Transmission warranty woes only (problem occurrence log) - Page 18
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718

This is a discussion on Transmission warranty woes only (problem occurrence log) within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Cleatus181 So I bought mine in 02 and a year later at 18,000 miles my trans got ...

Quote Originally Posted by Cleatus181 View Post
    So I bought mine in 02 and a year later at 18,000 miles my trans got stuck in 2nd, which ended up being the shift fork. They wouldn't warranty it, said I had been off-roading it because there was mud from my dirt driveway underneath. So I had them replace it (at the time $4000) and everything has been cool since, until a week ago. Shifted into 2nd at about 5000 and BANG! Pretty frightening pictures.
    Time to upgrade to hardened straight cut gears?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Fly'n Brian View Post
    Time to upgrade to hardened straight cut gears?
    Thats the plan. I'm in the middle of deciding if I want to rebuild it with the RA gears or bite the bullet and do the 6 spd swap. I just found a great deal on an 07 6 spd with only 13000 miles with everything from the trans to the hubs. I might hop on that. It just means I'm replacing more things that have already got almost 100,000 miles on and are probably heavily worn.

Wrinklechops

3rd-4th grind. Short shifter and bushings screw me?

OK guys, my 05 is going into the shop in a few days. I have less than 1000 miles left on my 60k Gold Subaru Warranty and I wanted to get this checked/fixed if I can before the warranty is toast.

From neutral, it's sometimes really hard to get into reverse unless I play with it. Won't go into 1st gear unless I'm completely stopped or rolling at like >5mph. Worst part is though, under "spirited conditions", the 3rd to 4th shift is like nails on a chalkboard. Grinding BAD! The only way I can get it not to grind is if I shift very slowly!

Just talked to the dealer on the phone, and asked if it was the synchros for example if that would be covered under my Gold warranty, and they said they would have to take it apart and look. Now I know that's standard protocol on their end, but they did say to me that they'd be able to tell the difference between a possible mis-shift, premature failure, and abuse. How much difference between all those 3 could there be?

I have never dumped it/launched it/tracked it. I do get on it on the highway on-ramps sometimes, and like I said when I shift fast into 4th it makes you want to cringe.

Would my Cobb short shifter and front and rear bushings void my warranty do you guys think? What about my Whiteline gearbox bushing mounts?
    I have been having this grind since well before I recently installed those parts...

2002 Transmission Issues

Hello this is going to be my first post here, and Ijoined specifically for this thread.
    Anyway, I've been reading through part of the thread (I'll have to read the whole thing when I have time) but I've already noticed the same theme that matches the problem I've been having.
    Here's the whole situation;
    Two years ago, August of '07, I bought a used 2002 Subaru WRX Sport Wagon from Carmax (mistake was the Carmax part, I can still feel that price0gouging pain...), and bought an extended warranty with it. Within 3-4 months of buying it the 1st gear blew entirely. Total lockup dead as a door nail and second gear was barely functional. Carmax took it to a local transmission specialty store who examined the transmission and said what a lot of people here have seen..."The gears are showing wear that indicates it's been raced a lot.." um guys, I bought it USED, I don't know the previous owners driving history. Wekk they were able to 'convince' the Warranty company that it was necessary repairs and still covered so they replaced the clutch...well that fixed the 1st gear dead issue...
    I started having the current problems shortly after I got out of the shop; 1st gear difficult to shift into when changing from 2nd even at a slow speed. Poor acceleration out of first gear and such.
    5-6 months later I had finally gotten fed up enough to take it back. Carmax sent it to the same transmission place, they said the new clutch was at fault and replaced it, but again no work done on the transmission.
    Now a year later or so, I'm still having the same issue so I decided to finally get it dealt with and took it into to get it fixed along with some other minor issues but insisted it go to the local Subaru dealer here in Austin to check out.
    Carmax had their techs check it and said "Cannot replicate the problem". Subaru had THEIR techs check it and said the exact same thing. So I went to the dealership after work and drove it with the actual tech in the car to SHOW them the issue and again with one of the senior techs, guess what they said?
    "Oh it's designed so you don't shift into 1st from second at high speeds. Se if you accelerate just a hair you can shift into second..."
    This is BS. I'd been able to shift int 1st from second at 20mph and faster in the past, why did that change? I've been trying to hunt down articles on the same issue and the ones I have found are generally the exact same issues. I'm going to try and find a local custom shop that does a lot of work on WRX's and see what they think. I know for DAMN sure there's an issue and I'm just pissed that none of the shops I've had to deal with so far believe me, or are flat out lying. I am going to talk to Carmax sometime this morning and tell them what I've found and ask them to convince the Warranty company that the car needs a new damn transmission, which is the part that has NOT been replaced, and see if they will.
    If anyone has any other advice or information I'd love to see it. I'd also like to find out if there is a list anywhere with as many people as possible on it that have experience the same transmission issues on 2002 WRX's. If anyone has a link to something like that I'd to see that as well.

