Transmission warranty woes only (problem occurrence log) - Page 9
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

This is a discussion on Transmission warranty woes only (problem occurrence log) within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was getting close to buying a WRX, then started reading this thread. I was going to get a 2004, ...

Not sure I want to buy a WRX any more...

I was getting close to buying a WRX, then started reading this thread. I was going to get a 2004, thinking the tranny was different, but now I don't think so.

My last hope would be to get a low mile 2002 or 2003 (to get the cheaper price for an older car) and pay to have the gears changed out to stronger ones.

Does that seem like a valid solution? Essentially, I could get a 2002 with 30k miles on it for $18k, pay $2,000 to get new aftermarket gears. Wouldn't that be better than paying $20,000 for a 2004 with 20k miles on it? (Using rough numbers of course) I would just hate to get a newer one and have to get the gears replaced several times, since it doesn't seem they are using any better parts.

What is a good aftermarket gear set to get? How much for parts and labor to install it? Would it solve all of the flaws that the WRX has?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I've just took in my 2004 wrx with 35,000 miles...after my 30,000 mile service i got TERRIBLE 3rd --> 4th gear grinds its' gross and i feel like a turd driving cause it does it ALOT and sounds terrible. I also have problems getting in 1st...stopped or rolling...so i took it in and the whole day it never once grinded fo rme so i figured i'd get there, they'd drive it and say ther'es nothing wrong...but alas....i was wrong..it did it them...1st gear grind, 3rd - 4th grind...so they orderd me a new 1st/2nd and 3rd/4th gear pack! WOOO HOOOO!!!! Getting those installed on monday...

they also mentioned that there is an "updated 1st gear" that they will be putting in...but he didn't know what was "updated" about it. Oh well..i'm sure anything would be better than it is right now!

key words that i used when explaining the problem
    "normally during shifting there is small resistance before going into gear..when it would grind there is no resistance, it just goes in and sometimes it's just 1 tooth that connects then it goes, other times its more"

"at a stop if i try to put it in first, it feels liek there's a brick wall blocking the path...opening the door and using my foot to roll forward doens't help, blipping the throttle doesn't help, i just have to keep holding it forward and after a few seconds it goes in"

YESSS! i've been worried for the past 3 weeks since i got the service that iw as going to have to pay for everything...but i guess subaru is much nicer on warranty work than Land Rover was cause i got skrewed every time i went to land rover!
    Last edited by SchmilK; 10-07-2005 at 11:41 AM.
    ('._-=SchmilK=-_.')
    i'M a FReaKy STReaKeR LiKe WiNNie THe Poo
    T-SHiRT, No PaNTS, aND i DaNCe THe BooGaLoo

Quote Originally Posted by bergie33
    I was getting close to buying a WRX, then started reading this thread. I was going to get a 2004, thinking the tranny was different, but now I don't think so.

My last hope would be to get a low mile 2002 or 2003 (to get the cheaper price for an older car) and pay to have the gears changed out to stronger ones.

Does that seem like a valid solution? Essentially, I could get a 2002 with 30k miles on it for $18k, pay $2,000 to get new aftermarket gears. Wouldn't that be better than paying $20,000 for a 2004 with 20k miles on it? (Using rough numbers of course) I would just hate to get a newer one and have to get the gears replaced several times, since it doesn't seem they are using any better parts.

What is a good aftermarket gear set to get? How much for parts and labor to install it? Would it solve all of the flaws that the WRX has?

stick to getting an 04, their lower gears are as wide as the RA gear sets. I did everything I could to my 2004 gearbox and didn't have any issues with it.

Grrrr....4 days of driving a Hyundai Elantra and Subaru still doesn't have all the parts they ordered and my car is in pieces at the shop so i can't take it while they wait for parts GRRRRRR....this car sucks...driving this car is even worse....i want my subie back!
    ('._-=SchmilK=-_.')

Holey cow! 1 week later i just got home for a wonderfully spirited drive! Shifting gears feels SOOOOO different! The resistance going into 1st is gone, i shifted 3rd to 4th and it felt SOOOOO nice! The force felt going into each gear isn't as hard as it was before and it just rolls right into gear. I'm very surprised at how it feels now. I'm not sure what/how something went wrong in there, but there defintely was a problem and it's now fixed. YAAAAY WARRANTY!
    ('._-=SchmilK=-_.')

Holy crap! Reading this thread has just about changed my mind on buying a used 02 WRX wagon.
    What a damned shame.
    Wonder if the 04/05 Forester XT has a better tranny?
    Last edited by stockdad; 10-28-2005 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Needed to add the '04'

wow

well i just had a good run in with a similar if not the same problem, my car keeps having the gears pop out and im not sure if its the sycros or if its the pressure plate cause it does it when i let off the gas, and also when im just driving...anyone have an answer, and o yeah i hvae a warrentee, and those mothers are goin to be giving me a new tranny...if its a serious problem...which it is.

