Transmission warranty woes only (problem occurrence log) - Page 6
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Transmission warranty woes only (problem occurrence log) within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Help, i don't know what to do, the dealer is telling me that they are not going to fix my ...

Help, i don't know what to do, the dealer is telling me that they are not going to fix my tranny under warranty, although last week they said it wasn't even a question that they would fix it under warranty. They now tell me i broke it while i was stuck in mud, I've never been stuck in the mud before!!!! The mud under the car is from a camping trip i went on!

What should i do? I'm thinking about calling the BBB and filing a complaint, do you think that will get me anywhere?

I do know one thing, after i get this fixxed, i will not own a Subaru.

I have 18k miles and the tranny stripped 2nd gear, i'm well within my warranty period and the car is completely stock, i really can't settle for anything less than them fixing it under warranty.

The dealer pretty much calls me a lier, this is not how i would exspect a business to handle this problem. I do not appreciate them calling me a lier.

Thanks for any ideas.
    steve
    Last edited by wrxspins4; 12-01-2003 at 09:11 PM.
    2002 SRP WRX Sold .......i need another wrx
    13.3 @99mph with a mbc

03 Honda Element
    1992 Civic hb W/B20 SOLD

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Subaru is making me pay for the fix, like i said, they say i was stuck in mud and broke it trying to get out

Stripped 2nd gear, damaged 2 others and damaged a few syncro's, i'll post pics when i go to the dealership again.

The dealer qouted me 1700 to begin with but i have sence got them down to 1370 without tranny fluid, that really ticks me off, they denied my warranty and are making me pay 1300 bucks and can't throw in some tranny fluid. We'll see if the dealer sticks to their qoute.

Although i'm selling the car when i get it back for a Honda hatch with a B18, i will still enjoy posting here, i still really enjoy the car and this forum is the best i've been on, maybe someday i will afford an STi.

steve
    Last edited by wrxspins4; 12-03-2003 at 08:26 PM.
    2002 SRP WRX Sold .......i need another wrx
    13.3 @99mph with a mbc

03 Honda Element
    1992 Civic hb W/B20 SOLD

JDM,

a) My tranny blew up after:

0 Clutch Dumps
    3900 HIGHWAY miles

“Beating the schit” out of a car is the biggest cop-out lame ass excuse I consistently hear (please don’t take that a personal attack, that was a general statement). First of all, the WRX only has 227 hp in stock form. Really now, how much beating can be done? It almost seems that 200 hp is the industry minimum for “sporty” cars these day.

Secondly, how are all these Z06 Corvette’s lasting with a manual transmission? They’ve got almost twice the horsepower, yet the manual transmissions seem to be holding up just fine. Maybe this is because GM didn’t borrow a transmission from the base model 4 cylinder S-10 pickup truck. Perhaps?

I don’t mean to go off on a tangent here, but these Subaru transmissions ARE NOT failing because of abuse. All automotive engineers are supposed to be designed against a “worse case scenario” AND with an added “safety” factor engineered. I hardly think that 70 mph down a flat highway in fifth gear is considered “worse case”. These WRX transmissions are failing because of poor manufacturing and engineering decisions made by Subaru!

PERIOD!
    End of discussion!

b) I always could have bought the SRT-4, gone noticeably faster and paid $5,000 less. Of course, I would have to get over the whole “wrong wheel drive” concept.

c) The Subaru WRX has the most “quirky” calibrations of any turbo vehicle I’ve ever driven. It’s pretty apparent that Subaru has tuned this vehicle specifically for emissions compliance. Back in the late 90’s, Subaru was having a very difficult time reducing the emissions output to meet with 50 state emissions regulations. Hence the up-pipe cat and the crappy stock calibrations in the ECU.

Originally posted by JDMSubaru
    a) dont beat the **** out of it or drop the clutch...

do you really think an STi can handle clutch dumps any differently?

b) always coulda bought the 2.5rs instead and got no performance

c) ? i dont get it
    The STi's clutch just smells more when you dump it...

I just bought a STi!!!

Love it!!!

Ok i read all 5 pages and I dont think I am ever starting my car again, I have 04wrx, with 2091miles , havnt done anything to it, havnt changed the oil or tranny fluid all being done 12/12/03 (4 days), I guess thats my first mistake, but no use crying over it now, I have done some light spirited driving but nothing really bad, havnt gotten any problems with my tranny yet, I need to know what to do not to get thing problem and incase it does arise what i need to say to the dealer to get the cheapest and best resolution possible

"Secondly, how are all these Z06 Corvette’s lasting with a manual transmission?"

