Best Short Shifter for the buck...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Best Short Shifter for the buck... within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've seen 5-6 of these things on different websites all ranging from to 0. Shall I go MRT, BPM, ...

Best Short Shifter for the buck...

I've seen 5-6 of these things on different websites all ranging from $80 to $200. Shall I go MRT, BPM, Kartboy, ILM, or STI? The STI unit looks to be a whole assembly (from the pics I've seen). But the others are just the shift rod.

-- Rich

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

From what I've read, the Kartboy has a lot of good reviews. I think, if money were an option, I'd go with that one. I am, however, going to splurge and get the factory one (STi) and then add some "aftermarket" bushings to help stiffen it up a little more. My $0.02
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

That's what I would like to do to, but I know that all STI stuff isn't worth what you pay for it. If an $80 Kartboy is better than the STI, then I'd do that...

-- Rich

Originally posted by BigRich
    That's what I would like to do to, but I know that all STI stuff isn't worth what you pay for it. If an $80 Kartboy is better than the STI, then I'd do that...

-- Rich
    In a separate thread, Dan (god) said that he would recommend the STi shifter as he thinks it is actually a C's shifter (they told him to do the STi one). That's why I'm going to go for that one (plus I can just finance it).
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    STi shifter was worth the money in my opinion. It is the entire shifter assembly, not just the shifter. The STi comes w/ stiffer bushings than OE, but not as stiff as the Kartboy bushings (poly).

I don't have anything to compare to- haven't tried any of the others- except OE and it is a vast improvement over OE.

If money is a big issue try the Kartboy, I know they have many loyal fans.

Big Sky

I'll cast my vote for the Kartboy. I was amazed at how much quicker my shifts got after that thing.
    -jay
    i drive a jeep n stuff.

I was totally satisified with the Kartboy shifter. The stiffer bushings need to be in place though for the best shifting.

The STi has a longer throw than the Kartboy. The shaft of the Kartboy is significantly shorter and therefore the shift knob is further from reach, although I don't perceive this as a problem unless you are 6'5" with teeny tiny arms.

I prefer the feel of my Kartboy, but be aware that you will have to do some very minor trimming of a metal plate that holds the gator in place. I don't think this is necessary with the STi.

At first, it felt much different from stock (much better). Now, I don't notice it any more. I'm very glad I chose the Kartboy as the STi doesn't appear to be much different than stock.

-Pace
    Last edited by pace; 02-22-2002 at 12:02 AM.

I've had the opportunity to run the Kartboy SS with bushing thru the gears a couple of times on a WRX wagon. It is a really nice part. I have no reservations about recommending highly.

-Jim

Pace,

From the pictures I have seen, it seems that the shaft is about 1" shorter. Is that about what you see and does it seem too short or unnatural? How much of a problem is the trimming? Do you think it will be necessary in any case? It somehow surprises me that the short shifter makes contact with the frame where the regular one does not, since the throw is shorter and the diameter of the shaft is thinner.

Thanks
    Last edited by DoubleYourX; 02-22-2002 at 10:04 AM.

Originally posted by DoubleYourX
    Pace,

From the pictures I have seen, it seems that the shaft is about 1" shorter. Is that about what you see and does it seem too short or unnatural? How much of a problem is the trimming. Do you think it will be necessary in any case? It somehow surprises me that the short shifter makes contact with the frame where the regular one does not, since the throw is shorter and the diameter of the shaft is smaller?

Thanks
    I would guess the shifter sits about 1.5" lower than the OEM unit. As well as having a shorter shaft section above the pivot, the section below the pivot is longer, hence compounding the increased leverage from a shorter throw. This in turn moves the pivot upwards, and thus causes the linkage to contact the metal plate. The plate removes with 4 bolts, and you can easily trim it with snips or a dremel. You don't have to remove much material, and I've read that alternatively some people just leave the plate off altogether. Another solution is that you can supposedly just loosen the bolts and move the plate a few mm so it clears the linkage, but I still had very light contact so I decided to trim.

Start to finish installation time was about 30 minutes, including several iterations of trimming and refitting the plate.

The shifter is perfect for me; it just decreases the throw enough to feel the way a 'sports' car ought to, but not so much that the force required to shift makes it a chore. Quality of the item is much, much better than the OEM part also.

If it would help out, I could probably find time this weekend to remove the Kartboy and get the dimensions for comparison with the OEM, which I still have lying around someplace. I'll post it over on the Tutorial forum if I do that.

-Pace

Thanks, Pace, for the clear explanation. Don't remove the shifter for me, though. I don't want to be responsible for scratches on your interior.

Originally posted by DoubleYourX
    Thanks, Pace, for the clear explanation. Don't remove the shifter for me, though. I don't want to be responsible for scratches on your interior.
    Ok, well then at least let me offer an installation tip in case you do purchase a Kartboy: The instructions that they refer you to, tell you to pop the shifter down into the cup by pounding with a rubber mallet. This is an excerise in futility - don't waste your energy! The easiest method is to attach the linkage to the shifter first, then lever the shifter ball down into the cup by pulling back on the shifter.

Good luck.

-Pace

easy fix for the boot plate

instead of trimming the boot plate, you can take it off, bend the two metal mystery tabs up about 30 degrees and put it back on the car rotated 180 degrees. So the mystery tabs face the dash and the slanted corner of the plate is in the lower right corner.
    http://homepage.mac.com/supermarkus/PhotoAlbum1.html

Mullet haiku:
    Daughter's BMX
    Takes me to welfare office
    Trans Am is on blocks

Nice solution, thanks!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.