Change To Syn Gear Oil Now! - Page 16
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718 LastLast

This is a discussion on Change To Syn Gear Oil Now! within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've used both Pennzoil and Royal Purple Syncromesh (not in the WRX, just in my old ZX2) and i'm not ...

I've used both Pennzoil and Royal Purple Syncromesh (not in the WRX, just in my old ZX2) and i'm not overly impressed. They both say that they're formulated for brass syncro's but i have yet to see a case that they've helped.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

2004 WRX - JBP:Stage 2:13.93 @ 96

Wingless alas. Too bad it took a 50 ton truck to make it happen.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I've got a quick question. I am not sure what sort of manual transmission fluid I have in my car, but it does seem to be a bit low. Could I just put in some 75W90 oil to get it to the right amount, or should I add some synthetic to it? Is it bad to mix the possible "dino" oil already in there with some synthetic, if not could I use dino oil?. I do not want to do a full drain and refill with a full synthetic fluid. If I should just add regular dino fluid, what is a good kind and I also wonder the same for the synthetic. Thanks in advance.

*EDIT*
    By the way, my transmission is working smoothly with no grinding or syncro problems, another reason I am skeptical of switching to synthetic. I mainly just want to get the fluid level where it should be and not have to worry about any issues. Thanks again.
    Last edited by 2005BlackWRX; 08-22-2006 at 11:03 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    The fluid level is hard to read and not consistent between reads depending on temp and incline or just plain luck as far as I can tell. On an 05, you probably have less than 30K? So you've got the factory fill in there still? It's unlikely you're low without a problem, and it's unlikely you've got a problem. Are you sure it's low?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I have a little under 20,000 miles on the car and I acquired it in April with 17,500 on it, so I have no knowledge of what's in there. I have tried checking the fluid various ways, including just cold, driving for a while and let it cool for 10-15 minutes and check, checking right after driving with engine off, right after driving with engine running, and all of the times on nearly level ground. When I checked it all of these different ways, the closest reading I can get to the low marking hole still leaves the fluid a good 1/8" from the indicator. What do you consider to be the best way to check it? Also thanks for taking the time to help me, I've been watching these forums for a while and reading, even when I didn't have a membership or a Subaru for that matter, and I was always amazed at your knowledge of these cars.

Anything should be compatable, dino or synth for a band aid repair. Just make sure you do a full change on the fluid within the next OCI and you should be ok.

First you need a fresh chicken, some rosemary, garlic, 1/4tsp salt and ..oh wait...thats another set of instructions....

What you have to do is heat up the trans by driving the car. (couple of miles, reach hwy speed)
    Park on a level surface.
    Car off or on doesnt seem to make a real difference, but I turn mine off....
    Check the fluid at least 2 times.
    Adjust accordingly.

I judge my level surface by the orientation of a glass of water in the cup holder (which might be slightly off but seems to work well).... sometimes I only change it when there is a planetary alignment....just to make sure.

Under heat, the oil is coating the gears and heat is expanding the fluid. It doesnt take much of this to make a difference. This is why you check trans fluid under operating conditions....to make sure you have enough in the splash case when the car is actually being driven.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 2005BlackWRX
    I have a little under 20,000 miles on the car and I acquired it in April with 17,500 on it, so I have no knowledge of what's in there... What do you consider to be the best way to check it?... I was always amazed at your knowledge of these cars.
    I'm all smoke and mirrors, don't fall for it... I overfilled mine when swapping the fluid! What I now aim for is the fluid reaching the L mark or just above when cold; when warm, that means halfway between the two marks. If you're concerned you can add a little from the top (just a little, it's easy to overshoot). Just use a long funnel and add a teaspoon at a time.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Okay, thanks guys.

What size torx bit is the drain plug?
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by powder
    What size torx bit is the drain plug?
    Searching "torx drain" yields:
    Drian plug, What size Torex?

I don't know whether you can switch to an earlier bolt type, nor do I know if you need the washer the earlier bolt types require, so look around for that.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR
    Searching "torx drain" yields:
    Drian plug, What size Torex?

I don't know whether you can switch to an earlier bolt type, nor do I know if you need the washer the earlier bolt types require, so look around for that.
    Hm... thanks. I did a couple different searches but i guess i just didn't type in the right words.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

****, they were right, impossible to find. I had to order one from some tool place i found through google... now i have to wait for slow ground shipping.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

amazon.com has it for $7 plus about the same shipping, mine showed up in 2 days.

Ya, i got it for like $14 shipped. At least i don't have to go running around looking for a plug from a bugeye. I'd probably pay the same for the plug through Subaru as i did for the Torx bit.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

Well, i got the torx today and changed the tranny/diff oil and let me tell you... it's night and day. Redline MT 90 is awesome. I'll never go back.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

Replaced the tranny with Penzoil Synchromesh (only because I couldn't get ahold of Amsoil MTG.)
    Replaced rear diff with Subaru LSD.

I tried to get the Subaru Extra S, but they didn't have any. The parts guy hadn't even heard of it. The dealership mechanic essentially said the Subaru LSD was overkill. Pleasant experience with these guys.

Previously I had Amsoil Series 2000 75W90 in both. Got almost 70,000 miles out of them (don't flame me.) No problems till just recently and I'm completely happy with it. There were some minor metal particals on the tranny bolt, but less than the original fluid swap at 30,000 miles. I got no metal particals out of the rear diff. They don't make the series 2000 anymore though. I'll swap back to Amsoil for the low temperature properties when I get back to Alaska.
    Last edited by section9; 09-24-2006 at 08:29 PM.
    Batmobile: 2002 WRX wagon RIP

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.