Transmission warranty woes only (problem occurrence log) - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Transmission warranty woes only (problem occurrence log) within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Anyone else had tranny problems on their 2004 WRX like Bayley? Just got mine and was wondering if perhaps Subaru ...

Anyone else had tranny problems on their 2004 WRX like Bayley? Just got mine and was wondering if perhaps Subaru has addressed this issue by now since most of the complaints on here seem to be about the 2002 models

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

HC,
    They (the mechanics / techs) were pretty quiet about what the replaced, and why. Like I said before, I've got a feeling SOA isn't telling us everything (surpise there!) Got a +1,000 mile road trip this weekend, we'll see how everything holds up.

Yo Bayley, my parents live near the edge of West Bloomfield & Farmington Hills (actually will be there next week before heading off to Pittsburgh); I'm picking my '04 from Dwyer & Sons Subaru after this weekend (had to order).

Which dealership did you take your complaints to and where are you getting it taken care of?
    Last edited by HardCore; 08-08-2003 at 02:43 PM.

Yes! My 04 with 5K miles is going in tomorrow. No 2nd, terrible 5th gear grind at high rpm... The '04 Tranny has some issues I think...

Gary

Originally posted by HardCore
    Anyone else had tranny problems on their 2004 WRX like Bayley? Just got mine and was wondering if perhaps Subaru has addressed this issue by now since most of the complaints on here seem to be about the 2002 models

Re: ...

Originally posted by Gruppe-S
    The '04 Tranny has some issues I think...
    Anyone know what (if anything) is actually different about the '04 tranny? Is it the same as the '03 (which is supposed to include the replacement parts used to fix the clutch shudder on the '02, correct?). Just picked up my '04 the other day and I just want to be on edge for premature signs of any possibly known problems.

Hmmm... not sure... We've never popped open an 04 tranny before, although I remember not being too happy with the tranny when I first picked up the car about 6 weeks ago... Compared to the 02-03 tranny both the engagement and the shifting doesn't seem as smooth or as crisp... but maybe that's just me???

Gary

HC,
    I picked up my '04 from Dwyer & Son's. I've had good experiences with them to date, Kathy was the sales woman that hooked me up with a sweet deal on my old Van Trade in (owed $10,700... couldn't sell it on my own for $9,500... Kathy got me $10,500 trade in value! )

The service department at Dwyer & Son's was good. Again, they really didn't get into the specifics of what they replaced, or why... but I'm sure they would just recite out of the book whatever they did. Granted, the Forrester was not the WRX I had originally purchased, they did give me a beater... uh, loaner car for the entire duration of the repair.

A close friend of mine has been working as a repair technician / mechanic for the Subaru dealership up in Marquette, MI for the past few years. I told him my story and he too was surprised to hear about the synchro's going out so soon. He commented that more often it's the gears that wear out / strip, not synchro's. He hasn't heard any new information regarding the '04 tranny's other than it's the same piece of schit as the '02 - '03 WRX's.

...should'a waited for the STi. No offense guys, but my WRX is coming up short in many area's:

a) Drive train reliability
    b) Performance
    c) Driveability (ECU strategy)

my friends wrx pretty much grenaded his tranny. they said he bent third gear his 4th gear grinded when shifting into and now they said its due to abuse... he is still arguing with him. i told him that if they are making him pay for a new tranny, he should just sell the damn car after replacing the tranny with a stocker.
    04 r1. 9's bone stock.

How many times is to many times when the tranny starts to grind?
    and if the problem isn't consistant how would subaru know how to fix the tran........i just don't want the problem to get so bad and not be able to drive the car
    thanks

Only 10,000 miles on my '04 WRX and I'm grinding every time I shift from 3rd to 4th. I switched to RedLine's 75W90NS tranny fluid. Maybe that's it???

I just bought a STi!!!

Love it!!!

I had a 3 to 4 grind with like 4k miles turned out to be a bad syncro
    --Little John--

Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    --Colin McRae

"Power is nothing without control"

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/engine-flat-4.gif

"Are you OK to drink?"

I had to have my '03 tranny rebuilt after approximately 3500 miles, 1st and 2nd gear synchros were bad. There was a horrible whining noise when I would let off the gas but still be in gear. I had to go to 2 dealerships, and fight with the district service rep before I was able to get it fixed. Both dealerships quoted it as "normal". I felt like I was going retarded! Then when I took the district guy for a ride, I didn't even make it out of the parking lot before he said "we will fix it". Now 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd grind as lot. Having a rebuilt tranny sucks!
    mods
    --Proud member of "Team Bling"--and team sedan
    originally posted by Zem--So I concede, you are victorious. You, kingb, have vanquished me, Zem, to my proper place. That you for educating me about our respective ranks. I have learned much today

Check out this link:

Ralli Spec

Look under- Sport Parts- Drivetrain- High Strength Gearset- GC8 STi RA Synchromesh Close Ratio Gearset
    I just bought a STi!!!

Love it!!!

I'm gonna limp into the dealer tomorrow, My 2nd gear is like neutral and it won't even go into 1st gear. Am i gonna need to replace the gear set or the whole tranny, i'm new to breaking things.

I'll update tomorrow

steve
    2002 SRP WRX Sold .......i need another wrx
    13.3 @99mph with a mbc

03 Honda Element
    1992 Civic hb W/B20 SOLD

can anyone tell me what signs/sounds to look out for as an indicator for trouble starting to arise with my '04 tranny? just what is this "grind" that everyone refers to betw. gears like?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.