Subaru WRX Forum banner

Transmission warranty woes only (problem occurrence log)

117K views 266 replies 113 participants last post by  AKESREX 
#1 ·
need new tranny

i just got my wrx,,,,i have around 5k on it and one day we had a little snow and i was fooling around doin donuts and then after that night...my tranny was messed up....NOw everytime i shift from 1st to 2nd my gears grind...i thought it was a sincro...but the dealer is rebuilding my tranny...I think that it shouldn't do that no matter how hard u beat on the car....

#152 ·
Subaru's Responsibilty to us

I do want to say I wish subaru made an effort to inform their buyers how to shift their cars properly, and make clear that they will break easily with stress. Im sad that I wasnt aware of this and now Im going to end up spending money on my brand new 2006 wrx tr to fix the transmission.

#153 ·
waiting for response

My transmission just went out last Friday on my 2002 WRX (77000KM = ~48000 miles). I downshifted in 3rd gear at 100KMh (60mph) and the tranny just blew up. I towed it to the dealersgip 3 hours away. When I got there they said that that car is modified, we might not put this on warranty! I only changed the exhaust (including uppipe and downpipe) and added a cold air intake. The district manager is suppose to visit today. After reading this forum, i'm worried they won't put it on warranty. arghh what a nightmare. Anyone have any tips if they refuse the warranty. What would help make them change their minds?

#154 ·
porkchops said:
My transmission just went out last Friday on my 2002 WRX (77000KM = ~48000 miles). I downshifted in 3rd gear at 100KMh (60mph) and the tranny just blew up. I towed it to the dealersgip 3 hours away. When I got there they said that that car is modified, we might not put this on warranty! I only changed the exhaust (including uppipe and downpipe) and added a cold air intake. The district manager is suppose to visit today. After reading this forum, i'm worried they won't put it on warranty. arghh what a nightmare. Anyone have any tips if they refuse the warranty. What would help make them change their minds?
if your car is modified, all bets are off. unless you get a lawyer, you don't have much of a leg to stand on, which is why this tread got started. you are one out of 10's of thousands of WRX owners going through this.

#155 ·
waiting for response

just called the head mechanic, he hasnn't received a cacll from the district manager yet, he just sent him pictures of the transmissions. The district manager will not see the car. Hope that's good. I will call back in 5 hours... will let you know how it turns out

#156 ·
update on transmission fix

Regional manager still hasn't called but the Head Mechanic is almost finished reassembling the transmission and said it should be warrantied. He said at first that he tought it was power shifted or I missed a gear (which never happened) and I then reassurded him that I always always double clutch even with my Tercel. He then said he had no idea what could of happened and that it would most likely go on the warranty.

It's going to cost me a new pressure plate and clutch, although he said the clutch was still re-usable but not in good shape and he had already installed a new one before I had given a response that I wanted him to change it. I guess it's a good idea to change it. He said it was around 800$ canadian for those (without labour). I could of had a ceremic after market with flywheel for that price... hopefully I won't get charged the labour (don't know yet).

One thing that pisses me off is that he said he replaced the mainshaft and the gears (don't know if it's all 6 gears or just the broken ones (2nd, 3rd and 4th). Don't know if that will cause me grief down the road.

#157 ·
The district manager denied the warranty claim because of abuse. How do they determine this? Are we even allowed to drive the car or else it is abuse. It's going to cost me 3000$ for the replacement parts and labour that they put in... I never agreed for them to change any parts. No way in hell am I ever buying another Subaru.

#160 ·
Subaru doesn't honor warranty claims - Magnusson-Moss Law

Does anyone know of the Magnusson-Moss Law? A dealership cannot deny a warranty claim because of modified part unless they can prove that the modified part directly cause the failure of the warrantied part. How can an exhaust be directly linked to a fault transmission if they can't determine the car was abused?

#161 ·
porkchops said:
How can an exhaust be directly linked to a fault transmission if they can't determine the car was abused?
Service Tech: "He's got this big ass downpipe on his car. I doubt he takes it easy."

Service Manager: "I agree. Probably shifted too fast or hard at some point or another."

The MM Act isn't gonna do squat for you unless you go to court

#163 ·
06 wrx shifting bad

i just took my 06 wrx in today because whenever you would start from a stop as you came off the clutch the car would start to rumble as if i was stalling out then when you shift it would chatter real hard the clutch pedal did not feel smooth releasing it anymore and rarely it wouldn't go to gear . probably for a week or more when i rolled around in low rpm u would hear a squeaking sound and it came when the clutch was only released including neutral.coming into reverse was horrible as you let go of the clutch the car would like jump on me as if u were pumping the brake. one day during last week my dad borrowed my car and wen he came back it reeked like clutch and everyday after that it would smell and i always shift at 3,000rpm well the bad side is i took it to subaru and the guy said its gonna be $435 to lift it and take out my tranny to check it out is that even right? i thought if it was under warranty that its all covered by them i only have 11,700 miles never launched and never shifted hard and please can i get opinions of what u think might be the problem and if u do have to pay for them to look at it

#165 ·
i am completely stock...i called in today and they told me that my clutch was burned i asked wat about my flywheel and they replied that they would check it out as soon as they took it out as for replacing there is a chance i will get consideration for warranty because i have low mileage

#166 ·
'06 WRX Sedan transmission issue!

