Change To Syn Gear Oil Now! - Page 12
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast

This is a discussion on Change To Syn Gear Oil Now! within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Notice I said ring and pinion, so it's good in the diff, not the tranny/front axle combo. There you want ...

Notice I said ring and pinion, so it's good in the diff, not the tranny/front axle combo.
    There you want to use GL5 spec. Redline 75W90NS, or MT90 GL4 spec that is better in cold weather. I actually run a 50/50 mix. The synchromesh is probably ok, I don't see any problems with some of it in the case, but 100% synchromesh concerns me, since it's not GL 5 rated, as far as I can tell.
    Remember the transaxle houses the synchros and the front diff, so you need to address the needs of the synchros first, and that is no limited slip fluids. Also nothing to thick or you will not be able to shift in cooler weather.

Do you use the car on the track?
    If so then simply replace fluids often, depending on the number of track events.
    On the street, outside of drag racing all the time, it will be very very difficult to see the difference in all the lubes mentioned above. Besides drag racing will destroy way more than the tranny.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Redline shockproof IS GL-5 rated. Redline warns that it actually may be too slippery for trannys BUT a lot of people have had good luck stopping grinding with it. Dunno why. Fixed my buddy's Impreza L 3rd gear grind, and I had good luck with it in my WRX (though I didn't have any grinding to start out with.

I also reckon shockproof is just about the best stuff out there for the rear end.

C
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by GV27
    Redline shockproof IS GL-5 rated. Redline warns that it actually may be too slippery for trannys BUT a lot of people have had good luck stopping grinding with it. Dunno why. Fixed my buddy's Impreza L 3rd gear grind, and I had good luck with it in my WRX (though I didn't have any grinding to start out with.

I also reckon shockproof is just about the best stuff out there for the rear end.

C
    Chris I can't find GL ratings for any of the shockproof- linky?

Thanks

Mike
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

ShockProok is fine for open and limited slip diffs, so it makes sense it's GL5 spec lube.

It also makes senses that it might not have the optimum friction properites for our synchros. I'm worried that not using the right lube for the synchros might improve things for a while but will also cause the synchros to wear faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX
    Chris I can't find GL ratings for any of the shockproof- linky?

Thanks

Mike
    I already posted those somewhere on this site and on the nabisco. If you look around long enough on Redline's site they have a pdf that lists it as GL-5.
    clutch, shift, gas, clutch, shift, gas, shift, clutch, gas, clutch gas, shift... oops!

I Support ClubWRX
    I'll keep looking

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro
    I already posted those somewhere on this site and on the nabisco. If you look around long enough on Redline's site they have a pdf that lists it as GL-5.
    Ya know, I saw that same PDF. But when I went looking for it in reference to this thread I couldn't find it again. I wonder if it was a typo?? I just emailed them......I'll let you know what I find out.

C
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1993 Honda CBR600F2

I Support ClubWRX
    Ya know, I saw that same PDF. But when I went looking for it in reference to this thread I couldn't find it again. I wonder if it was a typo?? I just emailed them......I'll let you know what I find out.

C
    Sounds good! Would be nice to know (waranty type issues, etc).

Thanks

I Support ClubWRX
    Here's the response from Redline:

Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, the ShockProof is a special race type lubricant and doesn't carry a GL rating, though they should provide the GL-5 protection levels. The tech report doesn't mention a specific GL rating.

In the WRX transaxle we recommend the 75W90NS and the 75W90 in the rear differential, both are GL-5 gear oils.

Regards, Dave
    Red Line Oil

1993 Honda CBR600F2

Here's the response from Redline:

I got the same response from them but many people have had problems with 75w90ns and synchros so I'm going to go ahead and go with shockproof lightweight
    05 Crystal Gray STi
    304 hp 353 lbs on 92 octane ------> Mustang Dyno
    12.6 @ 109.2 > new numbers coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by scooby24
    I got the same response from them but many people have had problems with 75w90ns and synchros so I'm going to go ahead and go with shockproof lightweight
    Are you sure those problems were with NS and not the regular stuff? I catch many people getting confused with NS and the regular version. I actually have the PDF saved that mentions the GL rating of Shockproof.. maybe someone lied or was misinformed. I'll look for it and repost it.

Edit: Found it on the last page where they list all the individual oils http://www.redlineoil.com/whitePaper/18.pdf They list Lightweight and SuperLightweight as being GL-5.
    Last edited by Retro; 03-29-2005 at 02:10 PM.
    clutch, shift, gas, clutch, shift, gas, shift, clutch, gas, clutch gas, shift... oops!

Are you sure those problems were with NS and not the regular stuff? I catch many people getting confused with NS and the regular version. I actually have the PDF saved that mentions the GL rating of Shockproof.. maybe someone lied or was misinformed. I'll look for it and repost it.
    Positive. Lots of complaints of the NS as well as the regular. One of my buddies, however has NS + synchromesh and loves it so that sounds like a decent combination. Protection of synthetic GL-5 fluid...plus synchro friendliness of synchromesh.
    05 Crystal Gray STi
    304 hp 353 lbs on 92 octane ------> Mustang Dyno
    12.6 @ 109.2 > new numbers coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by scooby24
    Positive. Lots of complaints of the NS as well as the regular. One of my buddies, however has NS + synchromesh and loves it so that sounds like a decent combination. Protection of synthetic GL-5 fluid...plus synchro friendliness of synchromesh.
    Actually it's no longer a GL-5 once you add the Synchromesh.

I Support ClubWRX

Edit: Found it on the last page where they list all the individual oils http://www.redlineoil.com/whitePaper/18.pdf They list Lightweight and SuperLightweight as being GL-5.
    Thanks for the link, but I believe they are refering to their lighweight and superlightweight "normal" gear oils- not their shockproof- which they list right below it- lists no GL rating.

I do know the shockproof works- for warranty issues- don't know if it would be the best choice- looks like a bluish green from a science fiction show

Actually it's no longer a GL-5 once you add the Synchromesh.

this whole talk about gl-5 eating at (brass)syncro's makes me think that is the problem with our trannys the whole time(the teeth can be explained from people not knowing how to shift right ie alittle clutch slip while launching.)

Wouldnt it still be mostly a gl-5 with some gl-4 addidtive? I think im going to drain a quart of the pensoil and add a quart of synromesh(my pensoil is just the synthetic 75-90w)
    Handling: Kyb AGX struts, Tein springs, camber bolts, Alignment -1.3F/-1.0R
    Looks: Gold powder coated stockers, Tint 30%F/20%rear, Infinity speakers, Sony deck
    Future mods: Legacy GT
    Car domain:http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/852175