Transmission warranty woes only (problem occurrence log) - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Transmission warranty woes only (problem occurrence log) within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; as someone said above, at least it gives you the opportunity to upgrade to a gearset that is much stronger...

as someone said above, at least it gives you the opportunity to upgrade to a gearset that is much stronger
    Green 98 WRX (Old Gen)
    469hp @ wheels
    Quarter Mile: 10.39sec at 134mph
    Mods: Too much to list, except one: No NOS!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Green 98 WRX (Old Gen)
    469hp @ wheels
    Quarter Mile: 10.39sec at 134mph
    Mods: Too much to list, except one: No NOS!

I don't suppose there's a stock tranny in there, eh?
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

Originally posted by is2scooby

I don't suppose there's a stock tranny in there, eh?
    no, he runs a dogbox. Though he did tell us a while back that he misshifted into 2nd and stripped it clean. Had to get 2nd gear replaced. DOH!
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

Originally posted by is2scooby
    I always cringe when I peek in on that thread.
    yeah too bad jds hasn't replied yet with more info. i still suspect a little too much "spirited" driving combined with more novice manual drivers could be the culprit, but we'll see. not to say anyone doesn't know how to drive, just that the basic market for this car, and the type of car it is are a general tough combination.

dR

what after market parts did he go with? if i were him i would try to find another dealer that would do it or b***h until they do. its worked in the poast for me
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

"Days get shorter, nights get longer, snow gets deeper, life gets better."

The other night, right after my break-in period expired, i grabbed for second, heard grinding, came to a stoplight, tried to put it in first... and nothing, i let the clutch out and it made noise again, so i had to put my flashers on, got the car to roll in second, took a left turn, then i could put it in first again... WTF is goin on with my car???? it seems fine now, but i have a feeling i may be toothless somwhere... Subaru tried telling me it was probably because the clutch fluid was cold... i think somethin fishy is goin on with these subie transmissions, im not a retard driver... but this scared the hell out of me

How do i tell if somethin is FUBAR with the trans?

Add me to the list...

15K miles with TurboXS Stage 4. Grinding into fourth gear under WOT. Syncros going bye-bye. But, it's only just started. Looking into STi tranny or another aftermarket upgrade.

Boohoo...I knew the OEM one wouldn't last.
    2002 WRX TurboXS Stage 4 FOR SALE!
    2000 BMW M Roadster FOR SALE!
    FOR SALE! BUY THEM!

Blown clutch at 9000 miles and now at 14000 my tranny grinds going into 1st and reverse!!!!
    02 Blue WRX Sedan<---Gone but not Forgotten!!!!
    05 WR Blue WRX Sti <---- coming soon

Update:

3-4 shifter fork is dorked.
    4 gear syncro is messed up too.

Getting them both replaced as a temporary stop-gap until after the new year when we swap out the entire piece of crap for the STi 6-speed tranny!
    2002 WRX TurboXS Stage 4 FOR SALE!
    2000 BMW M Roadster FOR SALE!
    FOR SALE! BUY THEM!

I have problem too, I'm in the process now of converting back to stock to try to take it in to the dealer over Christmas, since I'll be off work for 2 weeks. I have 22Kmi. and my clutch is going and 1st has grinded since the car was brand new (only it's gotten worse over time). It grinds into 1st from neutral also. Will report back if SOA doesn't turn me away at the door...

-Jason
    2002 Midnight Black WRX - EJ22 w/ VF30 and all the other stuff to go with it...

***ATTN: Speed Kills! Drive a Honda and live FOREVER. ***

My second gear doesn't work right now. I'm having to shift from 1st to 3rd to get anywhere. For a while the stick was doing this thing wehre it woudl randomly decide to refuse to go into the 2nd gear slot for about 30 minutes and then start wroking agani out of no where. AT this point it's done it but it's been 2 days since it happened and it hasn't gone away. Although now at random times the stick will just refuse to go into any of the slots for about 10 to 15 seconds and then start wroking again- All of the gears except for second, it stays permenantly broke.

I called the Subaru dealership and they said that their technician was on vacation and they would not be able to look at it untill december 23rd. It's december 11th today. If it starts working again that would be nice but they've always told me that they can't look at it untill it's broke right then and there. So now is my chance to get them to look at it. Think they'll give me warranty problems with my new turbo, exhaust and fuel stuff? The exhaust is just about the only obvious modification. They probobly won't even notice that the Turbo isn't stock.

Does any one have any idea what this might be? The car has 24,000 miles on it. The problem does happen a lot more when I'm driving fast. I'll keep posted about what happens.
    Orin's 2002 WRX Features.....
    Injen Cold Air Intake, M2 Up-Pipe, TurboXS Blow Off Valve, M2 3" Turbo Back Exhaust, M2 Up-pipe, Unichip (Tuned by Cobbtuning)
    VF30 Turbo, Walbro Fuel Pump, STI Fuel Injectors, 18" Konig Tantrums, Wings West Pro Wing, etc...

I just bought a 2002 WRX sedan two weeks ago with 12k on the clock and a few days later I discovered a tranny problem. The car grinds going into 5th once the tranny is warmed up. Since it requires driving 5-10 miles before this happens, I did not notice the problem on the test drive. In any case, the car will have been in the shop a week tomorrow. They tell me that hopefully they will have it done Friday. I haven't gotten an explanation of the problem yet, but they did assure me it would be covered by the warranty. The car is bone stock.

I guess I don't know too much about how the previous owner drove the car, but it boggles my mind how things can get f'd up between 4th and 5th. My guess is most of the hard driving would be done in lower gears, so I'm hoping it's just a manufacturing defect and they will get it fixed right.

i have a 4th to 5th gear grind...i dont slam the shifter into gear..i meet with a suvbaru tech tommorrow to show him..they sd something about if the shift fork is damaged its your faulkt..wtf is a shift fork?

Tranny Problems on 2003

Does anyone know if they are fixing this tranny problem on the 2003?? I noticed a lot of people on this thread have the 2002..I must say this thread is making me concerned about buying a REX at all....
    -A

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.