Change To Syn Gear Oil Now! - Page 13
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718 LastLast

This is a discussion on Change To Syn Gear Oil Now! within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by GIRex this whole talk about gl-5 eating at (brass)syncro's makes me think that is the problem with ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by GIRex
    this whole talk about gl-5 eating at (brass)syncro's makes me think that is the problem with our trannys the whole time.
    Absolutely, positively without a hint of any doubt of any kind, NO! EP oil compatibility is well understood and is not an issue in any transmission rated for GL-5 oil. In fact, most modern transmissions will run on it just fine, rated for it or not. It's mainly a problem with people who try to run a GL-5 oil in their '60's classic car.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I can't believe I read through this whole thread. Two years in the making. Very interesting opinions though! I got a kick out of how about halfway through everyone seemed to take a liking to GM's Syncromesh at balkamp's suggestion. Good deal.

I'm at 12,500 right now, but I think I'll just check the fluid at 15,000 and stick with the stock fluid until about 30,000 unless the stock stuff looks nasty.

So what's the recommendation for the rear diff? Will any synthetic 75W-90 of choice do the job?
    Last edited by Darrell; 04-30-2005 at 06:26 AM.
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell
    I can't believe I read through this whole thread. Two years in the making. Very interesting opinions though! I got a kick out of how about halfway through everyone seemed to take a liking to GM's Syncromesh ad balkamp's suggestion. Good deal.

I'm at 12,500 right now, but I think I'll just check the fluid at 15,000 and stick with the stock fluid until about 30,000 unless the stock stuff looks nasty.

So what's the recommendation for the rear diff? Will any synthetic 75W-90 of choice do the job?
    Are there pro's and con's to using a super slippery sythetic in the rear LS? I see these things in the stores that talk about locking up and chatter. I put Shockproof lightweight in my rear differential and it seems ok to me.
    clutch, shift, gas, clutch, shift, gas, shift, clutch, gas, clutch gas, shift... oops!

this is an older thread.. but ive read through here regarding brass synchro's... if the trannies have them, Pennzoil Synchromesh http://www.pennzoil.com/products/gea...cro_fluid.html worked excellent on my 90 Eclipse GST... im not sure if we are able to run it in our trannies, but i will tell you that cold shifts shift like butter, and overall i felt like i had a brand new transmission..

i think another product thats similar is BG Syncrhoshift.. but ive never used/tested it
    '14 SWP STI

On related issue, would there be any problems putting any aftermarket gear oil (gm/redline/etc) into my '04 wrx w/ 93,000 miles? Im getting a little grinding when going into 5th gear and only with engine speed over about 2000-3000rpm's. Thanks for the help

changed to bg ultraguard (trans and diff), and honestly i dont think it was worth it ($20 per a quart). it feels very similar. my 1st and 3rd synchro still feels extra notchy. i think ill try shockproof.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Who makes ultraguard?
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX
    Who makes ultraguard?
    aye.. i never even heard of it
    '14 SWP STI

Quote Originally Posted by Retro
    I put Shockproof lightweight in my rear differential and it seems ok to me.
    I've been running Redline Shockproof Lightweight for +40k miles throughout the whole drivetrain....it is excellent, I highly, highly recommend it....no grindage whatsoever, also there was no metal found on the magnet plugs when I changed it out about 5k miles ago.....from the look of the oil it could have ran much longer than 35k miles..
    1988 Celica Alltrac
    Hallman Pro, 15x7.5 +20mm Rota Slipstreams
    2005 LGT 315whp/340wtq@21psi - Sold
    VF52, Crucial P&P&C Manifolds, UP, DP, RP, Magnaflow CBE, Hallman PRO, ROMRaider
    2003 WRX 371whp/355wtq@24psi - Sold
    TD05H-20G-38mm Tial, Meth Injection, Hyperflow TMIC, ROMRaider
    Dyno Chart METH vs 93 oct

well ive read up completely through here and i have experienced the synchromesh.. so i decided i will be running all of that in my transmission.. but im still torn between redline 75w90ns or shockproof (light or heavy) in the rear...
    '14 SWP STI

just switched over to full synchromesh in the trans and WOW... totally smooth now.. no hesitation what so ever... trans didn't grind before, still doesnt grind now.. i can get into first from second around 10-5mph in that area... doesnt grind and you cant hear the gears as much as before...

next is redline shockproof in the rear... gotta order some
    '14 SWP STI

Lucas 75W90 synthetic gear oil

Has anyone ever used any Lucas oil products in their transmission? I am going to put Lucas 75W90 synthetic in the trans and diff within the next week or two and post my results up here. My 02 WRX has cold 3rd gear grind, and almost impossible to get into reverse.

fluid change?

hey men. i got a 2005 wrx with about 26,000 miles on it. you think its about time to change the transmission fluid yet? tell you the truth...ive never even looked at it? im so bad. if its time to change \, what kind do you guys reccomend? Thanks for the help...

I finally got around to putting the Lucas 75W-90 in the transmission and diff, all I can say is it made a considerable difference. There is no more gear whining when decelerating and downshifting, overall shifting between gears is smoother, and getting into reverse gear is a breeze now. I did notice this morning when leaving for work, I still had a little bit of cold 3rd gear grind. I have to say I am satisfied with Lucas' oil. Here is a link to what I purchased:
    http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...tid=2&loc=show

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Report back in about 5,000 miles- that will be the real test. When I first swapped in M1 (many, many moons ago) I thought it was great- didn't take long to find out it was much too slippery.
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman