Transmission warranty woes only (problem occurrence log) - Page 15
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718 LastLast

This is a discussion on Transmission warranty woes only (problem occurrence log) within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Superorb I read a few pages of this and am wondering if there's some correct way to ...

Quote Originally Posted by Superorb View Post
    I read a few pages of this and am wondering if there's some correct way to drive a subaru 5sp. I just came form a honda 5sp which I love, and this Scooby is tough to master. I get loads of chatter going into 1st gear from a stop, and also 2nd gear from neutral. It's really pissing me off that I can't figure it out. So, is there a thread explaining how to drive a scooby?
    Its probly never going to feel like the honda. Your just going to have to get used to it. Give it time and youll master it. 1st and 2nd piss me off sometimes.
    CGM

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I read a few pages of this and am wondering if there's some correct way to drive a subaru 5sp. I just came form a honda 5sp which I love, and this Scooby is tough to master. I get loads of chatter going into 1st gear from a stop, and also 2nd gear from neutral. It's really pissing me off that I can't figure it out. So, is there a thread explaining how to drive a scooby?
    #1 thing is don't force it. If it's not wanting to go in then let the clutch out in neutral and then try again. If no matter what it grinds, then you have other issues and something's wrong.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

2004 WRX - JBP:Stage 2:13.93 @ 96

Wingless alas. Too bad it took a 50 ton truck to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by powder View Post
    #1 thing is don't force it. If it's not wanting to go in then let the clutch out in neutral and then try again. If no matter what it grinds, then you have other issues and something's wrong.
    I have also had trouble let's say going over a speed bump. I come up to the bump in 2nd gear, then take it out of gear while going over the bump. Then when I goto put it in 1st it won't want to go in, maybe because the car is moving? Also if I'm slowing down to take a corner, and I downshift to a lower gear, it doesn't want to go in, even if I match revs. Sometimes it goes in, but it's always difficult to get it to go in. There is an aftermarket shifter on the car if it makes a difference. It does feel a bit notchy but I'm used to slick Honda gearboxes.

I have also had trouble let's say going over a speed bump. I come up to the bump in 2nd gear, then take it out of gear while going over the bump. Then when I goto put it in 1st it won't want to go in, maybe because the car is moving? Also if I'm slowing down to take a corner, and I downshift to a lower gear, it doesn't want to go in, even if I match revs. Sometimes it goes in, but it's always difficult to get it to go in. There is an aftermarket shifter on the car if it makes a difference. It does feel a bit notchy but I'm used to slick Honda gearboxes.
    Try switching to a synthetic. I use Redline MT90 and it made a world of difference. How many miles are on the car and did you put the shifter in? If you didn't put the bulk of the miles on it and bought it used there is a decent chance that it was abused.

When you change your tranny oil, dip your hand in the used oil and check for chips off of gears or a really thick film. An abused tranny would have bigger chips and a high mileage would have that film or grease i mentioned cuz over time the particles that come off of the brass syncro's will mesh w/ the oil and create a grease. Also, reach up into the bung hole (huh huh huh, i said bung hole) and check to see if there's a magnet (dunno if subies are equipped w/ one or not) that catches all the chips before they exit and if you can, try to see if there's anything big just sittin there.

It could just be an old tranny oil thing and that may fix it.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

Quote Originally Posted by powder View Post
    Try switching to a synthetic. I use Redline MT90 and it made a world of difference. How many miles are on the car and did you put the shifter in? If you didn't put the bulk of the miles on it and bought it used there is a decent chance that it was abused.

When you change your tranny oil, dip your hand in the used oil and check for chips off of gears or a really thick film. An abused tranny would have bigger chips and a high mileage would have that film or grease i mentioned cuz over time the particles that come off of the brass syncro's will mesh w/ the oil and create a grease. Also, reach up into the bung hole (huh huh huh, i said bung hole) and check to see if there's a magnet (dunno if subies are equipped w/ one or not) that catches all the chips before they exit and if you can, try to see if there's anything big just sittin there.

It could just be an old tranny oil thing and that may fix it.
    It has 72k miles on it and I got it on Saturday. It was easy to change the fluid in the honda, what's involved with changing it in this one? Can I use that GM syncromesh stuff?

***** to get in first gear, it's what makes a subaru a subaru.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    ***** to get in first gear, it's what makes a subaru a subaru.

Can you type it with spaces so the stars don't take over? Su.cks? It's a PITA is what it is, subaru or not...

It has 72k miles on it and I got it on Saturday. It was easy to change the fluid in the honda, what's involved with changing it in this one? Can I use that GM syncromesh stuff?
    oil's gotta be a 75w90. that's what's meant to run in this tranny. and yes, all suby's have problems w/ first gear. mine does also. just be gentle and you'll get used to it.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

I was just curious if anyone's run that GM syncromesh stuff. I don't want to put anything crappy in there. ANYTHING to allow it to run better/last longer. I don't plan on ragging this out, it needs to be a reliable daily driver to haul me and my crap around and look nice doing it

Where can I find a how-to on flushing the tranny fluid?

thought ide inform you that 3 months later my tranny pops one more time... bye bye 1st and 2nd gear... any way, this is the third tranny to break....

1st @ 1,500 miles

2nd @ 33,000 miles

3rd @ 36,000 miles

fruck this and fruck subaru.. im parting out my car who wants what i gots....

^^^That sucks

Whats you mods and what year is the broken suby?
    CGM

click my avatar.... all information and mod list is up to date and correct

Wow someone else with tranny problems. I'm on my 3rd tranny being installed. CV coupler busted and went through the tranny. Anyone ever seen that before???
    Cobb AP stage 2
    Perrin TBE with uppipe
    GP MOTO TMIC

wuts up guys im new here but I was talking to some kid today about WRX's and sti's and i was interested in the wrx b/c i want to buy one but he kept telling me that the wrx transmissions are shyt and that the sti transmission is soo much more reliable than the WRX. Even a normal driver will go threw 2 tansmissions, why is this. Would you guys recommend getting an STi over an WRX, b/c i didn't want to spend more than $18,700,000 and i know that the STi is faster 6 speed and all that, but besides that whats makes the STi's tranny sooo much better.

a retard will go threw 2 transmissions driving normal. there are plenty of people on here with lots of horsepower that are still on stock tranny and then there are others that are almost stock and blow the tranny. it is all how you drive and how hard you shift and whether or not you launch. that being said the sti transmission is totally different as it can handle a lot more abuse, but then again it is not invincible.
    2004 WRX Sti Cobb Stage 2
    GO COUGS!!!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.