Change To Syn Gear Oil Now! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Change To Syn Gear Oil Now! within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally posted by russ After a day or two of running, I rechecked the level and it was 1/4 qt. ...

Originally posted by russ
    After a day or two of running, I rechecked the level and it was 1/4 qt. high. I took the Mitey Vac and removed the excess.
    I suspected as much. Good call on the excess removal!

-Jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by russ
    Maury,

I'm hearing less whining and the "sound like It's in reverse" noise.

Russ
    so what is the best synth.oil for the tranny ....
    What do people use the most?

Originally posted by maury
    so what is the best synth.oil for the tranny ....
    What do people use the most?
    Well, I'm kinda bias considering I'm an Amsoil dealer.

If anyone needs any drop me an email at sales@tbracing.com

Amsoil is the first in synthetics

according to an article i read, its good for the diffs, it doesn't offer enough friction for quick shifts in the trans. (make if last for ever if you want to granny-shift though).
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

I just put in redline MT-90 in my car. It is 3.7 qts btw.
    It does make a big difference. My car would scratch going into 2nd gear, but that is gone now.
    e46 M3 (new toy)
    02 wrx w/257 swap (now sold)
    IS 300 5spd w/ NAV (hers)

I ran about 700 mi. this weekend. Not a "granny shift" in the bunch.

I don't care what brand it is (I use Mobil 1) my transmission is vastly improved!

Synthetic gear oils are the way to go in the rex. I'm going after ther rear diff, next weekend and expect a similar, if less noticable, improvement.

Originally posted by blarg
    according to an article i read, its good for the diffs, it doesn't offer enough friction for quick shifts in the trans. (make if last for ever if you want to granny-shift though).
    Lower friction is one of the primary reasons to switch to a synthetic. Its the friction that creates the higher temperatures in transmissions and differentials that cause component wear.

Yes in a way you are correct, lower temperatures (or low friction) causes CONVENTIONAL gear lubricants to thicken which causes difficult shifting. AMSOIL gear lubes remain fluid even at extremely low temeratures to provide instant lubrication to components at start up in low temperature conditions, and continue to remain fluid providing superior component protection, smooother shifting, and increased fuel economy.

Its the reduced heat that it provides that will give you more consistant shifts.

I really doubt there would be proffesional drag cars, nascar race cars, offroad desert racers, stockcars, so on and so forth.... using AMSOIL gear lube if it didnt provide quick shifting.
    Otherwise AMSOIL would market to old women not perfomance vehicle owners.

hmm...the article I read said that synchros need a certain amount of friction to work, therefore if you put in an oil that's TOO slippery you'll get a lot of use out of your gearbox, but it makes the synchros less effective, so if you shift hard you're more likely to grind your gears...oh here it is...i found it

http://www.cobbtuning.com/tech/gearoil/index.html
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

I havent personally lab tested this to argue otherwise,

I understand what they are saying, but I really dont hear any kind of eveidence of it, more just, "this lubricant is really slick, that can't be good for the synchro" , not we drove this in a car, and while it shifted really smooth during normal driving conditons, we grinded gears everytime we raced.

quote:
    "One common complaint about Subaru manual transmissions are how notchy they feel. A common step taken to help reduce this notchy feeling is to use a better gear oil. But which one do we use? Which one works best? Good questions, unfortunately there's no right answer for everyone"

Hey, if you want a notchy transmission than why switch to synthetic at all, you've already got one. The point of making the switch is to protect and provide increased performance.

AMSOIL isnt magic lube, it still allows friction,
    and I highly doubt the people who invented synthetics, would overlook something as simple as friction required to make a synchro function properly.

FWIW my shifting improved significantly after switching to Mobil-1 synthetic. I have not noticed any synchromesh issues.

-Pace

I just ordered 5 qts of Royal Purple this morning. I plan on doing the tranny and rear diff as soon as it arrives.
    2011 SWP Premium Hatchback
    Flapatax Mud Flaps
    Kartboy STS with front and rear bushings
    Cobb AP Stage 1 (for now)

I Support ClubWRX
    I guess it depends on technique to a certain extent, but people have experienced shifting problems with different tranny oils. Usually along the lines of too slick for the synchros to work properly. Not everyone, but some.

Cobb's evidence is a lot of experience with Subie trannys. No, that article is not a test article, its a tech article. The thing is, not all synthetic gear oils are the same. They are designed for different tasks. To just have one gear oil for everything, you have to have compromises. That's what the article is about. Some oils are best for the rear end, some for trannys that are routinely shifted very quickly (or the guy doesn't know how to drive!) others are best for the bearings in a tranny. Notice that they didn't say your Amsoil was bad, in fact they said that it was quite excellent. Both of the ones they listed. They just don't recommend it for people who need some friction for the synchros to have there maximum effect. Their conclusion is to try several different oils if you don't like the first one.

For example, my buddy's Impreza L has lousy synchros (or he doesn't know how to drive - not sure which) so he tried Redline 75w90 and it was actually a bit worse. So then he tried Redline Shockproof Lightweight. Problem solved. It shifts beautifully now. Others put the 75w90 in and have no problems at all.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

I just switched to Mobil 1. Shift feels a little lighter, and so far no problems with grinding or anything.

Originally posted by Penguinking
    you'd be hearing alotof that sound if your car were ridin' on dog gears
    ...or if your center diffy is getting ready to explode...like mine did today.
    Chris
    1999 Impreza RS - 12.096 @ 114.63
    2002 WRX - 12.602 @ 111.08
    1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 11 second scrap pile - SOLD

I changed the gear oil in my tranny and diff. to Mobil 1 syth. 75w90 this past weekend. The shifting did get a little smoother. I'm going to run it a while with the Mobil and see how it works out.

BTW, I know the tranny is supposed to take 3.7qts. I drained what looked to be at least that much out and refilled with 3.5qts. Now, the dipstick shows overfilled. It is maybe a 1/4 inch above the "Full" mark. Anyone have any suggestions on why it shows overfilled? Also, should I drain some of it out or let it be.

Thanks in advance,

Dale

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.