Change To Syn Gear Oil Now! - Page 10
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

This is a discussion on Change To Syn Gear Oil Now! within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i just put in the goodwrench syncromesh oil and it works excellent. use to have problems downshifting into first gear ...

i just put in the goodwrench syncromesh oil and it works excellent. use to have problems downshifting into first gear and it grinding over 5 mph, now problem is gone. seems like some good stuff. tried valvoline high vescocity 75w90, that stuff worked the same as oem stuff. i would recomment synromesh.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Changed out the engine, tranny, and diff to Mobil 1. I tried all I could to make the tranny grind when down/up shifting. I couldnt make it happen. A lot smoother but the ****ty downshift into first is still there.
    04 JBP WRX

Mobil 1 will work just fine in warm weather. Once the cold weather hits you will notice that till the tranny warms up there will be grinding and blocking. If you read the fine print on the Mobil 1 site you will find that the Mobil 1 75w90 is made with limited slip additives intended for differentials not synchronizers in manual transmissions.
    Honestly, you should keep away from synthetics unless they are intended for transaxles. Otherwise the fluids properties will not be optimum for the synchros in the manual portion of the transaxle.

Synthetic is too slick for our tranny's synchros. I ran synthetic and yes, I too, was impressed at first. But then it all went downhill. Started grinding shifting from 3 to 4 so bad I didn't even shift into 4 anymore.

If you are going to run synthetic, put in a quart of GM synchromesh. I'm running full synchromesh now and my tranny has never been smoother. I went against Subaru's warning to not put it in because it's GL-4 but after 6k miles of HARD use I haven't had ONE bad thing to say about the stuff. Just keeps getting better. Now Jack Miller Subaru is going to start stocking Synchromesh to help stop gear grinding because of my "experimenting" and good luck with it. And yes, when I say hard driving I'm talking about drag racing, autocrossing, and weekend warrior street racing. My tranny should be dead. But it's alive and kicking thanks to that stuff. If I'd left my synthetic in my gears would be serving as paper weights.

Edit: Oh yeah and I can shift into first now at 25 mph without hardly any hesitation. Just slips right in.
    05 Crystal Gray STi
    304 hp 353 lbs on 92 octane ------> Mustang Dyno
    12.6 @ 109.2 > new numbers coming soon.

Originally posted by scooby24
    I'm running full synchromesh now and my tranny has never been smoother.

I replaced mine with regular Valvoline dino oil and 1 quart GM Synchromesh. Has been working great.

Im not sure if you want to use 100% Synchromesh. It will work great for now, but im not sure on reliability. There has to be some impact there for bearing life. Dont know how much lubrication the synchromesh has for bearings?? But for friction....its good.
    Last edited by Platinum_REX03; 08-16-2004 at 09:43 AM.

Synchromesh has been out for awhile now and every tranny has bearings. Haven't heard of anyone having problems yet
    05 Crystal Gray STi

don't forget that MT 90 and RedLine 75W90NS will also work.
    These oils were made for manual transaxles. I've been running 50/50 of each and so far no problems, but the 1st gear engagement is still a bear at anything over 1 or 2 mph. Even double clutching and heel and toe don't seem to repeatedly work.
    I will try some Snychromesh and report back.

Dudes,

I used RedLine 75W90NS and it sucked the big one. Less drag overall but lots of hesitation first to second and third to second. First gear synchro is now pooched and only engages at 2 - 4 km/h. I have to double-clutch just to get it into first as I roll to the stop signs. I live in Ottawa so my temperature range is pretty severe - -30 deg C to 36 deg C air temp range.

I tried 100% GM Synchromesh and it did the trick! Much better shifting all around and much easier to double-clutch into gear. First gear is also much easier to engage while rolling. I think it's well worth the $30.

How many miles have been put on these car since they changed to Redline Shockproof Superlight or the GM Synchromesh?

so this GM synchromesh... is re-labeled as other stuff as well or what? i did a search on google and it keeps saying something about penzoil... but i don't really trust penzoil, simply because its penzoil...

also... is there any combination of tranny fluid that would mess anything up? like radiator fluid ( only thing i could think of) ... red and green don't mix... dexron and mecron don't mix yada yada...

Penzoil synchromesh is the same thing, just cheaper so fear not.

I would just stick to whats been proven to work

3 quarts Redline MT90
    2 quarts GM(Penzoil) Synchromesh
    05 Crystal Gray STi

Quote Originally Posted by EvilCerealBoX
    so this GM synchromesh... is re-labeled as other stuff as well or what? i did a search on google and it keeps saying something about penzoil... but i don't really trust penzoil, simply because its penzoil...

also... is there any combination of tranny fluid that would mess anything up? like radiator fluid ( only thing i could think of) ... red and green don't mix... dexron and mecron don't mix yada yada...

Yeah, it's the same stuff. IIRC, it's made by Penzoil for GM. It's good stuff and much cheaper then buying GM brand synchromesh from a GM dealer. I got it from Autozone for $4.99/quart and it was $10.99/quart from the GM dealership.

I was running 60/40% Mobil 1 75W-90 gear oil and Penzoil Synchromesh for about 6 months and shifting was much better then stock fluid or 100% M1.
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

I've been using 100% GM synchromesh for nearly 6 months now. Put 10k miles on the fluid, been in 3 autocrosses, drive it like I stole it, drag it, etc. Not a single issue since I've put the stuff in. Almost seems like it keeps getting better and better. I would think if it was going to do something bad it would have done it already with the punishment I've put it through.
    05 Crystal Gray STi

i was fixin to actually order some redline stuff online (cause the only authorized dealer intown that can get this stuff can't even get the tranny oil) when i came upon this thread... so... full GM(pennzoil) synchromesh it is...

so if i'm gonna use synchromesh for my tranny... what should i use for my rear-diff?

Just to let anyone with questions about the shockproof know that there is a nice comparison chart at redline Check it out, includes API class . I have tested the synchromesh with good results, but I think I'm going to try a full switch to shockproof lightweight just to get a good comparison.
    clutch, shift, gas, clutch, shift, gas, shift, clutch, gas, clutch gas, shift... oops!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.