Transmission warranty woes only (problem occurrence log) - Page 12
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast

This is a discussion on Transmission warranty woes only (problem occurrence log) within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi all: I have a brand new 2006 WRX sedan Ltd. (bone stock) with around 1800 miles on it. I ...

Question '06 WRX Sedan transmission issue!

Hi all:

I have a brand new 2006 WRX sedan Ltd. (bone stock) with around 1800 miles on it. I have noticed that shifting from 1st to 2nd and again from 3rd to 4th at high RPM (greater than 5000 RPM), is not really smooth or quick. I have to be really deliberate with my shifts and have to find the exact angle, else it just doesn't fall into place. I don't see this problem when shifting in less spirited driving and also, shifting to 3rd is always smooth and quick.

Has anyone else noticed this problem? I was a really good boy during the break-in period of 1000 miles so I don't think that should be the problem. I haven't raced the car and nor do I intend to....

Should I take it to the dealer or is this the way it is?? Many thanks in advance for your suggestions......

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 2006Rex
    Hi all:

I have a brand new 2006 WRX sedan Ltd. (bone stock) with around 1800 miles on it. I have noticed that shifting from 1st to 2nd and again from 3rd to 4th at high RPM (greater than 5000 RPM), is not really smooth or quick. I have to be really deliberate with my shifts and have to find the exact angle, else it just doesn't fall into place. I don't see this problem when shifting in less spirited driving and also, shifting to 3rd is always smooth and quick.

Has anyone else noticed this problem? I was a really good boy during the break-in period of 1000 miles so I don't think that should be the problem. I haven't raced the car and nor do I intend to....

Should I take it to the dealer or is this the way it is?? Many thanks in advance for your suggestions......
    well what i would suggest is maybe you should see how you're really driving you might still be on the gas a lil when your hittin the clutch that would be the reason its not smooth or quick cuz the syncros tighten up but if thats not the problem then you should go to subaru but if they take apart your tranny and they dont find anything wrong with it your gonna have to pay them for labor which sucks goodluck and let me know how it turns out
    sUBARu's dont drive we FLY!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 2006Rex
    Hi all:

Sounds to me you might be new to subaru trannies. I cant really think of an issue that would justify your complainant other then worn trannies.

Sounds like you might just need to do some quick tranny mods (i.e. bushings or short throw). Good luck
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi
    Sounds to me you might be new to subaru trannies. I cant really think of an issue that would justify your complainant other then worn trannies.

Sounds like you might just need to do some quick tranny mods (i.e. bushings or short throw). Good luck
    Yes, I am definitely new to Subaru Trannies. According to the dealer who sold me the car, I need to "learn" how to work with the Subarus (folks used to Honda gear shifts apparently take longer to get used to the Subie - I certainly fall in that category given that I still have my Prelude).

He has suggested that I place my palm on the shifter and put "slight pressure" down and towards the direction of the next gear and also to try to give it a little bit of gas while the clutch is fully depressed to rev match better.

The 2nd part was a bit of a surprise to me given that I have always been taught to lift the right foot off the gas completely (just like the other poster suggested) while shifting. Can't wait to give all this a try - the Subaru salesman was actually a former race car driver (used to drive an STI) - so he may actually know what he's talking about.

Will report back on how it goes....

i havent posted in a while... any way, i broke my tranny about 2 days ago, it is still under the 3/36 warranty, i took it into the dealer and they say that they are tareing it down tomorrow but if they decide it isnt under warranty then just the tare down will cost me 600. i have less mods then i used too, bov. intake, and turbo back. i wasnt racing when this happened but bassically it poped when i took it out of 1st gear (not even an attempt to put it into 2nd) every time it rolls about 3 ft. in neutral it makes a really loud harsh grind and clap. i have no gears what so ever. i dont know what to think but i hope they dont make me pay for it. i wanted to just voice what happened. if they do not pay for this i will be fileing for a massive settlement with as many subaru owners that i can find with a problem with warranties in the past. wish me luck *crosses fingers*
    whats a signature?

be prepared to file suit & if they're not going to cover it it's going to cost you 600 just for the removal & teardown. Replacement OEM parts & shoptime is going to run you at least 3 grand.

