Subaru WRX Forum banner

Change To Syn Gear Oil Now!

73K views 268 replies 95 participants last post by  markthomas1969 
#1 ·
Lots of people mention the subject, but maybe it needs it's own thread.

Change your gear oil to synthetic as soon as you can. I used Mobil 1. One gentleman (he inspired me) used Redline. It might be better but its hard to find, here.

Keep the car level (no ramps, you can reach the drain) and drain every drop of the old oil. Mine only has a few K miles on it. Since my car is lowered, I needed my skinny son to get at the drain plug. Don't lose the washer!

You'll need a long a$$ funnel. Then dump in that Mobil 1.

I think the owners' manual is wrong in the capacity. It calls for 3.75 quarts. I used 4.

Then go for a drive and be prepared for a seriously dramatic change in your shifting and transmission behavior. It's hard to believe it's the same machine.

Go figure.

:) :)

See less See more
#257 ·
I basically skipped anything numerous other people had already had problems with (so no Motul, Valvoline SynPower, Mobil1, RoyalPurple, etc). I tried the Redline 75w90NS, I tried the Redline 75w90NS blended with the 75w140NS (which was the best all-synth blend, 1qt 75w140NS, 2.7qts 75w90NS). I tried Scotty's Cocktail, I tried other random crap.

The Cocktail worked, but it wasn't any better than full dino valvoline, cost 4 times as much, and ate the tranny to boot.

I've heard good things about the Shockproof, but since it thickens up in the cold just like a dino oil, I don't see the point of spending the extra money.

#262 ·
i use this stuff and its great... its also suppose to be as good as the USC

#264 ·
I can't speak to the longevity really as I swap gear oil out every spring (I do several track days and lots of autox's though the "summer")

Shifting is great. I ran Shockproof in my old 02 sedan and it was good too, but not warranty friendly (doesn't really have any ratings) and it's "Hulk" green in color, kind of hard to hide :)

#267 ·
I have an 02 with 121,000 miles on it and when I bought it I had a grind in 5th gear no matter how slow I shifted it in. But with 1qt of shockproof and some redline gear oil i think it was 75w90NS (not sure if thats right) everything shifts really good. Though i can say that in the winter you really need to let your car warm up or say good bye to shifting into 2nd.

I've changed my oil 2 times since i bought it with 84,000 on the clock and I would say that because of how weak these transmissions can be its worth the extra money. I know evertime i drain it there is a good ammount of metal on the drain plug :( but o well it shifts good :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.