Exedy clutch break in?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Exedy clutch break in? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just got my car back yesterday with the exedy sport clutch/ flywheel and RA gears installed. I know that the ...

Exedy clutch break in?

Just got my car back yesterday with the exedy sport clutch/ flywheel and RA gears installed. I know that the clutch needs some time to break in. What's the proper procedure?

Initially the clutch grabbed very close to floor. Now the grab point is slightly higher where I would like it. I think this is normal.

I do get a little shudder with engagement in first gear that has decreased already in the last 24hrs. The mechanic reccomended a few soft launches to help break it in.

Anyone else with an exedy sport clutch have a similar experience? I really hope the shudder smooths out totally. The cold clutch shudder was one of the reasons I decided to replace my clutch.
    2002 WRX Sedan-Silver
    Turbo XS UTEC Stage IV (VF34)+TMIC, STI RA gears, Exedy clutch/flywheel

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i have the exedy hyper single plate clutch with the six puck ceramic disk and i installed it with the light fly wheel and i also thought it was very grabby in first with a lot of clutch shudder not much slip at all, but after about 500 miles it got a little better i really had to adjust my driving one night it was just starting to rain about 650 miles on it i dropped it at about 5 grand and blew my tranny, first gear. i am know putting in the ra gear set been waiting 2 months for my car back, i think once you learn the clutch again everything will be fine and my problem was just a tierd and hurting tranny what if your opiuon on the ra gear set

The shudder is still there a bit if I try to slip it in first with moderate throttle. I may try a few medium launches to help smooth it out. I'm just a little hesitant to launch with it shuddering like that.

I couldnt be happier with the gears, very smooth. With the lighter flywheel and the shorter ratios, the car just rips through every gear. Well, except fifth I guess (havent taken up to that speed yet, 115mph+).
    2002 WRX Sedan-Silver

bump.

Its been about a week with the new clutch/ fywheel and RA gears. The clutch shudder is still there during 1st gear engagement, but not nearly as bad as the cold clutch shudder with the OEM.

I have still not really tried to launch hard in first. I feel that the slight shudder may shock the drivetrain under a load. But, I have also heard that a few good launches may smooth out the clutch engagement.

Any advice from someone with an aftermarket clutch?
    2002 WRX Sedan-Silver

Well if you launch and slip hard you may just glaze the clutch over a bit and solve your shuddering problem in a not so nice way.
    clutch, shift, gas, clutch, shift, gas, shift, clutch, gas, clutch gas, shift... oops!

i have the exedy single plate flywheel combo an it drives me nuts, but im glad to hear its not just me. 1 out of 3 times it shudders, i can get a decent launch with only a little wheel spin in it but it scares me to do it.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.