Taking mine in.

It would be easier to get a vegan to eat meat than get my 1st into gear unless Im at a dead stop. It also chirps the gears whenever downshifting from 5'th into 4'th.

I picked the car up a week ago with just under 59k miles and now its pinned at 59k. I figure Illl get it taken in while its still under warranty.

Mods:
    TurboXS Intake
    TurboXS BOV
    Perrin TBE
    Perrin Springs
    Cobb APv2 (Which will NOT be in the car when I take it in )
    Current Ride:'04 JBP WRX Stage 2!

Previous Ride: 96' Civic EJ8 - Sold

1st & 2nd Shudders

I've just started having the "shakes" with my 02 wrx @ 77k. Bought it used and haven't done any engine mods. Replaced the clutch about 5k ago and it worked great. Now the whole car shudders when I'm engaging 1st or 2nd gear unless I have the rpm's around 2k. Any ideas what this is? Had a shop look at it, but without taking the tranny apart he said it might also be a hot spot on the clutch rather than a trans prob. Anyone else find this same issue? I'd love to know what I'm in for $$$ to get this repaired.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermyhr View Post
    I'd love to know what I'm in for $$$ to get this repaired.
    if it's a bucking bronco, i'm thinking fuel injectors, sparkplugs, or ECU before the transmission.
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

Of clutches, gears and general warranty BS

Original owner here. If you've read through this thread you can
    come to some general conclusions.
    1) The transmission on the early cars is the same basic stuff
    that Subaru spec'd out years ago on 100hp cars and it's the
    proverbial 60lbs in a 50lb sack on a turbo car.
    2) The clutches are a compromise. In order to get it to live,
    fairly aggressive friction material is used. That same material
    is prone to chatter and the extent of it's being a PITA is
    particularly dependent on operating temperature.
    3) Transmission-related warranty issues have a pretty high
    rate of occurrance. SOA and transmission shops know this.
    Like the cop hiding behind the telephone pole, they've already
    "got your number" so to speak.....

On my '02, it took three visits to the dealer transmission tech
    to get my issue resolved. They never replaced it with a new
    transmission, preferring to have the tech "practice" on my POS.
    And this was on a brand new car. It (trans) was never right
    from day one. It wouldn't shift between 5th and 4th without
    making noise. Forget about going into 1st gear at anything
    over 10mph, it never could. Fixing it always involved the same
    three parts on the work order (syncro, blocker and gear).
    I talked to the tech a couple of times and "lead" him - "do you
    think the case is not quite right" and he never would admit
    that there was anything like that wrong. Whatever it was, it
    was an out of the ordinary problem, because it happened
    every 4500 miles or so and after that third repair at 26000
    or so, I never had the issue again.
    I replaced my clutch at around 30k because it started to slip.
    It had always been prone to chatter and was particularly
    chatter-prone when cold. It's still the same way at 95k miles.
    SOA knows about this issue as well and has changed the clutch
    friction material at least once that I know of.....