Quote Originally Posted by hksimprezawrx
    i havent posted in a while... any way, i broke my tranny about 2 days ago, it is still under the 3/36 warranty, i took it into the dealer and they say that they are tareing it down tomorrow but if they decide it isnt under warranty then just the tare down will cost me 600. i have less mods then i used too, bov. intake, and turbo back. i wasnt racing when this happened but bassically it poped when i took it out of 1st gear (not even an attempt to put it into 2nd) every time it rolls about 3 ft. in neutral it makes a really loud harsh grind and clap. i have no gears what so ever. i dont know what to think but i hope they dont make me pay for it. i wanted to just voice what happened. if they do not pay for this i will be fileing for a massive settlement with as many subaru owners that i can find with a problem with warranties in the past. wish me luck *crosses fingers*
    after they tell you it's not covered, pay them the $600, and pay another couple of hundred to get it towed back to your house.

for what they charge you for a new tranny, you can easily swap in an aftermarket gearset.
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

hey gary, i went through the same thing. i broke my 1st gear, went to dealer to claim warranty, got denied. spend over 2500 to get my **** fixed.
    SOCAL F4#02 OG member

2002 PSM WRX stage 6
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

I've been thinking about getting an '06 STI and this thread has me a little concerned. Would appreciate it if any of you in the know could help me out with these questions:

Are any of these problems happening to '06 STIs?

Are the trans any different between the WRX & STI?

Do the '05 & '06 STIs share the same trans?

Thanks a bunch

Quote Originally Posted by Pwnjabi
    I've been thinking about getting an '06 STI and this thread has me a little concerned. Would appreciate it if any of you in the know could help me out with these questions:

Thanks a bunch
    your avatar makes me laugh, and puke, at the same time.

no, yes, yes.
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

STI's transmissions are pretty damn rock solid, most the issues you hear of are about wrx's.

Thanks a bunch

Quote Originally Posted by AngelBoy
    your avatar makes me laugh, and puke, at the same time.

no, yes, yes.
    Haha, cool.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH
    STI's transmissions are pretty damn rock solid, most the issues you hear of are about wrx's.
    Thanks for the info. I wonder how Subaru could put out a car like the WRX with a less than solid tranny. It boggles the mind. Your name startled me at first. My bro's name is Brian and last name initial is H

I Support ClubWRX
    Haha, cool.

Thanks for the info. I wonder how Subaru could put out a car like the WRX with a less than solid tranny. It boggles the mind. Your name startled me at first. My bro's name is Brian and last name initial is H
    The tranny isnt glass, it's more then capable of putting up with stock power levels and normal driving. If the tranny wasnt going out in these cars people would be taking out driveshafts and half shafts. Something has to take the abuse of the launch.

The STI tranny is very stout for a daily driver through and should give no issues.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

guys, i talked to the subaru dealership today and they say, and i quote, " your second and third gear are broke" ... any way, they are still waiteing to hear from the district manager to say whether or not its going to be covered under warranty. the wierd thing is that when i was driving and the thing poped, i shifted out of first gear into neutral..... not even touching third or second, huh.....

Quote Originally Posted by hksimprezawrx
    guys, i talked to the subaru dealership today and they say, and i quote, " your second and third gear are broke" ... any way, they are still waiteing to hear from the district manager to say whether or not its going to be covered under warranty. the wierd thing is that when i was driving and the thing poped, i shifted out of first gear into neutral..... not even touching third or second, huh.....
    but the way you drove before probably weakened the gears.
    same thing what happened with gus, he shifted normally into 2nd and POW dead tranny
    SOCAL F4#02 OG member

2002 PSM WRX stage 6
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R