Hi all:

I have a brand new 2006 WRX sedan Ltd. (bone stock) with around 1800 miles on it. I have noticed that shifting from 1st to 2nd and again from 3rd to 4th at high RPM (greater than 5000 RPM), is not really smooth or quick. I have to be really deliberate with my shifts and have to find the exact angle, else it just doesn't fall into place. I don't see this problem when shifting in less spirited driving and also, shifting to 3rd is always smooth and quick.

Has anyone else noticed this problem? I was a really good boy during the break-in period of 1000 miles so I don't think that should be the problem. I haven't raced the car and nor do I intend to....

Should I take it to the dealer or is this the way it is?? Many thanks in advance for your suggestions......

#167 ·
2006Rex said:
Hi all:

I have a brand new 2006 WRX sedan Ltd. (bone stock) with around 1800 miles on it. I have noticed that shifting from 1st to 2nd and again from 3rd to 4th at high RPM (greater than 5000 RPM), is not really smooth or quick. I have to be really deliberate with my shifts and have to find the exact angle, else it just doesn't fall into place. I don't see this problem when shifting in less spirited driving and also, shifting to 3rd is always smooth and quick.

Has anyone else noticed this problem? I was a really good boy during the break-in period of 1000 miles so I don't think that should be the problem. I haven't raced the car and nor do I intend to....

Should I take it to the dealer or is this the way it is?? Many thanks in advance for your suggestions......
well what i would suggest is maybe you should see how you're really driving you might still be on the gas a lil when your hittin the clutch that would be the reason its not smooth or quick cuz the syncros tighten up but if thats not the problem then you should go to subaru but if they take apart your tranny and they dont find anything wrong with it your gonna have to pay them for labor which sucks goodluck and let me know how it turns out

#168 ·
2006Rex said:
Hi all:

Sounds to me you might be new to subaru trannies. I cant really think of an issue that would justify your complainant other then worn trannies.

Sounds like you might just need to do some quick tranny mods (i.e. bushings or short throw). Good luck

#169 ·
302@12psi said:
Sounds to me you might be new to subaru trannies. I cant really think of an issue that would justify your complainant other then worn trannies.

Sounds like you might just need to do some quick tranny mods (i.e. bushings or short throw). Good luck
Yes, I am definitely new to Subaru Trannies. According to the dealer who sold me the car, I need to "learn" how to work with the Subarus (folks used to Honda gear shifts apparently take longer to get used to the Subie - I certainly fall in that category given that I still have my Prelude). ;)

He has suggested that I place my palm on the shifter and put "slight pressure" down and towards the direction of the next gear and also to try to give it a little bit of gas while the clutch is fully depressed to rev match better.

The 2nd part was a bit of a surprise to me given that I have always been taught to lift the right foot off the gas completely (just like the other poster suggested) while shifting. Can't wait to give all this a try - the Subaru salesman was actually a former race car driver (used to drive an STI) - so he may actually know what he's talking about. :)

Will report back on how it goes....

#170 ·
i havent posted in a while... any way, i broke my tranny about 2 days ago, it is still under the 3/36 warranty, i took it into the dealer and they say that they are tareing it down tomorrow but if they decide it isnt under warranty then just the tare down will cost me 600. i have less mods then i used too, bov. intake, and turbo back. i wasnt racing when this happened but bassically it poped when i took it out of 1st gear (not even an attempt to put it into 2nd) every time it rolls about 3 ft. in neutral it makes a really loud harsh grind and clap. i have no gears what so ever. i dont know what to think but i hope they dont make me pay for it. i wanted to just voice what happened. if they do not pay for this i will be fileing for a massive settlement with as many subaru owners that i can find with a problem with warranties in the past. wish me luck *crosses fingers*

#172 ·
hksimprezawrx said:
i havent posted in a while... any way, i broke my tranny about 2 days ago, it is still under the 3/36 warranty, i took it into the dealer and they say that they are tareing it down tomorrow but if they decide it isnt under warranty then just the tare down will cost me 600. i have less mods then i used too, bov. intake, and turbo back. i wasnt racing when this happened but bassically it poped when i took it out of 1st gear (not even an attempt to put it into 2nd) every time it rolls about 3 ft. in neutral it makes a really loud harsh grind and clap. i have no gears what so ever. i dont know what to think but i hope they dont make me pay for it. i wanted to just voice what happened. if they do not pay for this i will be fileing for a massive settlement with as many subaru owners that i can find with a problem with warranties in the past. wish me luck *crosses fingers*
after they tell you it's not covered, pay them the $600, and pay another couple of hundred to get it towed back to your house.

for what they charge you for a new tranny, you can easily swap in an aftermarket gearset.

#174 ·
I've been thinking about getting an '06 STI and this thread has me a little concerned. Would appreciate it if any of you in the know could help me out with these questions:

Are any of these problems happening to '06 STIs?

Are the trans any different between the WRX & STI?

Do the '05 & '06 STIs share the same trans?

Thanks a bunch

#175 ·
Pwnjabi said:
I've been thinking about getting an '06 STI and this thread has me a little concerned. Would appreciate it if any of you in the know could help me out with these questions:

Thanks a bunch
your avatar makes me laugh, and puke, at the same time. :rotfl:

no, yes, yes.

#176 ·
STI's transmissions are pretty damn rock solid, most the issues you hear of are about wrx's.

Pwnjabi said:

Thanks a bunch

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.