Change To Syn Gear Oil Now! - Page 14
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 LastLast

This is a discussion on Change To Syn Gear Oil Now! within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Wow! It's pretty interesting to read all of the opinion, fact, rumor, and myth about our products and their success ...

Gear Oil issues

Wow! It's pretty interesting to read all of the opinion, fact, rumor, and myth about our products and their success in the Subaru transaxle. Our customer service man Dave Granquist is right in his reply off of our site--75W90NS is the GL5 oil of the correct weight and the 75W90 is for the rear. That's why it's part of our PowerPack for these cars. Plus, your Subaru dealer can't give you any grief over using fluids that aren't designed for the task.

Someone made a smart point? You have to sit back and think, "Maybe my transmission is the problem?!" These transaxles are quite frail in comparison to the pounding and quick shifts you put on them. The oil is often the last thing people change, usually after they are trying to fix a grinding problem... We think some of the mixed results you guys are seeing with GL4 and GL5 fluids of different weights is based on the particular conidition of your transaxle. Our experience with WRX shows that a mechanically sound transaxle can switch to our fluid and have better shifts, better cold operation, put more power to the ground, and get longer life.

The Cobb guys have a lot of tranny experience, but they are quite wrong in their recommendation on their site--our 75W90NS is NOT the best fluid for a rear differential. Our regular 75W90 has some friction modifiers, but it doesn't get in the way of the non-clutch LSD's operation and the friction modifiers actually help the gears a bit.

The biggest difference between the GL4 and GL5 oils is the amount of EP or extreme pressure additives in the blend. It's not a street spec and a racing spec. The GL5 oils usually used for differentials with a hypoid gear, but like in the case of Subaru, they are often a tranny or transaxle spec.

ShockProof is a unique fluid that works a bit like a liquid grease with a microscopic medium--it works well in some street applications and not in others. If there is a pump, screen, or filter in the mix, it usually isn't the right fluid. Street tuners with a lot of savvy use it, but it's on a trial basis. Admittedly, even those of us with a lot of experience have a tough time tracking which fluid is working better for a LSD at any one time, so it's tough to know when it is hindering the process. Superlight is a 70wt, Lightweight is an 80wt and Heavy is a 90wt and these fluids can be mixed to come up with custom viscocities. We haven't done the same testing with ShockProof on the Subaru transaxle like we've done with the 75W90NS, so it's cool to hear that it is working for some of you.

Hope this helps. You guys have a cool site...

Cameron Evans
    Red Line Oil

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The Lucas oil sucks, my trans is behaving just the way it was before. DO NOT BUY LUCAS GEAR OIL!!!!!

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX
    Report back in about 5,000 miles- that will be the real test. When I first swapped in M1 (many, many moons ago) I thought it was great- didn't take long to find out it was much too slippery.
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

I really want to use this GM Synchromesh stuff that everyone was talking about in this thread BUT....I am a little torn because it is a GL-4 and our transmissions call for a GL-5. I am looking at longevity here, I drive 80 miles a day. Will it hurt the transmission that much to run strictly GL-4??? Could I get away with running a mix of GL-4 & GL-5???

How long are you guys/gals going between trans fluid changes? I've got Amsoil in mine, but for quite a while now. It was super smooth for a long time, but now not so much.
    Batmobile: 2002 WRX wagon RIP

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm swapping mine out at 20,000 mile intervals

I used SYnthetic in my gearbox and rear diff... I took it out... I believe the thinner oil in the rear diff helped to cause one of the spider gears to get chipped... I had it parked for 3 days and when I drove it again it was whining...

My head Tech (been one for over 30yrs) says it was the synthetic that did it... too thin...

cost me over $1000 to fix and we did all the work.. but now I have a Quaife LSD... but the diff from a dealer (stock) is over $1200 not including labor..