ughhh!!! another bites the dust

well guys im another victim of this **** ass build of a transmission. it all started with not being able to shift into first until a complete stop then grinding when trying to shift into 4th gear. then the other night im driving home doing 35mph and something went in the tranny , it now makes a constant noise and cant even shift into 2nd gear. iv had 2 people look at it and both say its the tranny. and after reading all these posts i now know it wasnt all me . im kinda stuck though not sure wat to do , should i just get a used tranny or build one im kinda looking for the cheapest way out of this... another suby down makes me want to cry looking at the rally blue beauty sitting in my yard collecting dust ...any pointers ???

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by daviduxresll View Post
    I'm planning a business trip to Norwegian, Sweden, as well as Finlandin April, 2010. Might anyone kindly to tell me personally how many days it will be,usually, for Easter holiday in these three nations? Thank you!
    Do you know where you are right now by chance?
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Posted this over in the NASIOC but got no help, hoping the forum here can shed some light on what i should do?

Name: Kevin B

Make: Subaru WRX 2009

Mileage: 34,200

Time Out Of Use: 3 days

Problem And Likely Cause: Broken teeth in primary drive gear of transmission. needs new transmission

Modifications: magnaflow catback exhaust ONLY

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): YES

Reason Given For Denial: Abuse?, "not normal wear and tear", "not a normal issue"

Your Story: While backing out of my house for work noticed a large "clunk" noise, as i shifted into 1st i noticed the same noise, after accelerating and leaving i heard a rattle in between gears as i drove, i immediately shut it down and had Subaru tow it to the dealership i always use (every oil change and service), Dealer says the broken teeth are not normal and will not be covered under warranty. Car has never been tracked/raced, no abuse , been driving manuals my entire life never had issue. Car purchased new, all dealer services and oil changes.

Car is still in full factory warranty, Only 2.5 years old.

What do i do? I've already contacted Subaru national customer service and am awaiting a "technical" inspection, i was just test driving a Forester for my wife but at this point i don't think i can stay with Subaru let alone buy another Subaru with this kind of issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
    Posted this over in the NASIOC but got no help, hoping the forum here can shed some light on what i should do?

Name: Kevin B

Make: Subaru WRX 2009

Mileage: 34,200

Time Out Of Use: 3 days

Problem And Likely Cause: Broken teeth in primary drive gear of transmission. needs new transmission

Modifications: magnaflow catback exhaust ONLY

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): YES

Reason Given For Denial: Abuse?, "not normal wear and tear", "not a normal issue"

Your Story: While backing out of my house for work noticed a large "clunk" noise, as i shifted into 1st i noticed the same noise, after accelerating and leaving i heard a rattle in between gears as i drove, i immediately shut it down and had Subaru tow it to the dealership i always use (every oil change and service), Dealer says the broken teeth are not normal and will not be covered under warranty. Car has never been tracked/raced, no abuse , been driving manuals my entire life never had issue. Car purchased new, all dealer services and oil changes.

Car is still in full factory warranty, Only 2.5 years old.

What do i do? I've already contacted Subaru national customer service and am awaiting a "technical" inspection, i was just test driving a Forester for my wife but at this point i don't think i can stay with Subaru let alone buy another Subaru with this kind of issue.
    Kevin- if there truly is no abuse, then you have no worries. The path you're on is the right one.
    Dealer is the 1st step. There is a warranty "guy" who answers to SOA. They're not attached to the dealship level, he/she is corporate and answers to Cherry Hill. I no longer can recall what title he/she has in the
    Subaru hierarchy. All the major manufacturers have a traveling warranty guru- it's usually done by region.
    He/she is the person you need to have see the car. Hopefully that's the process that's happening on your
    trans situation. That is what is SUPPOSED to be happening..... lets put it that way.
    My 2002's trans situation never got to the warranty "guru." The dealership had a trans guy that had
    about 40 years expertise in nothing but transmissions- 25+ with Subaru.