I'd like to say because there are more subaru's out there with less experienced drivers who have no problems with driving incorrectly. ABUSE! <burp>. Most people who drive vettes don't drive them to their limits as much people who drive wrx's(on average), and don't abuse them because most of these people have experience driving cars.

"Ok i read all 5 pages and I dont think I am ever starting my car again, I have 04wrx, with 2091miles , havnt done anything to it, havnt changed the oil or tranny fluid all being done 12/12/03 (4 days), I guess thats my first mistake, but no use crying over it now, I have done some light spirited driving but nothing really bad, havnt gotten any problems with my tranny yet, I need to know what to do not to get thing problem and incase it does arise what i need to say to the dealer to get the cheapest and best resolution possible"

DO NOT
    -push the shifter into gear when it doesn't wanna go
    -see what the fastest speed I can shift from 2nd to 1st is
    -try to slow the car down by downshifting into 1st
    -shift into 1st or reverse from the other while moving
    -see if I can make all the wheels spin
    -do donuts on snow, cause this will obviously mess up the diffs
    -ride the clutch
    -move the shifter without the clutch all the way on the floor
    -eat green eggs and spam
    cause this is all abuse and can cause damage to your tranny. If you don't mod your car, you only have to worry about the clutch wearing out(which means don't ride the clutch). Other then that, the tranny is under warrenty. Obviously if you do things like donuts in the snow(sorry to the guy who did this) the differencials in the car will work harder then normal for an abnormal amount of time(amongs other things). This would be another thing to stay away from. There are so many things people who own wrx's do to their cars that should never be done, and which are not done by most or any vette owners.
    Last edited by hippy78; 12-09-2003 at 12:18 AM.

-shift into 1st or reverse from the other while moving
    -do donuts on snow, cause this will obviously mess up the diffs
    -eat green eggs and spam

These 3 def cause the most harm. Esp the 3rd!!!

I just bought a STi!!!

Love it!!!

You might be an english teacher, but are you a physicist, I dunno about you, but to add 100% of load to the tranny, you'd have to add weight to the car, the weight of a few axles and some gears is not gonna be 100% more drivetrain loss, a wrx might be able to put 100% more load on the tranny because it's awd but you would need more power/wieght on the car to do that and it would only happy in extream circumstances, if the corvette doesn't break it's wheels free, the only difference in load is the drivetrain components, the wrx might have 100% more drivetrain loss then a corvette, but thats not just cause it's awd, obviously an awd car will have more moving parts in the drivetrain, but lighter drivetrain components would obviously help the wrx out, course it costs half as much as a corvette, on the note of grammer and spelling, No MaTtter HOWW i TYPE, the measAge Ise tHee sam, ur pust abut trannsmittion commparisons iss a looot of boolsheit
    Last edited by hippy78; 12-26-2003 at 08:51 AM.

Originally posted by JDMSubaru
    My point is that Corvettes aren't so amazingly quick because they make great WHP or WTQ but because they are packed into an extremely light car body. As far as their transmission, it's 2WD so it is much easier on the gearset, etc. When you have 2 more wheels to turn than a front or rear wheel drive car has to, you are increasing the load on the transmission by 100%. Think about the mathematics I mentioned and the physics involved with it.
    Hmmm... I can't say that I totally agree with you on this one.

A engine that produces, say... 300 ft * lbs of torque will always produce: 300 ft * lbs of torque regardless of how many wheels it's turning. With that said, it is my basic knowledge of mechanic science and gear reductions that would lead me to believe a standard two wheel drive transmission would receive MORE loading than an all wheel drive transmission. Think of it this way, once that Corvette is hooked up (which they actually do well these days), the entire torque load of the engine it transmitted exclusively to the rear (the only) powered wheels.

