Transmission warranty woes only (problem occurrence log) - Page 10
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

This is a discussion on Transmission warranty woes only (problem occurrence log) within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey thanks for reading, i wasn't sure anyone was checking...i believe the info I recieved today was his name is ...

Hey thanks for reading, i wasn't sure anyone was checking...i believe the info I recieved today was his name is Jim Bible...I have no idea on how to contact him. I did talk to SOA today, and they are looking into it, however he said once they do and they find that Jim has made his decision...and if it is abuse, I am screwed...I am hoping to keep alot of dialogue open with everyone...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I had problems with 5th gear grinding. 3 seperate visits to the dealer, at exactly
    the same mileage increment each time. They paid for the exact same repair 3
    times. Fortunately for me the "looks like abuse" thing never raised its head-
    I did grease the skids at the service manager level by telling him when it
    happened the first time (4500 miles) that he was dreaming if he thought
    driver error was involved. "Fifth gear, you've got to be kidding, right?" Or
    something to that effect. By the 3rd occurrance at 40-something thousand
    miles, it was pretty much "we'll fix it again free."
    If yours is truly a factual situation, stick by your guns, they are liable.

1st n 2nd

Hey guys what year REX's is this 1st and 2nd gear stuff happening to?

about every year, but sometime in late 03 they widened the gears. That seems to have helped a bit.

I was planning to purchase a 06 wrx, but after reading this thread I think I may go with the 04 A4 I was looking at. Subaru REALLY needs to beef up these tranny's....f-ing insane the amount of problems, with brand new cars none the less! Oh well...

well the grinding and popping out issues have nothing to do with strength. much more trannies grind than actually fail.
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

Guys quick question, im thinking of buying an 03 wrx with 16k miles on it. Was a middle aged guy in the navy who owned it prior, not around alot to drive it. Anyways my question is, i noticed a winding down type noise a few times on the test drive when i was in first and let off the gas at a slow speed. The noise was very short in duration. Shifting seemed smooth and i had no problem getting in and out of 1st while rolling or stoped. It seemed to be coming from the middle to rear of the car. If anyone knows if that winding noise is a bad sign or normal id appriciate your input. I read this whole thread and didnt really notice anything of the sort.
    Last edited by Epik'03; 03-14-2006 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Epik'03
    Guys quick question, im thinking of buying an 03 wrx with 16k miles on it. Was a middle aged guy in the navy who owned it prior, not around alot to drive it. Anyways my question is, i noticed a winding down type noise a few times on the test drive when i was in first and let off the gas at a slow speed. Shifting seemed smooth and i had no problem getting in and out of 1st while rolling or stoped. If anyone knows if that winding noise is a bad sign or normal id appriciate your imput. I read this whole thread and didnt really notice anything of the sort.
    Sounds like it's just "gear whine", which is normal. Nothing to worry about
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

Quote Originally Posted by Epik'03
    Guys quick question, im thinking of buying an 03 wrx with 16k miles on it. Was a middle aged guy in the navy who owned it prior, not around alot to drive it. Anyways my question is, i noticed a winding down type noise a few times on the test drive when i was in first and let off the gas at a slow speed. Shifting seemed smooth and i had no problem getting in and out of 1st while rolling or stoped. It seemed to be coming from the middle to rear of the car. If anyone knows if that winding noise is a bad sign or normal id appriciate your imput. I read this whole thread and didnt really notice anything of the sort.
    Its normal gear wine my 05's had done it since day 1.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Nice thanks alot guys! If all goes well tomarrow i should be the proud new owner of a WRX!
    Getting the car for $17,439. Not a bad price for 16k miles id say, thanks for the info.

I get a little bit of a grind going into 5th

I have a 2002 WRX and the tranny seems fine for all the gears but 5th. I'm wondering if because of the short throw something is messed up. It doesn't always grind into 5th but only when i'm shifting from 4th quick enough that the RPMS don't drop... Do you think it is sincros ???? or maybe it just needs tranny fluid.....

Exactly the problem I had. Took 3 visits to service to get it fixed. Although my
    warranty was long over by the third occurrance, they knew the history and the
    dealer worked on it again for free. I learned a few things from this experience-
    1) My trans doesn't like to see quick shifts into 5th.
    2) The actual mechanic at the dealer said that for some reason on my trans,
    he had to spend a lot of time on gear setup, which he said apparently he
    finally got "right" the third time around.
    3) With three repeat visits to service for the same problem, seperated by
    about 4500-6000 miles each time, with the same three parts being replaced-
    I'm not a transmission repair expert, but something more than those three
    parts being replaced appears to be an issue in my transmission. Perhaps
    my trans case is not quite the way it should be, etc.
    4) Do I think it's permanently fixed? Probably not. I just don't shift aggressively
    into 5th anymore. And there's something about the dealer's easy agreement
    to work on the problem 3 times that tells me they know more than they're
    telling on my transmission and that they'll go to practically any length to avoid
    replacing the whole transmission- which is what I suggested to them the 2nd
    time it happened

Every freakin year

Quote Originally Posted by RAFFY
    Hey guys what year REX's is this 1st and 2nd gear stuff happening to?
    My 05 that i bought new and only am rough on every now and then when i race but 90 percent of the time i drive her normal. Well my second gear had 8 broken teeth, pretty ****ty figuring i only have 19000 miles on it. I am pretty upset as subaru , they were no help at all. They build race cars but you can't race them... anyways, im getting an sti ra gear set put in so i should be happier with that anyways. some words of advice ... don't shift into or out of second hard... seems like second gear is subarus huge weakness.. and save your money,, cause you will have problems with it eventually and it isn't a cheap fix and the warranty won't help you... not at all.. but i still love my rex.. always will.

Quote Originally Posted by Balthus
    02 wrx wagon...3rd to 4th gear synchro...totally stock wrx, totally stock, complete with RE90 and about 40% of my stock pads still left on the car...47000 miles never raced, never off roaded...WARRENTY DENIED BASED ON DEALRSHIP CALLING IT ABUSE will cost 3600.00 I smell something bad!

I got denied to my friend..... it hurts to spend the money.. but i def... got denied.. I thiink something seriously needs to be done.. i don't understand how they can sell a "race car" when it can't even take normal day to day wear and tear..

Quote Originally Posted by WRXRacer02
    I have a 2002 WRX wagon. One of my buddy bought a sedan and has little over 10k on it. His 2nd gear teeth sheared off, simply came off while shifting. He took the car to the dealership and they simply refused to pay him (the car was bone stock), and said would cost him $3000 to put new parts!! He went for aftermarket stuff, which is much better product that the Subaru factory parts, paying same price.

I have heard similar problem in one other incident. I seriously think Subaru is trying to cover up Anybosy knows about similar incidents??
    same here,, same problem, same outcome

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.