Change To Syn Gear Oil Now! - Page 17
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718 LastLast

This is a discussion on Change To Syn Gear Oil Now! within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i use MOTULE, it is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i noticed a huge improvment....

absolutly

i use MOTULE, it is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i noticed a huge improvment.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

MOTULE in the rear differential as well

i changed out the rear diff. fluid the other day but i didnt use a torx... i just used the "socket" end of a socket wrench that fit in the hole. it fit perfect and didnt slip at all.

ill be doing the tranny fluid probably next weekend. does the tranny use the same plug as the rear diff?

Quote Originally Posted by Damon_Chambers
    i changed out the rear diff. fluid the other day but i didnt use a torx... i just used the "socket" end of a socket wrench that fit in the hole. it fit perfect and didnt slip at all.

ill be doing the tranny fluid probably next weekend. does the tranny use the same plug as the rear diff?
    No.

The rear diff fluid that you just changed takes a 1/2" square wrench, or, as you found out, the end of a 1/2" drive socket wrench.

However, the tranny will take the T70 bit. I don't think there's any way around it.

wow

This is the longest thread I've ever commited to reading. As expected from something with so much input, there is no clear winner at the end. After all of that information I'm still damn confused. I really like what people have been saying about Syncromesh, but as it is GL4, many people are saying it will reduce the life of my components. The reason I want to switch fluids are: I love my car (05, 10k miles) but it could definitely shift smoother. I hate my 1-2 shift and getting into 1st from a roll is a battle. If switching fluids could fix this (and quiet down the tranny and increase gas mileage at the same time) I'm all for it. However, I live in Vermont so it has to run well in the cold (-20 F). Running 100% Syncromesh sounds like it could have negative long term effects, but running 100% Redline sounds like it doesn't perform with the buttery smoothness of the GM stuff. Would a 50/50 mix of the two give me the best of both worlds? Any input would be greatly appreciated. If any of the guys who were using Syncromesh way back when would like to chime in to report their long term findings, that would be great. Thanks.

I read this entire thread and its crazy, my question is, when looking into fluid some of them say GL4 and GL5, does that mean its good for both, for example here http://www.pdm-racing.com/products/motuloil.html they sell motul and they have the synthetic blend and the pure synthetic and it says "API GL4 and GL5 MIL-L2105C" so I am assuming that its good for both and would work without causing damage to the subie gearbox correct?

correct. For on street driving GL4 or GL5 will suffice, with minimal if any damage to front diff.
    The reason we need the GL5 spec is for the open diff in the front that shares the same fluid as the tranny.
    I have noticed that the car shifts much better in the winter with a 50/50 mixture of the RedLine GL4 MT90 and 75w90 NS GL5 spec fluid. If i lived in Florida or the like, than a full tranny of the 75w90 would work just great and satisfy all the Subura specs. But given that every once in a while the temp drops into the teens or less in NJ/NY, the 50/50 mixture significantly helps shifting ease before everything starts warming up.

It's a catch 22 situation, go with the straight GL5 thick stuff in cold climate and the synchros take a beating, go with some GL4 fluid and help the syncros but possibly harm the ring and pinion up front when very hot and beating on the car.

if thats the case then something that satisfys specifications for both gl4 and gl5 would be the best bet right? since its formulated for both i would think it would be a compromise of both properties, and the Motul motylgear is a synthetic blend which i guess would also be a happy medium since throughout many people said not to use straight synthetic either

ok, so i read about 10 pages, and didnt find the ULTIMATE answer, yes or no to synthetic oil?

changing it tommorow...so if anyone has an answer, that would be sweet...

however im getting the idea that weather or not to use syn is situational...in that case maybe ill just ask around? i dont use my car on a track...so yeah...
    To be upset over what you don't have is to waste what you do have.

I use the Motul gear oil and it has worked great. Before I have problems grinding from 5th to 4th and now it does not do it anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by Shnark View Post
    ok, so i read about 10 pages, and didnt find the ULTIMATE answer, yes or no to synthetic oil?
    There will never be an ultimate answer..
    2011 VW GTI - K04

can those that used snychromesh comment? or those with shockproof comment about longevity? I have Royal Purple 75-90w in mine and have difficulty getting into first in the morning... I'm considering draining some and adding a quart of snychromesh and see if that helps. I have ~ 111,000 miles on my rex and looking for a better driving experience with longevity.

Thanks.

They syncromesh will help shifting but will also eat your tranny. Just say now.

After trying a large number of things in the 5MT, the best I've used is Valvoline 75w90 full dino.

even with it mixed with royal purple?

Yes, the synchromesh is corrosive to our transmissions.