In our AWD configurations, the torque is split up between the front and rear wheels. Since I am not a master chassis dynamics, or drivetrain engineer for Subaru (nor is anyone else on this board), I cannot give specific numbers, but I would guesstimate that a maximum offset of 90 / 10 would be spilt between the two sets of drive wheel. Again, this would be worse case scenario and the numbers could actually be quite closer to 50 / 50... but this would mean that ONLY 90% of the engine torque (again, worse case) would be transmitted through the primary drive line wheels. A far cry from 200%

However, the internal gear reduction / overdrive done inside the transmission is not effected any way by how many wheels are being turned. All the problems I've seen have stemmed from either broken gears or wasted synchro's. These failures would continue to occur regardless if the transmission was powering 2 wheels, 4 wheels, or a thousand wheels!

With that said, I am sticking by my original statement that Subaru knowingly put an inferior transmission in these WRX's of ours. If I was Subaru of America, I would be taking some serious notes on what happened over at www.blueovalnews.com a few years back regarding the class action law suit regarding power output of the 2000 Mustank Cobra's. The Ford guys won a suit based upon a few measly HP... we are having our transmissions implode on ourselves. Do what you want, but I'm not going to sit her idle and pretend like nothing is wrong.

I know if might sound like I hate my car, but it's actually quite the opposite. When there are so many aspects about these cars that are 100% right on, it makes me furious when I have to put up with other details that were done so completely wrong (i.e. Transmission and engine calibrations). I suppose this is where the after market steps up to the plate, although it sure would have been nice to purchase something that was already complete from the factory.

Finally, the Z06 is indeed twice as much as the WRX ($52,000 vs. $25,000) but the base model Vette can be had for $44,000.

Also, the curb weight of the C5 Vette is 3248 lbs vs. the WRX which weighs in at 3085 lbs. Hmmm... why again is the Corvette so much quicker?!?

I have yet to purchase my WRX so you all have me worried. However i can relate and maybe offer some help? I have owned jeeps for quite some time and they too had many synchro problems in the manual transmissions. It turns out that Redline gear oil as mentioned above seemed to help the problem. Chrysler actually had recommended and used the wrong fluid Gl-3 i beleive and later recommended gl-5 or the other way around. Either way i am wondering if not only did jeep and subaru use the wrong parts, but also the wrong fluid? It seems the redline was easier on the soft brass inserts in the jeep transmissions...ax-5 and ax-15 for those interested. Could subaru be having a similar problem? and should i be concerned and look for a different car?

Thanks
    CHad
    Just driving my mouse and keyboard right now

Originally posted by HardCore
    Anyone else had tranny problems on their 2004 WRX like Bayley? Just got mine and was wondering if perhaps Subaru has addressed this issue by now since most of the complaints on here seem to be about the 2002 models
    I am having some fun problems right now first gear wont even engage i am tring to decide weather to do aftermarket or take off my mods and warrenty it

Originally posted by wrxspins4
    I'm gonna limp into the dealer tomorrow, My 2nd gear is like neutral and it won't even go into 1st gear. Am i gonna need to replace the gear set or the whole tranny, i'm new to breaking things.

I'll update tomorrow

steve
    I am taking mine in tommorow and gettin a free loaner/beater how long should it take so you figure andother thing i took off my intake and bov and now it seems as though the boost lets off real low kinda like a rev limiter

you don't think subaru will know you put the stock parts back on? Good thing I haven't heard of subaru sicking their lawyers on people who defraud them....

I Support ClubWRX
    When you work on cars all the time, and especially the same cars all the time you get to know where every clip goes, wire is routed, and can spot things that are different very easily. For instance.... If you claim your car is stock, and hasn't been touched, how would you explain wrench marks on the bolts for your turbo? Stuff like that is usually a dead give away that your car has been tampered with. Naturally that is if they are really looking. It's like bodywork and painting. I've been around it all my life. I can spot if a car has been fixed and/or painted usually rather easily. The only times I can't is if the repair is reeeeeeeally perfect. Nine times out of ten I see it. So if you are going to try to deceive the dealer (which I do not condone) you have to pay special attention to detail, or you may get busted.

Edit: Here is an example. Some downpipes will be to close, and/or rub the ac drain hose coming out of the firewall. You need to trim that hose a little to prevent melting. If you put your stock downpipe back on, it is doubtful that you would think to replace that hose. Dead give away that you had a downpipe installed. Stuff like that.
    Last edited by Trainrex; 01-09-2004 at 05:03 PM.

true but lluckly all i can eave my up/down pipe alone because it is a differt warrentie and the only mods i took off were bov and cold air