Trans Decel Grind Noise
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Trans Decel Grind Noise within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I searched all over nasioc and clubwrx for someone with the similar noise that I've been getting since I got ...

Trans Decel Grind Noise

I searched all over nasioc and clubwrx for someone with the similar noise that I've been getting since I got my car. (5 months). I get this strange grinding noise, like the syncros are grinding into each other when Iím decelerating. I also hear the whine that it normally makes. The grinding only happens when I have in gear letting it coast. It stops when I touch the gas. My friend told me the transmission would naturally make more noise since it was closer to you, than in a FF car. Other than that noise and clutch shudder in the mornings; the car runs drives and works excellent. I always baby my transmission, I always rev match. So I didnít really do anything about the noise. Iíve debated with myself if I should take it to the dealership, but I would half to remove my kartboy short shifter. Not to mention a bunch of other aftermarket parts. I was hoping switching to synthetic transmission oil would do the trick. Anyone have this problem?

I hope it isnít syncro/teeth shrapnel loose in the tranny.
    -1986 RX-7 GXL
    -2002 Blue WRX Wagon (given up)
    -2001 Prelude, (sold)
    -1989 Accord, (sold)
    -1984 Dodge RamCharger (Sold)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The infamous deceleration noise returns, it's a part of lots of threads here, and is related to the shudder issue. The deceleration noise, as I've learned, is due to the size of the springs in the clutch assembly, apparently they rattle under those conditions. You can decide for yourself if it's something you want to take in for a new clutch or not, there is a TSB for the shudder. Pros and cons have been debated to death here.

Actually, it has nothing to do with shudder. Clutch shudder is a flywheel/friction plate issue, the decel noise comes from the pinion gear within the gearbox. This seems to be the normal state of things when you unload this Subaru tranny, so unless you are hearing something else, I wouldn't worry.

http://www.turbomagazine.com/feature...ur_wrxgearset/

Check this out, has some pretty good info that might help you.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

Originally posted by spacemanspiff
    Actually, it has nothing to do with shudder. Clutch shudder is a flywheel/friction plate issue, the decel noise comes from the pinion gear within the gearbox. This seems to be the normal state of things when you unload this Subaru tranny, so unless you are hearing something else, I wouldn't worry.
    Okay, but I do believe they are related as a common part of the shudder and deceleration noise is the light flywheel in the first run of WRX's, so I'll give you that I'm wrong on the springs, your're right on the unloading the ring and pinion.

The reason the flywheel is a fix to this then is the newer heavier flywheel must keep the gearbox under load, just an assumption with that but it has been noted by several people who had their clutch replaced due to shuddering have also lost the deceleration noise, the flywheel can be the only common link

Nope. I just got my clutch fixed for the shudder, and I thought the decel noise may have gotten louder if anything...

-snowcat
    <---- my cat doing a hawkeye impersonation!

LOL I guess everything is subjective when no one really knows what's going on!

Drive it 'til it breaks, just like a woman haha I like my deceleration noise anyway, it's great! *grrrrriiiiiiiinnnnnnnniiirrrrrrr*

Thanks for the info, I can sleep better now.
    -1986 RX-7 GXL
    -2002 Blue WRX Wagon (given up)
    -2001 Prelude, (sold)
    -1989 Accord, (sold)
    -1984 Dodge RamCharger (Sold)

Likewise, new clutch, same ol' decel noise. I don't really mind though; it's just a characteristic of the car

Likewise, new clutch, same ol' decel noise. I don't really mind though; it's just a characteristic of the car
    True - I actually think it sounds kinda cool as well!

-snowcat
    <---- my cat doing a hawkeye impersonation!

I just got the "second generation" clutch and pressure plate put in my car. Deceleration is loud as hell. Of course I also have an STi tranny mount and Exedy lightened flywheel. *Shrug* The car is fast as hell, who am I to complain?

-Jim

Just got my Exedy organic clutch installed along with an ACT streetlite flywheel and my lovely grinding just got worse.. YAY!!

Tire Pressure

I was reading on another forum how adjusting your tire pressure so the front is +4-6 over the rears it changes the rolling diameter of the tires to compensate for the weight ov the engine on the front. Reportedly this completely cures the grinding. I'll be trying this later and post my findings. If you don't want to change tire pressure, you can get the same results by stuffing a fat lady in your trunk.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3801103
    2008 WRX 4 door, Access Port, Short Shifter, Megan Racing adjustable coilovers, Strut Bar, Perrin DP, Magnaflow CBE, CAI, AVO 380 Turbo, AVO TMIC, Stage 3 Rallitek Tune More to come....

I have the same noise in a bone stock 2014 WRX with 16,xxx miles, not nearly as loud as some of the videos posted in similar threads, but it is there on deceleration off throttle in 1st and 2nd gears between 1,500-3,000 RPM. Took it to the dealership and had a guy ride with me, it was noisy out and lots of traffic. Was able to produce the sound for him but didn't do it justice to how bad it sometimes sounds. He said the noise is perfectly NORMAL for WRXs and that it's just the transmission.. He said "Papi, just enjoy the car".

I have been enjoying that piece of mind for a bit, but every time I hear it, I think about taking it to another dealership for a second opinion.

Anyone else experiencing this on a stock 2012-2014 WRX?

Also should have mentioned, my tire pressures are at spec, OEM wheels and tiresÖ Trying to find a fix without putting my tire pressures out of wack, or stuffing a fat lady in my trunk, lol.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.