Subaru WRX Forum banner

Transmission warranty woes only (problem occurrence log)

117K views 266 replies 113 participants last post by  AKESREX 
#1 ·
need new tranny

i just got my wrx,,,,i have around 5k on it and one day we had a little snow and i was fooling around doin donuts and then after that night...my tranny was messed up....NOw everytime i shift from 1st to 2nd my gears grind...i thought it was a sincro...but the dealer is rebuilding my tranny...I think that it shouldn't do that no matter how hard u beat on the car....

#28 ·
I agree that Subaru sounds like it's being really closeminded about warranty repairs on the drivetrains of these vehicles. Boo/hiss. It's a terrible thing when the only thing I'm not happy with regarding this car has nothing to do with the car itself but the company that manufactured it!

#34 ·
is2scooby said:
I always cringe when I peek in on that thread. :eek:
yeah too bad jds hasn't replied yet with more info. i still suspect a little too much "spirited" driving combined with more novice manual drivers could be the culprit, but we'll see. not to say anyone doesn't know how to drive, just that the basic market for this car, and the type of car it is are a general tough combination.

dR

#36 ·
The other night, right after my break-in period expired, i grabbed for second, heard grinding, came to a stoplight, tried to put it in first... and nothing, i let the clutch out and it made noise again, so i had to put my flashers on, got the car to roll in second, took a left turn, then i could put it in first again... WTF is goin on with my car???? it seems fine now, but i have a feeling i may be toothless somwhere... Subaru tried telling me it was probably because the clutch fluid was cold... i think somethin fishy is goin on with these subie transmissions, im not a retard driver... but this scared the hell out of me

#41 ·
I have problem too, I'm in the process now of converting back to stock to try to take it in to the dealer over Christmas, since I'll be off work for 2 weeks. I have 22Kmi. and my clutch is going and 1st has grinded since the car was brand new (only it's gotten worse over time). It grinds into 1st from neutral also. Will report back if SOA doesn't turn me away at the door...

-Jason

#42 ·
My second gear doesn't work right now. I'm having to shift from 1st to 3rd to get anywhere. For a while the stick was doing this thing wehre it woudl randomly decide to refuse to go into the 2nd gear slot for about 30 minutes and then start wroking agani out of no where. AT this point it's done it but it's been 2 days since it happened and it hasn't gone away. Although now at random times the stick will just refuse to go into any of the slots for about 10 to 15 seconds and then start wroking again- All of the gears except for second, it stays permenantly broke.

I called the Subaru dealership and they said that their technician was on vacation and they would not be able to look at it untill december 23rd. It's december 11th today. If it starts working again that would be nice but they've always told me that they can't look at it untill it's broke right then and there. So now is my chance to get them to look at it. Think they'll give me warranty problems with my new turbo, exhaust and fuel stuff? The exhaust is just about the only obvious modification. They probobly won't even notice that the Turbo isn't stock.

Does any one have any idea what this might be? The car has 24,000 miles on it. The problem does happen a lot more when I'm driving fast. I'll keep posted about what happens.

#43 ·
I just bought a 2002 WRX sedan two weeks ago with 12k on the clock and a few days later I discovered a tranny problem. The car grinds going into 5th once the tranny is warmed up. Since it requires driving 5-10 miles before this happens, I did not notice the problem on the test drive. In any case, the car will have been in the shop a week tomorrow. They tell me that hopefully they will have it done Friday. I haven't gotten an explanation of the problem yet, but they did assure me it would be covered by the warranty. The car is bone stock.

I guess I don't know too much about how the previous owner drove the car, but it boggles my mind how things can get f'd up between 4th and 5th. My guess is most of the hard driving would be done in lower gears, so I'm hoping it's just a manufacturing defect and they will get it fixed right.

#45 ·
Tranny Problems on 2003

Does anyone know if they are fixing this tranny problem on the 2003?? I noticed a lot of people on this thread have the 2002..I must say this thread is making me concerned about buying a REX at all....
-A

#46 ·
I lost 8 teeth off 2nd gear at 27k, (I paid for: tranny/clutch/flywheel/labor) I fugure I have another 30k till it goes again......the way SOA is handling the failure of the 5 speed has made me think twice about owning another subaru! I now have a forester 5 spd in my car, feels better than the origional......BTW all imprezas/forester/outbacks have the same 5spd.

hello Audi/BMW for the next car.

Nate

#49 ·
'spare' bolt on drain plug magnet

I was doing maintenance yesterday and planned to change the gear oil to synthetic. Imagine my suprise when I pulled the drain plug oil and found a loose bolt stuck to the magnet. The bolt doesn't look like it was ever run in, but has a couple of small chingos that lead me to believe it hasn't spent it's entire life attached to the magnet. I called the dealer and they assured me that it must have come from the floor in my garage...the battle begins. I can't say that I have any trouble with the tranny, some minor grinding putting it into reverse if I'm in a hurry, but none of the other symptoms listed in this thread. I've attached the same photo that I e-mailed to the dealer...we'll see where this leads.

#51 ·
I have an '03 wagon with 5900 miles. It was in the shop for 1 week with a very loud, speed dependant grinding coming from the transmission. The faster I went the louder and faster the noise. It's hard to describe, but it kind of sounds like poor AM radio reception. Doesn't matter what gear, clutch in or out, accelerating or deaccelerating, noise is always there. After a week of driving a focus I was informed by the dealer that there is something internally wrong with the trans (duh!) but at this point the parts are supposedly on "backorder". They have another WRX in the shop for trans work taking up a rack but they told me to drive it in the mean-time. So, I'm driving it at the moment. No shifting trouble at all, I can get into 1st gear at 20mph. I just hope it doesn't grenade on me, although it might be better to get a completly new unit rather than just some new parts put in this one. I guess I'll have to wait and see

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.