Transmission warranty woes only (problem occurrence log) - Page 7
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Transmission warranty woes only (problem occurrence log) within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; not that i advocate defrauding, but, how will subaru ever know it was changed back to stock? When they see ...

not that i advocate defrauding, but, how will subaru ever know it was changed back to stock?
    When they see the heads on bolts and nuts are warn in places where they didn't work, they will know someone other then subaru worked on the car...... It's not hard to tell when people have worked on a car. Since it was under warranty, noone should have touched the car in places where it has not been worked on by subaru. They can look through their records, see what they've worked on, and tell you that you're car is no longer covered under warranty because someone else worked on it. Mechanics know what's up. I've heard of this happenning b4, lots of times. Like I said, people are lucky subaru doesn't make a habbit of sicking their lawyers on people. It would probably be better to leave the mods on an if they say anything argue that the mods have nothing to do with the broken part... That's just my opinion thought.

peace

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by hippy78
    When they see the heads on bolts and nuts are warn in places where they didn't work, they will know someone other then subaru worked on the car...... <snip>
    FWIW,
    I had a certified Subaru dealership repair my broken transmission at 3,900 miles. This past weekend when installing an exhaust system, many non-Subaru and mis-sized bolts were found through out the engine compartment. It made me furious to see that the Subaru Service Center at my local dealership was so careless in reassembling my drive train. So I guess when I see worn nuts and bolts, and English sized bolts cross threaded into my engine block, I'll know that it was indeed the dealership that performed the work!

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Bayley
    FWIW,
    I had a certified Subaru dealership repair my broken transmission at 3,900 miles. This past weekend when installing an exhaust system, many non-Subaru and mis-sized bolts were found through out the engine compartment. It made me furious to see that the Subaru Service Center at my local dealership was so careless in reassembling my drive train. So I guess when I see worn nuts and bolts, and English sized bolts cross threaded into my engine block, I'll know that it was indeed the dealership that performed the work!
    They put sae bolts in the bellhousing???

Originally posted by trainrex
    They put sae bolts in the bellhousing???
    .yup.

I Support ClubWRX
    How did you find out?

i put my car in yesterday and now they wont even tell me whats wrong only that they are going to charge me out the a$$ so i am going down there i a couple of days to raise hell

Over the weekend I decided to upgrade the exhaust. In the process of doing so, I found:

a) Two of the thru bolts holding the downpipe to the turbo were the wrong size (more SAE bolts!) No big deal, they are just thru bolts. More annoying than actually damaging.

b) The Banjo bolt for the oil line on top of the turbo was no more than finger tight. I am amazed that the oil line never leaked.

c) Two bolts holding the trans to the engine block (bellhousing) were another set of SAE (i.e. NON-metric) sized bolts. Thankfully, the idiots put too short of a bolt in the engine block for the bellhousing, so I had enough thread depth to insert the PROPER sized bolts without opening up the holes and re-tapping.

Yes indeed... Dealership service centers, are the best there is!

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm not sure why they would have unbolted the turbo. You don't have to touch the turbo when removing the trans

...my point exactly!

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Bayley
    ...my point exactly!
    I would definately raise hell

well my car is finished and they did not cover it on the warrenty but they did reinstate my warrenty saying that if it happeend again they might cover it but SOA does need to fix the problem before selling it to anyone

Please Help With These Questions!!

Ok rex guys and gals, a couple of things.
    I have a '96 Impreza Outback wagon with 110K miles and my tranny/clutch are awesome. I love that freakin' car. I've given a deposit on an '03 wrx wagon with 17K miles on it which I haven't yet seen in person or driven. (internet deal)

1) Is it the same tranny in the wrx as my Outback?
    2) Will I be able to tell if there are any probs when I test drive it.
    3) I'm having the guy that owns it now bring it to Subaru for a full inspection before I get on a plane to go buy the thing. Will they be able to detect problems? (Hmmmm, will they even tell me if they do)
    4) This is the most important one! When/if I do get it, what is the exact product and weight oil/tranny fluid that I should replace the stock crap with?? I heard RedLine mentioned but what is the exact product that I should use?

PS. Am I making a mistake getting a wrx???????

Thanx All!!
    Last edited by Harpo; 02-09-2004 at 07:48 PM.

Re: Please Help With These Questions!!

Originally posted by Harpo

4) This is the most important one! When/if I do get it, what is the exact product and weight oil/tranny fluid that I should replace the stock crap with?? I heard RedLine mentioned but what is the exact product that I should use?
    Originally posted by 04EJ25
    I switched to RedLine's 75W90NS tranny fluid.
    You could probably also check the owner's manual. I am going to replace my transmission fluid when I get my ScoobySport Stage 1+ stuff.

i did it again but this time at the strip so i think i will upgrade my tranny cause these oem pieces of trash are killing me where can i get a good set

Add me to the list of transmission problems. I bought a used rex from a local subaru dealership with 24,000 miles on it. I now have 25,500 and blew the syncros in third gear and I am having BIG problems trying to get them to honor the warranty I paid $2000 for. I called SOA and they are like well, you knew the car was "modified" when you bought it so we might not be able to fix it for free. OK if modified means a cold air intake and big decals yes I guess that extra 4 hp blew up the transmission and it has nothing to do with junk Subaru transmissions. Ok I saw this aftermarket part act passed in congress in 1975 about how they have to prove that this actually occured because of these mods. PLUS, they never told me they rebuilt the trans right before I bought the car when I specifically asked if there had been any problems with it before I bought it. So I will be calling the BBB tomorrow and getting a lawyer if I have to.