Change To Syn Gear Oil Now! - Page 11
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast

This is a discussion on Change To Syn Gear Oil Now! within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I got my oil changed the other day, and the dude said my rear diff fluid was pitch black. The ...

I got my oil changed the other day, and the dude said my rear diff fluid was pitch black. The car has 7k miles on it, and isnt scheduled for a change in fluid til 15k. what could be making the fluid black, should I change it out now or wait, and what are your recommendations for cold weather?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

so scooby 24, are you still using the gm synchromesh? if so how is it
    VF-39 Powered
    298.71HP/282.36TQ on 93Oct
    319.32HP/308.27TQ on 110Oct

Quote Originally Posted by subieracer18
    so scooby 24, are you still using the gm synchromesh? if so how is it

Well I traded in my WRX and got an STi and am still using stock fluid as it hasn't caused any problems yet but when I traded it in the tranny was feeling a bit sloppy so the fluid was needing to be changed after about 10k miles. So I think it's okay to run for about 10k but then it needs a change.
    05 Crystal Gray STi
    304 hp 353 lbs on 92 octane ------> Mustang Dyno
    12.6 @ 109.2 > new numbers coming soon.

BVM
    I used to be big into racing Pontiac Fieros. The manual trans cars use either 5w-30 engine oil or GM's Syncromesh. Being a mid engine car the tranny has never been described as smooth but I could tell the difference when using one over the other. Anyway, it was typical for me to change the tranny oil every 15k miles. Even the honduh boyz are loving the Syncromesh.
    I recently changed my fluid to 80w90 GL-5 and its terrible when cold. I will be switching to Syncromesh or Royal Purple at the next service.

Steven

BTW filled the Skylines tranny with Redline LW MTL and is was smooth as butter!
    "The fate of the world rests in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun".

I was planning on using a mixture of mobile 1 synthetic gear oil with the gm synchromesh in teh tranny. Do you guys think that is a good idea? I'm also probably going to put the mobil 1 in the rear diff.
    VF-39 Powered

Mobil 1 has limited slip additives which are not compatible with the tranny synchronizers.
    You will probably not notice any ill side effects in the summer, but in cooler weather you will be grinding the synchronizers. Don't do this. Go with non limited slip gear lube.

alrighty then,
    Will pennzoil 80w90 work in the tranny? i was going to put 2.75 quarts of the 80w90 and 1 quart of pennzoil synchromesh in the tranny. Will the mobil 1 synthetic work in the rear diff? or better yet will the synchromesh work in the rear diff.
    VF-39 Powered

BVM
    Try not to go with 80w90 its way too thick when cold. Its been near freezing here for the last week and I HATE the first 10 minutes of driving. I have to be at a complete stop before downshifting into 1st and its NEVER down that before the fluid change. I am draining that Penzoil crap out during my next oil change (200 miles!).
    "The fate of the world rests in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun".

verdict...

So I should use 2.75 q of regular 75w90 gear oil mixed with 1 q of the pennzoil synchromesh? Thats for the tranny. Now for the rear diff, what is the best oil to put in there?
    VF-39 Powered

you can use straight 75w90NS Redline and call it a day,
    you can use 50/50 of the above and MT90 and have a tranny lube that will shift even smoother in cooler weather,
    you can use a mixture of 75w90NS and/or MT90/Synchromesh and get comparable results to the second mixture.
    MT90 and synchromesh I believe are not that different therefore I don't expect the end result to change much

and what about the rear diff?
    VF-39 Powered

any 75w90 will work. SInce we have a viscous limited slip and not a clutch pack or torzen you can use the NS desgination.
    Synthetic would be better as in the tranny, so RedLine is an obvious choice but Mobil 1 will do just fine and is probably cheaper

Bump! I need updates. I'm at around 11k miles and I've decided it's time for me to change out the gear oil in the STi.

Here's what I'd like to go with and would like to know if anyone has any updates on these combos:

Redline 75w90NS (since it's GL-5) and Synchromesh mix

Redline Shockproof lightweight

These are the two routes i'm considering but am leaning towards the shockproof lightweight. I know many have used this so does anyone have anything to add about that oil?
    05 Crystal Gray STi

The Shockproof keeps the ring and pinion from experiencing shock-loading damage, especially true when drag racing. For street use, no difference, for autocross some benefit, for track use quite useful, for drag strip might as well use the Heavy Duty Shock proof. The later effectively becomes a 250-weight gear lube via microscopic additives that help the lube from getting "squeezed" out during high loads

Quote Originally Posted by 99OneLE
    The Shockproof keeps the ring and pinion from experiencing shock-loading damage, especially true when drag racing. For street use, no difference, for autocross some benefit, for track use quite useful, for drag strip might as well use the Heavy Duty Shock proof. The later effectively becomes a 250-weight gear lube via microscopic additives that help the lube from getting "squeezed" out during high loads
    Alright...well many people are experiencing 5th gear grinding in STi's and one guy used Shockproof lightweight and got rid of the grinding completely. That tells me the gear is better for synchros than stock plus it's OBVIOUSLY going to be better at shock loading than stock....so it sounds like a winner to me.

Is it GL-5 rated...or does that not even matter since the stuff is so tough...?
    05 Crystal Gray STi