STI Short Throw Shifter Discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on STI Short Throw Shifter Discussion within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am in the market to buy a wrx in the next couple of months, I'm wondering if the short ...

is the stock short throw worth it?

I am in the market to buy a wrx in the next couple of months, I'm wondering if the short throw shifter is worth the money, does it have better feel, quicker shifts, or is it just a gimmick?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i test dove one with the short throw. it just seemed more notchy not that mutch of a differance in travel perceved while driving. i would save my money for something else. imo

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd say it's worth it... most kits are pretty nice but try them out before you get them because some are shorter or stiffer than others.

dubyarex,

I had the opportunitu to run thru the gear on a friend's WRX wagon with the kartboy short shifter. I was awesome, leaps and bounds above the shift quality of the standard shifter. The shifts were short, but not too stiff and the gears just seemed to mesh a lot quicker with a more positive feel.

Since I have no experience with any other short shifter in the WRX, I say get the inexpensice Kartboy kit. It's nice.

I have the armrest extension in my car, so I'll never go short shift in my WRX. I do plan to put Kartboy bushing in to improve the feel of the standard shifter.

-Jim

wait so... DONT get the armrest extension if you plan on using a short throw?

why can't you have both arm rest extension and short throw kit?

i dunno.. Plat?

I may just replace the bushings like you say, Jim but I still don't see the relationship between armrest extension and shift throw.
    In my mind the armrest extension is a necessity for long distance comfort.

dub
    Last edited by dubyarex; 01-11-2002 at 11:55 AM.

Re: is the stock short throw worth it?

Originally posted by dubyarex
    I am in the market to buy a wrx in the next couple of months, I'm wondering if the short throw shifter is worth the money, does it have better feel, quicker shifts, or is it just a gimmick?
    I have the stock short shifter. I like it but it is notchy. It is definately better than stock
    2002 WRX Wagon
    Midnight Black Pearl
    www.sanzones.com
    K&N Filter
    Short Shifter
    Ti knob
    More to come soon

i'm sure plat will be responding again soon, but in the mean time just wanted to post to shed some light on the subject. i talked to him about the short shifter / extended armrest combo and he said that the armrest comes out too far and would get in the way of shifting. i havent experienced this personally, but just wanted to relay what he told me on to anyone anxiously waiting for a reply. check back for plat's response for a full and detailed answer...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    My rex came w/ the arm rest extension (nice option- sunglass/misc storage) and later I purchased the STi short throw shifter. No problems whatsoever. The STi shifter (which is the entire shifter assembly- Kartboy, others just replace the shifter shaft) has firmer/shorter throws than stock. The bushings appeared to be stiffer than stock (not as stiff as Kartboys- many use Kartboy bushings w/ the STi setup). Installation was a little bit of a hassle (tight quarters to work w/) but not bad.

Try to get the dealer to throw it in.

Big Sky WRX

the arm rest extension causes some drivers to whack their elbows on it while shifting. i've heard this from a few people, but it all depends on your build i guess.
    i have the stock short throw (no armrest extension), and i love it. i drove a few with the regular shifters on test drives, and when my wagon arrived with the shorty it was quite a noticable difference. there are less expensive shifters out there, but i figured in the installation costs, (because i'm not too confident in by technical abilities) and it made sense. so, if you're gonna install it yourself, you should probably consider an aftermarket.
    also, i've read that the harder bushings make it feel even better; a more solid and precise feel without the "squishy-ness" of softer bushings.
    black bullet

HOW to install a STI Short Shift?

I bought a STI Shrort shift and i would like to know where i can find some explanation on how to replace the complete assemble.
    Thanks
    Tuca

I Support ClubWRX
    It didn't come with instructions?
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

NO.

It came in OEM box from Subaru but no manual inside.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.