My car had 46,XXX miles on it...
    03 Silver WRX, FOR SALE
    www.mnsubaru.com

I just changed mine yesterday, i used Redline 75W90NS in the trans and 75w90 in the rear. I'm not sure what was in it before. It was pretty dirty. Made a difference it shifts alot smoother, a little quiter.Goes into first easier when rolling to a stop.No crunch yet when i go from 3rd -4th, i would get sometimes before when shifting at high rpms. Kinda wondering. The rear end drain plug had alot of sludge around the inside end. Anyone else see this when takeing it out ? Was it grease or what would cause that... age, contamination ? It had 17,000 miles when i bought it and it has close to 40,000 now.

Wow after reading through all this now I am really confused on what gear oil to use in my 04 STi??? Anyways if someone that has an 04-05 sti and has changed there tranny fluid and could give me some advice on what is good to go with and wheres the best place to get it that would be great... I decided for the rear diff. I will be useing the subaru lsd stuff from the dealer since I heard thats one of the best fluids for it... As for the tranny fluid I am lost and really need some help on what stuff I shoudl go with.. I still am running stock fluid and don't really have any troubles with the tranny or shifting issues.. What would you all suggest using? I really would like to just get the same results as I have had maybe slightly better since maybe its just I am use to it kinda rough.. all the advice I can get will be really a huge help... Please if you could help me out..

Thanks

I Support ClubWRX
    I'f recommend the Subaru Extra S- part # K0323AA093- it comes in a rather large 10 gallon drum (you can split it w/a buddy )

the ESX STi that is competing in Speed World GT competition is using the same fluid in it's tranny (and the same lsd fluid you mentioned)- they tried several fluids before they settled on the Extra S. Somehow I doubt any of us will see the demands of our tranny that they would in a typical race, but it's nice to know the stuff works- good

whats the extra s stuff? I just heard on scooby mods its best to just use the subaru LSD stuff in the rear diff on the sti... So far for the tranny I am leaning towards the redline shockproof lightwieight,,

I Support ClubWRX
    Extra S is a Subaru product

more here:

Has anyone bought the "genuine" oe tranny fluid?

GL4 vs. GL5

We've read a lot of questionable advice about whether to use GL4 vs. GL5 gear oils. The biggest issue invovled here isn"t whether it will make your transaxle shift that much better--here, the issue is simply wear. Our MTL and MT 90 gear oils work great in the WRX, however, in most cases it will cause premature wear. It's as simple as that.

There has been some question of whether GL4 oils work, but this additional wear isn't something you'll feel or hear. It's something that you'll experience later in the life of the gear box. Using Synchromesh in this box, you're own your own...

In some boxes, like that in the Miata, the manufacturer's manual or the spec books will show "GL4/GL5" as the spec, so you can go your own way. If it shifts properly, you're almost always better off with the GL5 fluid as the EP additives can add gear life, even though there is no hypoid gear in the box. In Subaru's case, they recommended GL5 and we really need to go with that and recommend our 75W90 NS as the preferred gear oil.

We hope that helps,
    Cameron Evans
    Red Line Oil

Here is what I found is suppose to be used in the STI rear diff.

Does anyone know if I must use this or what exactly it is? I guess since I haven't had any issues with the tranny fluid I have had which is oem the valvoline 75w-90. I think I will just stick with it agian. As for the rear diff I was going to go to subaru and get a bottle of this for the rear diff. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Heres what I found about the stuff...
    For the rear-differential oil, this is the LSD specific gear oil with the part number listed as well:
    http://www.subaruparts.com/catalog/?section=366

Quantity Part # Description List Unit Price Price
    KO305Y0900 Lsd 1 Liter $24.95 $19.05 $19.05
    Subtotal: $19.05

I Support ClubWRX
    From what I've read- yes- that's the stuff to use in the rear diff- Subaru is getting pretty picky about that and wants it used (and everyone says it works as advertised).

As far as the tranny if dino Valvoline is working- then you should be good to go. If you start tracking your car look into the Extra S.