I think my clutch might be going out. Please tell me I'm wrong.

This is a discussion on I think my clutch might be going out. Please tell me I'm wrong. within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was driving home on the interstate today and I was going about 60mph in 4th gear in my stock ...

I think my clutch might be going out. Please tell me I'm wrong.

I was driving home on the interstate today and I was going about 60mph in 4th gear in my stock manual tranny 02 WRX. I floored it and once the boost kicked in, the clutch slipped a bit (revs went up about a grand and fell back down). This couldn't be anything other than clutch slippage could it? It's fairly cold (somewhere around 30F) here if that makes a difference in your opinion. The car was warmed up.

This is the second car I've had with a manual tranny and I've never had a clutch go out on me so I don't know what it's like but my guess is this is it. During normal driving, it seems fine, but I don't think my experience today was a good thing. My WRX has just a shade over 30k miles and I am going to take it into the Subaru dealership for the 30k mainenance soon and I will have them take a look at it.

I bought the car from a Ford dealership with 12,000 miles on it so I don't really know too much about how it was treated by the previous owner, but I don't think I have done anyting that would lead to the clutch going out this fast (no racing of any kind).

What do you think the chances are that the dealership will fix this under warranty? Almost immediately after I bought the car, they fixed a broken tranny (grinding into 5th gear) under warranty with no questions asked. I didn't realize the problem on the test drive and I wasn't feeling too good about my purchase at that point but the car has been good until now.

So anyway, can anyone tell me something that will make me feel better? This situation is kinda making me pissed. Give me your honest opinions though. The biggest thing I fear is them giving me the "Your warranty has been voided" crap that I hear they are throwing around a lot. I defiantely don't think I deserve that.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Well, if your dealership was cool about the Tranny, they probably won't give you that crap. But 30k is pretty late in the game for a wear item like a clutch.

It could well be wear from the previous owner. We've definitely seen posts on here about kids going through clutches every few thousand miles!

Do you have cold clutch shudder by chance? You might be able to take advantage of the TSB (do a search) to get it replaced as well.

C
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

I got news today that they are going to replace the clutch under warranty so I feel better. I'm suprised at how anyone could destroy a clutch that fast, but then again, I've also been suprised by a lot of things I have read here.

I didn't mention the clutch shudder TSB to them, but I was thinking about that myself. I did have a little bit of that problem, but I never called them on it. It wasn't that bad and I didn't feel like going through the hassle of losing my car for a few days (took 2 weeks when they fixed the tranny). Fortunately, it looks like they are gonna get the new clutch in quickly.

Originally posted by rollsisu
    I got news today that they are going to replace the clutch under warranty so I feel better. I'm suprised at how anyone could destroy a clutch that fast, but then again, I've also been suprised by a lot of things I have read here.

I didn't mention the clutch shudder TSB to them, but I was thinking about that myself. I did have a little bit of that problem, but I never called them on it. It wasn't that bad and I didn't feel like going through the hassle of losing my car for a few days (took 2 weeks when they fixed the tranny). Fortunately, it looks like they are gonna get the new clutch in quickly.
    Buy your Dealer roses..............

You be da lucky man

Shotgun

My clutch shudder fix was done in half a day. The Palm Chrysler Subaru dealership rocks.
    clutch, shift, gas, clutch, shift, gas, shift, clutch, gas, clutch gas, shift... oops!

Originally posted by GV27
    But 30k is pretty late in the game for a wear item like a clutch.
    ? Do I understand right that 30 is late for a clutch change?
    I have only weared out one clutch this was on a bmw520@130k miles.
    My audi A4 drove 90k miles before I sold it. And my wrx now has 40k miles on it all on stock clutch and no slippage.

I have of course heard about people that wear out a clutch on a few weeks.. LOL.. ok we have time for a short story

My stepfather works as an mechanic and replaced a clutch for a customer. (An old man). A few weeks later he came back and complained about the clutch beeing weard out again and that my stepfather had done a bad job. Ok so he don't want to start an argument with the customer so he replaces the clutch again free of charge.

A few weeks after the old man came back and also this time the clutch was broke.. My stepfather could not understand why this was happening and went out on a testdrive as a passanger. It did not take long before he figured out why the old man's clutch broke so soon.

What the old man did was to add some (alot) of trottle and use the clutchpedal for speed adjustmens ! LOL...
    Silver -02 Impreza WRX