Second gear synchro gone prob.

Hey guys, here are my troubles....
    '05 WRX 5 spd, lately an intermittent problem where second gear just "disappears", as if there is no shifter gate for the shifter to go into, no grinding, noises, anything.....2nd gear just gone. It will randomly resolve itself and then shift fine until the next time it happens, which could be ten minutes or ten days later. Definately seems to happen more after a hard run through first gear where I am accelerating quickly and then try to shift, and second's not there. I am thinking it's the synchro, but I would think it would happen all the time if the synchro had gone bad.
    Here's my prob: some basic mods. Uppipe, downpipe, computer reflash (stock catback). To replace the synchro (if that's the prob), the whole tranny has to be dropped, at a cost of a week down-time and maybe around 1300-1500 dollars. Am I reasonable in assuming none of this will be covered under warranty??? I know, I know, the mods....only defense I have is that the tranny and second gear especially is a known weak link. Haven't done any 5000 rpm clutch dumps....and if they list abuse I would think the clutch and first gear would be banged up too. -sigh-

add me to this one too

06 wrx wagon, 6300 miles. i pulled out of the drive way, and when i put it in first, it popped out, i finally got it in first and dropped the clutch...popped and rolled about 10 feet. dealer denied warrenty work, so im paying 5300 bucks on it. new transmission, clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, and throwout bearing. they showed me the tranny and clutch disk. first gear was completely stripped off the input shaft, and the first output gear had about 90% of the teeth broken and missing. the clutch springs were loose where all of the internal support had broken and flung apart. ****ed up the pressure plate and flywheel. should be fixed in about a week and a half. they gotta order everything.

:edit: i never had a problem with the tranny really, i always thought it was a bit notchy, and it whined in first and second quite a bit.
    Last edited by silverstreakin; 12-15-2005 at 05:41 PM.
    2006 Subaru Impreza WRX sport wagon
    1993 Toyota Scepter turbo

you can get a six speed installed cheaper than that man!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH
    you can get a six speed installed cheaper than that man!
    +20! $5300 is a huge kick in the nuts....i can't believe it's an 06!
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

Quote Originally Posted by silverstreakin
    add me to this one too

06 wrx wagon, 6300 miles. i pulled out of the drive way, and when i put it in first, it popped out, i finally got it in first and dropped the clutch...popped and rolled about 10 feet. dealer denied warrenty work, so im paying 5300 bucks on it. new transmission, clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, and throwout bearing. they showed me the tranny and clutch disk. first gear was completely stripped off the input shaft, and the first output gear had about 90% of the teeth broken and missing. the clutch springs were loose where all of the internal support had broken and flung apart. ****ed up the pressure plate and flywheel. should be fixed in about a week and a half. they gotta order everything.

:edit: i never had a problem with the tranny really, i always thought it was a bit notchy, and it whined in first and second quite a bit.

ACK!! did you look around to find other alteratives? $5300 is a whole crapload of money for rebuilding the trans. You could have gotten a KAAZ gearset with aftermarket flywheel and clutch installed less money. Hell, I spent less money than that on my MRT gearset. Had you sidestepped the clutch many times before this failure? I know it's not an excuse the transmission should be able to hold up to the rigors of what the car can do(especially Subaru claiming sub 6 second 0-60 when the only way to do it is by sidestepping it), but it could be the cause. Did you try to call SoA and see what they said? I couldn't sit back and eat $5300 without putting up a fight.
    an 05 wrx wagon with a few mods and an 06 G35 sedan with none.

Second gear problem.

Hey I have an 05 wrx and when I start driving my car every morning it has problems down-shifting from third to second. Is this just because the car is cold or is there a mechanical problem? Theres also a weird noise in second when I break with it. It sounds like a bad bearing but I know nothing about transmissions. Any help would be great. Im taking it to the dealership tomarow to get the vent fixed on the dash because it broke and ive only had the car for a month.

02 wrx wagon...3rd to 4th gear synchro...totally stock wrx, totally stock, complete with RE90 and about 40% of my stock pads still left on the car...47000 miles never raced, never off roaded...WARRENTY DENIED BASED ON DEALRSHIP CALLING IT ABUSE will cost 3600.00 I smell something bad!

Well, that ain't right. You need to talk to the regional warranty person. He's the
    rep for SOA out in the field and is higher up the food chain than the dealer.
    Try 1-800-SUBARU3 or 1-800-782-2783. that'll get you customer service in
    Cherry Hill.
    As far as the field guy goes, a couple of years back the guy's name was
    Heinz, I don't know who it is in CA right now.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.