Subaru WRX Forum banner

Exedy clutch break in?

10K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  POLAR 
#1 ·
Just got my car back yesterday with the exedy sport clutch/ flywheel and RA gears installed. I know that the clutch needs some time to break in. What's the proper procedure?

Initially the clutch grabbed very close to floor. Now the grab point is slightly higher where I would like it. I think this is normal.

I do get a little shudder with engagement in first gear that has decreased already in the last 24hrs. The mechanic reccomended a few soft launches to help break it in.

Anyone else with an exedy sport clutch have a similar experience? I really hope the shudder smooths out totally. The cold clutch shudder was one of the reasons I decided to replace my clutch.

#2 ·
i have the exedy hyper single plate clutch with the six puck ceramic disk and i installed it with the light fly wheel and i also thought it was very grabby in first with a lot of clutch shudder not much slip at all, but after about 500 miles it got a little better i really had to adjust my driving one night it was just starting to rain about 650 miles on it i dropped it at about 5 grand and blew my tranny, first gear. i am know putting in the ra gear set been waiting 2 months for my car back, i think once you learn the clutch again everything will be fine and my problem was just a tierd and hurting tranny what if your opiuon on the ra gear set

#3 ·
The shudder is still there a bit if I try to slip it in first with moderate throttle. I may try a few medium launches to help smooth it out. I'm just a little hesitant to launch with it shuddering like that.

I couldnt be happier with the gears, very smooth. With the lighter flywheel and the shorter ratios, the car just rips through every gear. Well, except fifth I guess (havent taken up to that speed yet, 115mph+).

#4 ·
bump.

Its been about a week with the new clutch/ fywheel and RA gears. The clutch shudder is still there during 1st gear engagement, but not nearly as bad as the cold clutch shudder with the OEM.

I have still not really tried to launch hard in first. I feel that the slight shudder may shock the drivetrain under a load. But, I have also heard that a few good launches may smooth out the clutch engagement.

Any advice from someone with an aftermarket clutch?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.