it's the weight recommended in the Owner's Manual.

Still no problems. And the shifting is, in my opinion, getting better.

Russ

Me too

Originally posted by Baluchitherium4
    I changed the gear oil in my tranny and diff. to Mobil 1 syth. 75w90 this past weekend. The shifting did get a little smoother. I'm going to run it a while with the Mobil and see how it works out.

BTW, I know the tranny is supposed to take 3.7qts. I drained what looked to be at least that much out and refilled with 3.5qts. Now, the dipstick shows overfilled. It is maybe a 1/4 inch above the "Full" mark. Anyone have any suggestions on why it shows overfilled? Also, should I drain some of it out or let it be.

Thanks in advance,

Dale
    Actually, I did Royal Purple 75W90. As needed, I drained the OE gear oil warm, with the car level (I even jacked up the rear end for awhile to really get all the dino product out.)

After putting in 3.5 qts., I'm about 1/4" (or less) above the full mark. This is measured cold, and the car has been driven over 200 miles with the RP in. What the heck is up with this? I know I got all the OE oil out, and only put 3.5 qts. in.

Oh well, I'll siphon some out if needed. It's just bugging me.

Jim

BTW - Trans. is noticeably smoother. So far, so good. I plan on doing the rear diff. with RP as well.
    MY02 WRB WRX SportWagon

does anyone know how many quarts of redline racing atf i need for my manual wrx? thanks

Originally posted by rayman481
    does anyone know how many quarts of redline racing atf i need for my manual wrx? thanks
    Ummmm... you lost me between ATF & Manual WRX.
    no you need a GL-5 rated oil...

I just came upon this thread & wonder... Is Mobil lube safe for brass scynro's??? besides having a friction moddier is this stuff safe? I know the bottle says "for all bla bla bla..."
    I was just curious.
    If I had an doubt I'ld call check the link below... (I already have Redline so I wasn't going to dig into it...)

http://www2.exxonmobil.com/SiteFlow/...Lubricants.asp
    It's stock... honest it is.

?wana race?

I've been running Mobil 1 gear oil for the last 5,000 miles or so, and it seems to grind more often when I try to shift into 1st gear going 2-3 mph without double clutching. Hmm I think I'm gonna try Redline next.

TristineLim wrote:

I've been running Mobil 1 gear oil for the last 5,000 miles or so, and it seems to grind more often when I try to shift into 1st gear going 2-3 mph without double clutching. Hmm I think I'm gonna try Redline next.
    I've been getting that, too. I'm not sure it's related to the oil, though.

Has anyone else got this problem, with or without having made the switch?

misterx

i only have 5000 miles on my car. can i switch to Redline now? is it too early 'cause i know my tranny is not completely broken in yet? thanks.

how many quarts of redline racing atf will i need for my wrx..it says you can use it for manual transmission..heres the link

http://www.synlubes.com/redline/atf.html

it is the last item. thanks..

The Redline synthetic you are looking at is formulated to be used in manual transmissions that specify ATF fluids. An example of this would be the venerable T5 manual transmission found in the late 80's/early 90's pony cars (Camaros and Mustangs).

Our manual transmissions (which include a differential due to the AWD nature of our cars) do not call for ATF.

http://www.redlineoil.com/frames/gearoil.htm
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

I just wanted to bring this thread up again. First I wanted to state that I am using Redline Trans Fluid, and AMSOIL 0w30 Series 2000 Oil in the engine. The car does much better with these lubes. But I have a question. I am thinking about getting Shockproof for my Diffs, but do I need to put any friction modifiers in it so mantain the limited-slip effect?

I Support ClubWRX
    Nope, no friction modifiers needed.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.