4th gear grind??
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 4th gear grind?? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well recently I have noticed when ever I would shift from 3rd to 4th or from 5th to 4th it ...

Angry 4th gear grind??

Well recently I have noticed when ever I would shift from 3rd to 4th or from 5th to 4th it would grind when I engage it. This happens sometimes when I am daily driving, but everytime I shift agressivelly it would grind. Right now my conclusions are that maybe my 4th gear is little off in teh gear box, or maybe something is wrong with the syncros. Im not sure what could be. I don't think that it is suppose to be like that.
    02 Black WRX
    *My car is dead*

SHE LIVES AGAIN!!!!:thumbup:

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

this used to happen to me from 3 to 4..but only if i shifted real quick..are u pushing down on the cutch all the way?

yeah im pretty sure i push the clutch down. I don't push it all the way when im like driving agressively, I only press it like half way. I don't think this use to happen but recently i haven't been shifting fast from 3rd to 4th so I dunno if it will still happen. What did u do to fix the problem. Oh yea sometimes when i would downshift from 5th to 4th it would also grind.
    02 Black WRX
    *My car is dead*

happened to me, its the syncro on your 4th gear, go get it replaced for free by subaru

Alright thats good. What caused that to happen?? So just go there and tell them to replace my syncro for 4th gear?
    02 Black WRX
    *My car is dead*

Originally posted by BLaKWrX
    Alright thats good. What caused that to happen?? So just go there and tell them to replace my syncro for 4th gear?
    yeah. caused to happen? i have no idea.

Has anyone on here actually had their 3rd - 4th gear changed? I'm at 32K right now and I experience the 3rd to 4th gear grind every time I'm doing "spirited" driving. What can I do? I'm already running NEO Synthetic 75W90 HD and will most likely change over to Redline Synthetic 75W90 HD in my tranny in a few weeks.

Will that solve it?

2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)

Just turned 32k on my 02 and 4th just started grinding as well. It only does it on the up shift. It may want to do it on the down shift but I double clutch and rev match so that may help. I'm just shifting it slower when driving hard. My RA gear box should be done by June. so I'll be then

-Fess

I also had the 4th gear grind but my 5th did it also, when i took it in to subaru they told me they would replace the 3rd,4th,and5th gear synchros. I go the car back last week and WOW what an improvement! Just take it to Subaru and they should fix it for you

Originally posted by tubbytreats
    Has anyone on here actually had their 3rd - 4th gear changed? I'm at 32K right now and I experience the 3rd to 4th gear grind every time I'm doing "spirited" driving. What can I do? I'm already running NEO Synthetic 75W90 HD and will most likely change over to Redline Synthetic 75W90 HD in my tranny in a few weeks.

Will that solve it?
    First, get rid of that synthetic fluid!

Second, refill the transmission case with "GM Synchromesh" gear lube.

Third, take the car on a +100 mile road trip where little shifting is involved.

Fourth, say goodbye to the fourth gear grind.

Seriously, I've commented on this is a few posts already and nobody seems to get it:

Synthetic Gear Lube = Death to Synchro's

Sure, Joe Blow down the street has an '0X WRX with XX,000 miles on synthetic gear oil without any problems. Yet, I've heard / seen MANY people with synthetic gear lube that HAVE had serious synchro problems.

The fix is easy and very effective. The choice is yours: do it and be happy, or live under the false pretenses that synthetic gear lube is somehow better for the transmission.

I had the 4th gear grind problem as well and had it fixed for free by Subaru in my '04 w/ about 18,000 miles on it.

The funny thing though is that the mechanic said it wasn't a common problem.....I would beg to differ by the sounds of it

Arrow

Someone please describe "grind" to me... is it the noise that you hear when say don't fully have the clutch disengaged and it does a "rrrrrrrrr" noise, or are we talking like a high pitched whistle noise? Going from 4th to 5th I hear a high pitched whistle noise...

Going from 2nd to 3rd gear it "feel" notchy... no actual grinding noise though...

Anyone know why?

15,000 miles.

-Nigel
    ~NSG~

Interestingly enough I encountered a 4th gear grinding problem as well.

For the record, I have been running Mobile 1 syn 75W-90 since I replaced the clutch at 25,000 miles approx. I started having problems at 35,800 miles when the weather got warm, and the car is warm (driving for more than 15 minutes) the transmission grinds. The longer I drive it, and I'm assuming the more heat that is transfered to the transmission through contact with the engince, friction, etc, the worse the problem gets.

I took it to the dealer, and they came back and said that I have a problem with 4th gear, "and 1st gear is screwed up too". It's getting fixed under waranty no questions asked. This is despite the 17's, Azenis, SCCA stickers, and 3" cat back amont the highly visible mods. Also, this same dealer refused me waranty work on an EGT sensor that failed because it was "screwed into a non factory pipe". Now in hindsite that EGT call was a good one, I have now had a second sensor go and currently run a resistor in it's place.
    Bryan
    NWOR SCCA STX #66
    It's Blue, there's Mods, if youre reall that interested message me and I'll tell you what they are :-)

grinding also

I have 23,000 miles on my 04 WRX and just a couple of days ago i started grinding shifting from third to fourth, i put redline tranny fluid and it made it worse, now when i downshift from 5th to 4th it grinds also. It does it from 3900RPM+. I already had problems with subaru that would not cover my stock uppipe which i had a precat melt and blamed it on an CAI. My car has had a long history of problems whcih they know about. I dont know if they will fix it under warranty. It sounds to me like my 4th gear syncro is going. What should i do?
    2005 Electric Blue Mitsubishi Evolution VIII,
    2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII
    Helix Catback
    Helix Downpipe
    Ultimate Racing test pipe
    Txs Mbc
    Greddy Type-s bov

www.myspace.com/evil_evo_viii
    www.mitsubishiunited.com
    2004 Subaru Wrx-Sold

I don't know what the problem is. I first had a problem with grinding when i shift into 2nd periodically (not all the time), reverse grinds everytime i put it into it, NOW 4th gear grinds evertime i'm above 3000 rpms and now it's going into the dealer to be fixed. Any comments would help.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.